What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Has anyone used this .. - type of braing. - HGV ~ P Valentine

My recently purchased Peugeot 3008 comes with an electric parking brake as standard. This is the first car I have owned with this type of brake, and I am struggling to master it. With the car on a level surface there is no problem, but pulling away from stationary on an upward slope is causing me problems. With previous cars the handbrake could be used to hold the vehicle until the clutch and accelerator were properly balanced to ensure a smooth pull away, but the electric brake is either full on or full off and can't be used to prevent the car from running backwards while balancing clutch and accelerator as I am used to doing. Can you advise a method of getting this car to pull forwards smoothly when on an upwards slope?

Asked on 27 June 2019 by honjohn

Answered by Andrew Brady

Your 3008 will have hill start assist so there's no need to use the handbrake. When you come to a stop on a hill, hold the car still with your foot on the brake. When it's time to move off, the hill start assist will keep the car held still for a couple of seconds while you move your foot from the brake to accelerator and release the clutch. If you're stopped for an extended period and don't want to keep your foot on the brake, apply the handbrake. When it's time to move off, put your foot on the brake, release the handbrake and then move your foot from the brake to the accelerator. The hill start assist will prevent the car moving backwards while you do this.

Has anyone used this .. - type of braing. - HGV ~ P Valentine

Typo should read this type of braking ??

Has anyone used this .. - type of braing. - Terry W

I have a 308 auto.

If on a hill using the footbrake it will prevent roll-back for a few seconds whilst foot is moved from footbrake to accelerator.

It will also automatically release the parking brake when power is applied.

It automatically applies the handbrake when the engine is stopped.

Day to day the handbrake has become a non-event - you could drive for months without even touching it.

Functionally it makes traditional handbrakes seem out of the ark - although I accept there are a variety of views related to complexity.

Has anyone used this .. - type of braing. - Avant

"Day to day the handbrake has become a non-event - you could drive for months without even touching it."

Perhaps true if you always park on level ground. But on a slope you're relying on the automatic transmission 'Park' mechanism or on leaving a manual car in gear - so you need the parking brake (EPB).

Having thought I wouldn't, I have got used to EPBs. But if you're thinking of buying one so equipped, make sure it comes on and off automatically, as it does with VAG cars provided the A (Autohold) switch is left on. On my previous Volvo it came off automatically (with a bit of a jerk) but had to be engaged manually, with the switch located by some tortured Swedish genius down by the driver's right knee.

Incidentally, why did you start this thread, HGV Driver? Did you mean to ask a question after quoting the published Q & A?

Edited by Avant on 30/04/2020 at 15:16

Has anyone used this .. - type of braing. - concrete

My XC60 is auto and the EPB is still in the same place the original Swedish genius put it!! TBH it's not much of an issue. If I do park on a slope then it is fairly easy to engage and it does come off automatically and it is difficult to forget to disengage due to a big red warning light on the speedo. I have not had trouble with hill starts even when towing. It is all a matter of technique really and possibly some practice.

Cheers Concrete

Has anyone used this .. - type of braing. - thunderbird

The XC40 we had on 2 day test had an electric handbrake and for 2 days I never needed to do anything when I was at a junction, on a hill or parking. It was simply brilliant.

Going back to a manual lever was quite a shock which is strange when you consider we have been using a manual handbrake for almost 50 years and an auto handbrake for only 2 days.

Look forward to owning one in the future, just hope its either the Volvo or one that works as well.

My XC60 is auto and the EPB is still in the same place the original Swedish genius put it!!

Not sure what that means but in the XC40 the 2 buttons that controlled the handbrake were just behind the gear selector, exactly where a handbrake lever would be. Does not take a genius to place controls in a logical spot.

Has anyone used this .. - type of braing. - RichT54

My Toyota C-HR has hold-assist, an EPB and a CVT gearbox.

I have to enable the hold-assist system each time after starting the engine. When you brake with the foot pedal and come to a stop, the hold-assist locks the brakes on and you can take your foot off the pedal, with the gearbox still in Drive. As long as you were pressing the pedal hard enough when the hold-assist took over, it will hold the car on quite steep slopes. To start moving again, just press the accelerator and the hold-assist will automatically release, without letting the car roll back. When I am parking the car in a confined space, I prefer to turn the hold-assist off so that it is easier to use the creep of the gearbox, instead of having to keep touching the accelerator.

I have configured the EPB in the menu system so that it automatically comes on when you put the gearbox in Park. When you put the car back in Drive and press the accelerator, the EPB is automatically released. There is a manual switch for the EPB conveniently located on the centre console, but I almost never need to use it.

I was very anti EPBs when they were first introduced, but now I much prefer them, especially on an automatic.

Edited by RichT54 on 30/04/2020 at 17:16

Has anyone used this .. - type of braing. - barney100

My auto simply releases the electric handbrake when the car starts to move forward, absolutely no fuss.

Has anyone used this .. - type of braing. - mcb100
Are you trying to manually release the parking brake, or using it how it’s designed by just setting off and letting the EPB automatically release?
Has anyone used this .. - type of braing. - Avant

Yes, that's right: with the XC40 - and hopefully other new Volvos - thet've got the message and the EPB switch is on the centre console.

The tortured genius - more turnip than Swede - may have defected to Jaguar, where the E-Pace's EPB switch is in that benighted position by the driver's right knee.

Has anyone used this .. - type of braing. - SLO76

My old Toyota has one of these pointless gadgets but it releases in a nice smooth and gradual fashion allowing for zero drama on hills. I still find it utterly pointless though.

The only issue I’ve ever had with any car on hill starts was with manual Mercs in the 80’s and 90’s as they had a daft foot operated parking brake which released by means of a handle in the dash which meant it was either on or off and resulted in much clutch burning and slipping backwards. It was fine in an auto though.

Has anyone used this .. - type of braing. - John F

My Audi A8 has one, and I use it very rarely to save wear on its motors. The major disadvantage is faffing around with it when you have to change the rear pads, which fortunately is not very often. At 70,000 miles mine (originals) still have 3-4mm left, so should last a good few thousand miles more.

Has anyone used this .. - type of braing. - Miniman777

When EPBs came out, I was much against them, complex and unnecessary was my thoughts then.

Since, we've a family X3 (G01 auto) with an EPB and I've a company Qashqai with one too. Both have the 'auto hold' feature which applies the brake on hills, at lights in traffic etc. I adapted to EPBs very quickly and now, when driving the wife's Cooper S I often forget it's a conventional handbrake and try to drive off with the brake on!

Appreciate some cars do not have the auto hold on all EPBs, so can understand the frustration, but with it, you just drive off. I really like it now. The Qashqai (manual) also applies the parking brake automatically when you switch off which I also like, so car cant roll away.

Has anyone used this .. - type of braing. - gordonbennet

I used loads of them in my previous work, nothing to write home about but useful for people who find controlling the vehicle difficult, won't be having one myself as i regard them as pointless.

Not saying anyone else should not have one, whether you need it as such or now prefer them despite previous doubt, just that i personally won't be buying a car with one, goes in the same no ta category as automated manual/twin clutch gearboxes, an expensive when it fails complication i neither need or want, thankfully there's enough used vehicles out there without such tat to see my motoring days out.