What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Renault - Renault to close 4 factories in France. - focussed

The foundry in Brittany, in Caudan (Morbihan), not far from where we live and about a kilometre from our local Honda dealer, produces cast iron parts for engines, chassis and gearboxes, with 385 employees. Tuesday evening, the CGT union section of the Morbihan site said it was very worried.

The Flins-sur-Seine (Yvelines) factory assembles the electric city car Zoe and the Nissan Micra. It currently has 2,600 employees. The Choisy-le-Roi (Val-de-Marne) factory employs 263 people in the repair of engines and gearboxes used as re-use parts. That of Dieppe (Seine-Maritime) has 386 employees and assembles the Alpine A110 sports model.

More here ( use google translate)

https://www.letelegramme.fr/france/renault-envisagerait-la-fermeture-de-quatre-sites-dont-la-fonderie-de-bretagne-19-05-2020-12554506.php

Renault - Renault to close 4 factories in France. - Ethan Edwards

Well at least they aren't blaming Boris, Brexit or les Rosbifs.

Renault - Renault to close 4 factories in France. - Trilogy.

A company with too many disastrous cars in this century.

I wouldn't want to own one, but living in France I see they are everywhere, and surprisingly the roadsides are not littered with broken down Renault's, you would expect that they would be but no! There are small Renault branded tin-shed garage workshops all over the place, even in small villages.

But there is always an exception - Ooops!

https://www.carscoops.com/2020/02/oups-french-president-macrons-armored-renault-espace-broke-down-during-state-visit-to-poland/

Renault - Renault to close 4 factories in France. - Catfood

I think the French cars are fine provided that they are driven and maintained by French on the French soil. It must be something to with the French attitude, logic and weather....

Renault - Renault to close 4 factories in France. - pd

There is nothing wrong with Renault. Sure they had a few dodgy models 20 years ago but even they matured into decent enough cars in the end.

They are no less, and no more, reliable than anything else in my experience. They're pretty savvy at judging market trends as well and always seem to have the right model magically appear at the right time.

Renault - Renault to close 4 factories in France. - Zippy123

There is nothing wrong with Renault. Sure they had a few dodgy models 20 years ago but even they matured into decent enough cars in the end.

They are no less, and no more, reliable than anything else in my experience. They're pretty savvy at judging market trends as well and always seem to have the right model magically appear at the right time.

I tend to agree.

My dad got a Megan second hand and he has had it for 10 years now and it has not missed a beat whilst mum's low mileage Toyota IQ is always needing to be jump started because of un-diagnosed battery drain.

What's more, Renault are now one of the few manufacturers offering a 5 year warranty - so they are standing behind their product.

Renault - Renault to close 4 factories in France. - Andrew-T

I think the French cars are fine provided that they are driven and maintained by French on the French soil. It must be something to with the French attitude, logic and weather....

Don't agree. I have owned almost exclusively French cars for over 30 years. One was even a Renault. None has ever failed. Of course some parts are subject to wear and tear after 10 or 15 years, and they may not stand up well to seriously skimped maintenance. Otherwise no better or worse than other nationalities.

Renault - Renault to close 4 factories in France. - Avant

French cars were fine before about 2000 (I had seven big family Renaults in a row before 2000, and SWMBO had three Peugeots, all reliable), apart from poor rust resistance. After that they added lots of electronic bells and whistles to the higher-spec models, which the British tend to buy more than the French do.

Renault - Renault to close 4 factories in France. - Catfood

Oh don't get me wrong but I did own 2 Reaults and currently own C4 Picasso. They haven't let me down....At the end of the day, any car is generally fine as long as it's maitained properly.....

Renault - Renault to close 4 factories in France. - wrangler_rover
One thing about the French is that they support their own manufacturing industry, case in point Macron refusing to travel in a non French vehicle.
In my nearest city, Lincoln, the mayoral car was a Mercedes, I think it still is as
I haven't seen it for several months.
Even our cabinet travel in Jaguars.
Renault - Renault to close 4 factories in France. - Sofa Spud
One thing about the French is that they support their own manufacturing industry, case in point Macron refusing to travel in a non French vehicle. In my nearest city, Lincoln, the mayoral car was a Mercedes, I think it still is as I haven't seen it for several months. Even our cabinet travel in Jaguars.

There aren't any British owned car makers left. Even Morgan is now Italian owned. I suppose the mayor of Lincoln could opt for a classic Rolls-Royce Silver Cloud or an old Daimler Limousine.

Even Macron might have trouble finding a truly French car soon, as Renault Nissan is partly Japanese and the new Peugeot Fiat Chrysler set up is going to be a Dutch company!

Renault - Renault to close 4 factories in France. - Engineer Andy

I think this ties in with the articles from a few days ago about moves afoot to transfer production from parts of their outfits on the Continent to the Nissan plant in Sunderland.

Nice to see that, over here at least, the doom-mongerers saying that us leaving the EU would result in the closure of that plant. It appears that their highly efficient staff/local management have helped them stay competitive. Whether it stays open and thrives in the longer term very much depends on the quality of the designs of vehicles they come up with, and have not been impressed for a number of years now.

As a former very satisfied (pre-takeover) Micra owner, what has happened to their cars reliability-wise has always been a source of sadness to me, especially when it reflects badly on the Sunderland plant, which is not the fault in any way of the workforce, but those in the Renualt-Nissan (and now Mitsubishi) alliance design studio and upper management.

The Avantime, Vel Satis, Laguna coupe and Wind were all disasters. There won't be many companies wasting money developing such lousy sellers.

Renault - Renault to close 4 factories in France. - mcb100
2006 Grand Scenic been in the household for the past 9 years, 120,000+ miles on the clock. All the windows go up and down, the dashboard has never failed - both things that Renault experts are always saying fail regularly. I have had to put an new EPB on it about three years ago because the cables seized (you can’t buy them separately). It gets an oil change approximately once a year, and will go until it won’t go any further - which will probably be caused by clutch or DMF as they’re rattling away as they have been for the past couple of years. No complaints about Renault reliability from me.

A friend changed from a run of Renaults to a Nissan. He knows underneath it's a Renault, but got fed up with the company's customer service.

There are some excellent deals on the Kadjar at the moment. One trim, sort of equivalent to a Fiesta Titanium Is actually cheaper than the discounted Fiesta at just over £15k!

Plus it has a 5 year warranty!

Shame about the Alpine, nice car, just too niche and pricey..

Edited by Zippy123 on 21/05/2020 at 15:33

Renault - Renault to close 4 factories in France. - mcb100
A Renault global press conference has produced some information about the future of the Alliance.
There had been talk of Nissan becoming a bit player in Europe to concentrate on the US, but the latest seems to be that Renault and Nissan’s ranges will be synched more closely, with Renault to continue as the senior partner, and concentrate on smaller cars, and Nissan to deliver the larger ones.
There’s also the possibility of Renault badged vevicles being produced in Sunderland.
Renault - Renault to close 4 factories in France. - RT
A Renault global press conference has produced some information about the future of the Alliance. There had been talk of Nissan becoming a bit player in Europe to concentrate on the US, but the latest seems to be that Renault and Nissan’s ranges will be synched more closely, with Renault to continue as the senior partner, and concentrate on smaller cars, and Nissan to deliver the larger ones. There’s also the possibility of Renault badged vevicles being produced in Sunderland.

It seems Renault and Nissan will not only share platforms but also the upper body hard points so that siblings can be built on the same production line - in other words Nissans will become re-skinned clones of Renaults.

Renault - Renault to close 4 factories in France. - Avant

They must be using some components in common already. Nissans like the Bluebird and the Almera, and Datsuns before them, used to be as reliable as any other Japanese car, even if not the most exciting to drive.

Nowadays they seem to be well down the order in reliability surveys, particularly the Qashqai.

Keeping up with the news in France as I try to do, President Macron has said that around 400,000 cars are sitting in factories and parking lots unsold.

That's a lot of cars!

As one commentor on a french blog site said:-

"Give me the 50% discount I buy one today"

https://keyt.com/lifestyle/money-and-business/2020/05/26/france-to-inject-almost-9-billion-into-ailing-auto-industry/

I'll just stick with what we are running for now thanks all the same!

Edited by focussed on 27/05/2020 at 23:52

Renault - Renault to close 4 factories in France. - Lrac

coincidentally I have just asked a question in the technical section about the timing chain on the 0.9 turbo Cleo engine.

Contrary to a lot of the afore mentioned posts this appears to be a well known weakness on these engines with one post complaining about a failure at 36,000 miles! I won't be rushing out to buy one.

I do own a couple of "French" cars a Peugeot 107 and a 108 both of which I would recommend as cheap reliable run arounds. I appreciate these cars are more Toyota than Peugeot.

Nissan used to be regarded as very reliable cars since teaming up with Renault this is no longer the case. I did previously own a very reliable Nissan but would not buy one now, didn't they have pick up trucks that were actually "snapping"?

More news from France concerning the planned closure of the local Renault foundry.

The closure is abandoned - no closure, no sell off.

No riots or violent demonstrations as sometimes happens in France.

https://www.letelegramme.fr/morbihan/caudan/nouvelle-journee-de-mobilisation-pour-la-fonderie-de-bretagne-29-05-2020-12558544.php

Renault - Renault to close 4 factories in France. - Middleman

Nissan used to be regarded as very reliable cars since teaming up with Renault this is no longer the case.

The best car (for driving) that I have owned was a Renault 5 GT Turbo. But...the steering rack had to be replaced after just 8,000 miles; the turbo seized after 9,000; an oil leak developed around the sump after just 2,500; the battery constantly went flat because the turbo cooler carried on for 15-20 minutes after switching off and the battery did not have sufficient capacity; the driver's seat anchor failed after about 5,000; the wiper motor had to be replaced after about eight months. I could go on, but if Renault improved Nissan's reliability figures I shudder to think what they must have been like before the union.

Edited by Middleman on 29/05/2020 at 12:33

Renault - Renault to close 4 factories in France. - alan1302

Nissan used to be regarded as very reliable cars since teaming up with Renault this is no longer the case.

I could go on, but if Renault improved Nissan's reliability figures I shudder to think what they must have been like before the union.

Think you have misunderstood - Nissan were known for reliability until they teamed up with Renault.

I could go on, but if Renault improved Nissan's reliability figures I shudder to think what they must have been like before the union.

Think you have misunderstood - Nissan were known for reliability until they teamed up with Renault.

Indeed - they were always around the upper-middle ranked area on reliability before the takeover/merger, and add to that them being cheaper to buy (by quite a bit) and service than the Hondas and Toyotas of this world (back then), they were excellent value for money, especially as were reasonably decent cars to drive as well in most cases.

Renault - Renault to close 4 factories in France. - gordonbennet

Datsuns/Nissans and Toyota were the easiest to maintain of all, normally so reliable all they ever needed was regular servicing and the usual friction materials, plus they were designed to be worked on after manufacture.

Never had much to do with Colt (Mitsubishi) cars or Subaru of the period, rare beasts back in the day, nor saw many Mazdas, again completely reliable cars.

People always called them rust buckets, but so was everything else living in salt heaven until Volvo came along with the 100 and 200 series.

Good news, assuming its true and not waffle diverting our attention, about Nissan confirming British manufacturing stays.

Edited by gordonbennet on 30/05/2020 at 13:02

Renault - Renault to close 4 factories in France. - dan86

Datsuns/Nissans and Toyota were the easiest to maintain of all, normally so reliable all they ever needed was regular servicing and the usual friction materials, plus they were designed to be worked on after manufacture.

Never had much to do with Colt (Mitsubishi) cars or Subaru of the period, rare beasts back in the day, nor saw many Mazdas, again completely reliable cars.

People always called them rust buckets, but so was everything else living in salt heaven until Volvo came along with the 100 and 200 series.

Good news, assuming its true and not waffle diverting our attention, about Nissan confirming British manufacturing stays.

I can concur with the easy to work on part of Japanese cars, my dad had a 2000 Toyota Avensis 1.8 vvti, it needed a new gearbox, it was so easy to work on and chang at the roadside unlike a mondeo or vectra of similar vintage, the engineers designed maintenance on to the building of the car.

I have lost count of the number of cars that I have driven, changing company cars every 2-3 years plus hire cars and owned family cars.

Two that stand out as being so very easy to just get in and drive easily and comfortably (gear range), steering lightness, visibility to park/ all round vision, instrument cluster readability etc. was my first car, a Datsun 120Y and my wife's car a Nissan Note.

Not the best cars, just very easy to get on with and predictable, followed closely by a Nissan Primera (the 2nd gen model before the space age face lift).

In comparison, the most fun car was an Audi 3.2 v6 convertible. Followed by a Golf GTI.

Having assured the employees and the CGT union last week that the subject foundry will not closed or be sold off, it has been announced by CEO of Renault, that it will be put up for sale.

https://www.letelegramme.fr/economie/le-patron-de-renault-envisage-la-vente-de-la-fonderie-de-bretagne-31-05-2020-12559576.php

There could be trouble ahead.

I predict a riot - several riots probably!

One thing I was amazed at was how similar and easy-to-use the controls were (especially on the steering column) when changing from my mid-90s Micra to my (current) mid 2000s Mazda3. Even the engine bay is laid out practically the same. Maybe it's a Japanese thing.

The Euroboxes were, in contrast, quite different with some very odd configurations from one to the next.

Renault - Renault to close 4 factories in France. - daveyK_UK
Difference in Japanese designed engine bays and configuration compared to European in the 90s was considerable.

Taking a 1999 Nissan Almera and comparing it to a 1999 Vauxhall Astra; the Nissan parts where assemble, logical and easy to work on. The Astra was a pig including an inaccessible water pump and thermostat.

Yet of the 2 the Astra was a far nicer drive!