What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Toyota Avalon TRD 2020 - what has once been seen cannot be unseen - gordonbennet

If you feel up to it check out images of the above car, i thought Toyota's recent Lexus offerings were dire looks wise, particularly with nose treatment, but the Avalon takes things to a whole new level way beyond ugly.

Toyota Avalon TRD 2020 - what has once been seen cannot be unseen - SLO76

It’s a shame they haven’t built a Camry estate, it’s something I’d have an eye on for the future once the market has forced the price down to reality. Would make a good addition or replacement for my Avensis estate but I know swmbo wants an SUV once she has pennies to contribute.

Toyota Avalon TRD 2020 - what has once been seen cannot be unseen - Big John

Ooh that's fugly.

I also really don't get the latest Prius re looks either.

Toyota Avalon TRD 2020 - what has once been seen cannot be unseen - Falkirk Bairn

Lot of car for £28-£33K - but then again cars in US are always a lot cheaper than UK prices fo really any car make & model.

But a 3 ltr V6 would not sell in the UK in any great volumes.

Toyota Avalon TRD 2020 - what has once been seen cannot be unseen - Random

Quite a looker if I shut my eyes.

Toyota Avalon TRD 2020 - what has once been seen cannot be unseen - bathtub tom

Looks like someone's stuck a hockey stick in its mouth, sideways!

Toyota Avalon TRD 2020 - what has once been seen cannot be unseen - nellyjak

Yes...can only be described as ugly...think someone had a steriod overdose when designing the front end...I guess though if you had a head-on crash then you'd hardly notice the difference.?..or maybe sense an improvement in looks.??

Toyota Avalon TRD 2020 - what has once been seen cannot be unseen - groaver

Toyota have started to copy their sister Brand's 'Look at me!' philosophy.

It's a bit of a shame as underneath that shocking sheet metal and plastic will be a well engineered car.

I think the new Corolla is their best recent effort and will take a look when I wish to change car.

Toyota Avalon TRD 2020 - what has once been seen cannot be unseen - gordonbennet

Yes, no doubt a reliable competent car is behind that horror mask, the rest of the design is quite decent why they passed that front end as fit for sale is a mystery.

Have you seen the grilles that BMW are sticking on their cars these days?

Apparently the Chinese like big grilles. It's prestigious.

Yes those new BMW grilles are grim, they'll have to up their game sharpish to outcrass Toyota's latest effort mind.

Even if free and with all running cost paid, just no.

Toyota Avalon TRD 2020 - what has once been seen cannot be unseen - Bolt

Yes those new BMW grilles are grim, they'll have to up their game sharpish to outcrass Toyota's latest effort mind.

Even if free and with all running cost paid, just no.

Im not so sure they are designed for looks, more like practical in giving air cooling around power unit, also cheaper with less weight for economy, no one has to buy one if they dont like it.

but bet a lot will as its different, similar to Honda looks as some class them as ugly but they were designed for airflow not looks

Edited by bolt on 19/04/2020 at 14:36

Im not so sure they are designed for looks, more like practical in giving air cooling around power unit, also cheaper with less weight for economy, no one has to buy one if they dont like it.

but bet a lot will as its different, similar to Honda looks as some class them as ugly but they were designed for airflow not looks

You may be correct but how to other car makers cool their power units without the need for such ugly adornments?

Toyota Avalon TRD 2020 - what has once been seen cannot be unseen - Bolt

You may be correct but how to other car makers cool their power units without the need for such ugly adornments?

Its not just about cooling though is it, some cars are developed that way so the air travels through the car to reduce drag and give better fuel consumption, the less drag the better, its also less plastic to reduce weight without losing strength in the panels

IMO it looks good and suspect we may see more like it in the future, its about time we had a change of shape/look instead of the same old drab looking cars like BMW Audi and Mercs we have seen in the past

IMO it looks good and suspect we may see more like it in the future, its about time we had a change of shape/look instead of the same old drab looking cars like BMW Audi and Mercs we have seen in the past

To me it just looks as though they are trying too hard to be different.

If it sells, so be it.

Toyota Avalon TRD 2020 - what has once been seen cannot be unseen - John F

Have you seen the grilles that BMW are sticking on their cars these days?

Apparently the Chinese like big grilles. It's prestigious.

Soon after Audi pioneered what was thought to be the absurdly large vertical grill which is now commonplace on all their models they sold loads of A6L cars in China. Audi now sell probably twice as many cars in China than JLR.

Toyota Avalon TRD 2020 - what has once been seen cannot be unseen - SLO76
Always been a bit of pet hate of mine with Toyota. They’ve built some great cars over the years especially with regards to reliability and durability but they consistently ignore the importance of style with their offerings at best inoffensive and at worst pig ugly (Prius) yet European firms have shown that style sells.

Fiat’s 500 is a good enough wee car but it’s mechanically dated and tends to suffer badly once you pass 70,000 miles where a Yaris is just run in. Imagine if you combined the two a stylish car with Japanese reliability. Peugeot have flogged millions of poor quality cars in recent years again because of looks, the 206 was never a very good car neither was the 207 both were very dated mechanically but sold because they looked quite good ditto the Fiat Grand Punto. Toyota should grab a few European designers.

Mazda have in recent years taken this onboard with some genuinely nice looking models particularly the latest versions and I’ve seen the possible replacement for the 6 which is a lovely looking thing. Toyota would sell far more cars in the UK if they added a little style. The new Corolla is a step in the right direction.
Toyota Avalon TRD 2020 - what has once been seen cannot be unseen - Engineer Andy

Is it me, or have all the good Japanese car stylists been nabbed by Mazda? The latest Corolla is fine, looks-wise, as is the Camry, but neither are 'wow' cars looks-wise.

Toyota Avalon TRD 2020 - what has once been seen cannot be unseen - Avant

Toyota may be hedging their bets. The CH-R is more of an attempt at 'wow', but boring types like me don't like it because we can't see much out of the back of it.

Toyota may be hedging their bets. The CH-R is more of an attempt at 'wow', but boring types like me don't like it because we can't see much out of the back of it.

Hardly boring Avant, but like the huge mistake Honda made when they decided to dump their loyal regular mature customers in order to tempt a never loyal yoof, Toyota might find out those ''boring'' customers with some money in the bank, the ones they took for granted, might be the only ones able to buy new cars when the current crisis is over and the cost is counted.

Engineer Andy, i've been wondering for years if competitors have infiltrated design saboteurs into some studios, Lexus LS460 a prime example, quietly handsome and competent, why on earth did they stick that awful wideboy grill on the front and destroy the looks completely, it's getting worse every generation.

Edited by gordonbennet on 20/04/2020 at 14:47

I sort of get what Toyota is trying to do.

They're trying to put a Japanese design style into their cars. They want to stand out and their vehicles to be easily identifiable as theirs.

For me it doesn't work

That origami look begins to unfold when it hits European shores.

6/10 for trying though.