What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Where is the best place for car reviews? - Rohan Williams

Hi

We all love motors and we all love to review good and bad things about car manufacturers, dealers and brokers, right?

But where is the best place to review and monitor these companies?

Where is the best place for car reviews? - Oli rag
I would hazard a guess you’re going to tell us shortly and post a link to it?
Where is the best place for car reviews? - Will deBeast

Based on what I see on other forums:

• Someone asks for thoughts on a car for a particular purpose.
  • Most people recommend the car they currently own/brand they rave about. Which may or may not meet the needs of the OP.
  • It turns into a popularity contest.
  • People who own cars with dodgy reliability records maintain their car is still the best.
  • The whole thing gets repeated a month or so later when the next person comes along for advice.

Why is this? Partly brand loyalty, and people don't like to think they may have made a bad choice - so try to persuade others to follow them, to gain some form of vindication.

Magazines may not help much, especially if you're interested in long-term ownership decisions.

I think there is also an element of local dealer quality. There are some dealers I would never, ever visit again. Indeed, I had new number plates made up for my current car to get their name off my vehicle. But the same marque has another local dealer who is excellent, and who I would buy from again.

The debates also reflect the fact that very few people have actually driven or owned a wide variety of cars. Most of us may drive a few every few years when we're selecting our next car, but that's about it. A few may hire cars on a regular basis, so get an idea of how each of them drives. I gained a lot of knowledge when I managed a medium-sized fleet as a small part of my job a while ago - but that doesn't really help me now.

I recommend joining owner forums and having a good look around at common faults before buying. It was through such a forum that I learned my mx-5 mk3 has a small inherent fault which allows water to drip through to the passenger footwell, where there are some important electrics. The fix takes 30 mins and costs about £5 as a preventative measure.

As for choosing cars, the best source of knowledge for choosing between cars comes from people in the trade. We're very fortunate to have a small group on here. They give excellent advice.

Edited by Will deBeast on 31/05/2020 at 08:05

Where is the best place for car reviews? - barney100

You tube has loads of reviews and you can get some feel for a car. This site has lots of knowledge on cars so a question on here can be very useful. I tend to stick with the same two makers now as I know I stand a decent chance of having a reliable car.

Where is the best place for car reviews? - Andrew-T

Based on what I see on other forums:

• Someone asks for thoughts on a car for a particular purpose.
  • Most people recommend the car they currently own/brand they rave about. Which may or may not meet the needs of the OP.
  • It turns into a popularity contest.

Some of that happens, I agree. But look around and you will find other messages saying Don't get one of these, whatever you do. Quite often French cars, for example.

There may be another factor: most modern cars are reliable (on the whole) so more people will tend to replace with another the same or similar, only switching marques after some disappointment or when their needs change radically.

Edited by Andrew-T on 31/05/2020 at 09:39

Where is the best place for car reviews? - ManYad

well put! :)

I find one particular reviewer on youtube very much biased towards german car makers, and the japanese ones get a bad name from them. Reliability definitely isn't high on their list!

M

Where is the best place for car reviews? - Falkirk Bairn

Auto magazines, Newspapers write articles on new cars. They have have long term tests of say 6 months.

However never a really bad word about any car - Why? They want adverts, there are no mentions of dodgy autos, faulty clutches, 3 cylinder engines likely to pop their clogs. ........

I used to provide loan equipment (not cars) to reviewers - there were many but more than a few had loyalty to certain brands and no matter if your product had some advantages over their "favourite" it would not be mentioned.

Trips abroad with "nights out" were common - we provided a factory canteen lunch on the odd occasion.

Where is the best place for car reviews? - badbusdriver

I would hazard a guess you’re going to tell us shortly and post a link to it?

I think i'm with you here Oli, bit of a whiff of pork products here!.

The title of the thread asks about car reviews, the actual post is asking about reviewing (and monitoring?) manufacturers, dealers and brokers.

Which is it?, because those are very different things.

Where is the best place for car reviews? - elekie&a/c doctor
Can’t wait for the op to post his next comment “problem solved” .
Where is the best place for car reviews? - Engineer Andy
Can’t wait for the op to post his next comment “problem solved” .

Maybe we should open up a sweepstake on what they are going to see and link to. It's not as though there's much better to do at the moment. We need something humourous to cheer us up.

My 'money's' on the OP posting a link to a US car dealer's website. Second place - African-based 'tribal medicine' for male impotency...

Where is the best place for car reviews? - Big John

Link to product that makes pork based products fly - oink!

Edited by Big John on 31/05/2020 at 19:28