What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
All makes - The new era of the car - Steveieb

Until the virus struck the environmentalist labelled driving as a sinful pleasure.

Now the PM has advised us to avoid public transport.

So could the virus rekindle the car industry ? And will your date be impressed by a driverless car while you sit back twiddling with the navigation system ?

Has there ever been a better time to drive than now ?

Fuel is cheaper than bottled water, the roads are empty and I’m enjoying the MOT holiday on my 17 year old Audi. Brilliant !

All makes - The new era of the car - daveyjp

All good, except for the 'all the roads are empty'. They aren't.

I have just been out. The M62 is getting back to feeling 'normal' for the time of day. I then found myself in very heavy traffic near Leeds to the point I turned round and found another way to my destination.

All makes - The new era of the car - Sulphur Man

The UK road network has done little but expand for 110 years. Ever heard of a road being removed? Me neither. Yet, pre-CV19, traffic speeds and congestion rates have never been higher. Pollutions levels illegal in many areas, eg. Farnham, Surrey near me, forcing local MP Jeremy Hunt to tell the Borough Council to get a plan in place to fix it.

CV19 has provided a respite to typical road congestion as shared workplaces have been forced to shut. The UK Governments big concern is that, whilst social distancing is still required, EVERYONE drives everywhere in their car. Leading to really serious gridlock and slowing economic recovery.

Cars have a unique quality in transporting occupants to very specific places, of the driver's choice. This quality is most useful over long distances, especially whilst public transport prices remain so high (and not condusive to social distancing).

However....60% of car journeys are under 5 miles. 40% under 2. That's unsustainable, COVID-19 or otherwise. Making it easier, and safer for people to cycle and walk in shared, spaces separate from roads for short journeys is a really positive thing to do right now, and Id argue, permanently. The front page of The Times today is Johnson's 'war on obesity'. He's got the moral high ground because he says his weight excess led to his close call with COVID-19. He wants active travel to be enabled, and it looks like he's ready to pay for it. Good move I say.

Edited by Sulphur Man on 15/05/2020 at 13:03

All makes - The new era of the car - Engineer Andy

As regards people using cars for short trips - I agree.

I see so many people in my area 'pop' to the shops (before the pandemic) almost daily, sometimes more than once, when they could walk there (most appear to be getting just a handful of items) in about 10-15 minutes.

I also see people make separate trips to the petrol station (often at the supermarket) rather than before their mainly weekly shop or on the way/way home from work.

Ironically, the pandemic and the much lower capacity of supermarkets to accommodate shoppers means that many people are learning or re-learning the benefits of making weekly meal plans, shopping lists and making best use of their time by shopping as infrequently as possible.

This includes making use of the journey home from work, or buying shopping for neighbours (including in rotas to spread the burden), relatives and/or housemates in one go to save on the number of trips, which also has the added benefit of saving fuel and wear and tear on their vehicles (especially as most trips to the supermarket are short, which isn't good for vehicles).

People also being at home a lot means that more are making meals from scratch from fresh ingredients, often finding that it's far healthier and in many cases cheaper than ready meals, especially when the whole household shares that meal.

Combined with people taking more exercise, this will, if publicly and regularly encouraged by the government should also improve the nation's health, especially as regards to obesity and related diseases, both of which are (especially in the over 70s) major contributory factors in the chance of surviving/recovering well for COVID-19 and other serious aliments.

Many other factors appear to have contributed to the spread of the virus, such as the prevalence of people working further and further away from their homes and having to commute on packed public transport for extended periods (well over an hour every day each way).

I'm not necessary encouraging working from home (the work and social benefits of being with your colleagues and away from the distractions of home are significant), but I think we need to start the conversation about the causes of the issue and what we can do to encourage people to (be able to) live much closer to their workplace, including not to further encourage centralisation of jobs in and close by certain large metropolitan areas like London, further exaccerbating the problem.

Reducing the home - work distance will reduce the effective work day, increasing productivity and health, reducing stress, pollution and allowing everyone to have more money in their pockets that they'd normally spend on travel to work. The same would go for walking/cycling to work (or car sharing) at a more local level.

This part obviously is a far more long-term project.

All makes - The new era of the car - Terry W

At low levels of full capacity (say up to 20%) perceptions are that traffic levels are much reduced and congestion non-existent.

Between 20% and 80% of traffic volumes there will be a perception of heavier traffic as volumes increase, but little actual delay (accidents aside)

Above 80%, speed falls and real congestion starts. This is usually at school run and rush hour periods - road development has a typically lagged the need for upgrade so excess capacity at peak periods is rare.

In the future, despite immediate incentives for car use (social distancing etc) I would question whether "normal" traffic levels will return:

• work from home likely to be an increasing feature of work in the future. Possibly not 5 days a week, but certainly 2-4
  • online shopping will become habitual now many have tried it
  • some schooling, particularly for older (13+?), possibly by video and at home
  • towns and cities may introduce more emissions free zones having experienced the benefits of reduced traffic levels.

Many two car families may go down to one. Commuting is a waste of 1-3 hours a day. Working more locally and walking or cycling will become more attractive.

All makes - The new era of the car - John F

Perhaps the title should be - The new era of the bus. In other countries, especially in car-centric USA, that's how children get to school and people get to central New York. The West 42nd street bus terminal is an automotive wonder of the world. In progressive cities, unobstructed well used trams glide the streets alongside cars and cyclists. In backwards London, half empty buses crawl at little more than walking pace through streets clogged with cars mostly containing one person. If you exit a UK city train terminal, the odds are the first thing you see will be a traffic jam. In most European towns, outside the train station there is an easy to use bus station to complete your journey. In so many English towns and cities, this just isn't possible. The (dis)UK uncoordinated mismanaged multi-ownership fragmented transport system is, frankly, a disgrace to behold and a nightmare to use.

All makes - The new era of the car - Andrew-T

John, it's all very well comparing London unfavourably with other continental cities, but you have to allow for the major disadvantage of London's narrow streets. By comparison Paris (for example) has inherited a network of boulevards which can take several times as much traffic. Many other cities are similar. If Londoners are prepared to have much of the heritage parts bulldozed to help traffic the problem might lessen.

And the Tube was designed in the late Victorian era, with plenty of room for expansion. Over a century later all that room has been used up. No way out IMHO.

All makes - The new era of the car - Trilogy.

One of the advantages of travel in the last few weeks has been a lack of tailgaters. Such a joy to amble through 30 limits without another vehicle stuck to my rear bumper. Journeys on the A14 with the traffic at a sensible speed. The past few weeks have been a time to treasure.

All makes - The new era of the car - Terry W

It is not the new era of the car we should concern ourselves with, but the new era of personal transportation.

Trains, buses, trams and cars can all trace their roots back more than 100 years - their function has changed relatively little in that time. Technologically they have evolved through small steps rather than major transformatation.

An Edwardian gent from (say) 1910 would immediately identify the components of the system. He may be slightly surprised at the speed (outside cities) and the popularity of cars vs (say) trams, but would understand precisely how it worked.

Given current technologies the future could hold:

• driverless EV modules summoned by smartphone app
  • integrated road, rail, bus - not three separate systems
  • single charging protocols - not separate apps or cash
  • priority for EV, bikes, scooters etc
  • delivery to shops and businesses at night - very limited ICE daytime in cities

All makes - The new era of the car - Andrew-T

All those devices are possible, but I doubt that any of them will solve the fundamental problem of too many people fighting over too little travelling space. That is why many people learning how to live with working from home may make the most difference.

All makes - The new era of the car - Sofa Spud

It is not the new era of the car we should concern ourselves with, but the new era of personal transportation.

Trains, buses, trams and cars can all trace their roots back more than 100 years - their function has changed relatively little in that time. Technologically they have evolved through small steps rather than major transformatation.

An Edwardian gent from (say) 1910 would immediately identify the components of the system. He may be slightly surprised at the speed (outside cities) and the popularity of cars vs (say) trams, but would understand precisely how it worked.

Given current technologies the future could hold:

• driverless EV modules summoned by smartphone app
  • integrated road, rail, bus - not three separate systems
  • single charging protocols - not separate apps or cash
  • priority for EV, bikes, scooters etc
  • delivery to shops and businesses at night - very limited ICE daytime in cities

I think it will be a long time before we see driverless EV modules other than at airports, or campuses or as limited experiments. More cities will build new tram systems, once we're past the pandemic and the economic crisis. The move to electric cars and renewable electricity generation will gather pace. Delivery to shops and businesses will increasingly be by electric vehicles too.