What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Honda CR-V - Changing Car.....Future - chesterfieldhouse

Hello, just a hypothetical (at this time) post really but..........if a was looking for a reasonably priced second hand SUV it would more than likely be the Honda Cr-V. At present l have a Toyota RAV 4 2005 D-4D in cracking condition with just over 80K on the clock, full service history etc & bought from the original owner who l know locally. Being a 55 plate there's no DPF to consider & overall it meets our requirements to accommodate a couple of dogs in the back & was too good an opportunity to miss a couple of years back. However, if l were to buy now, with a budget of around 8K, it would be the Honda, as in general l just prefer the shape to the comparable Toyota RAV 4.

The question for debate & your opinion is petrol or diesel with this car? On the face of it our mileage does not warrant a diesel with annual miles around 7-8K, made up of longer journey's in the spring/summer to the coast, but shorter journey's in the autumn/winter. l also like the drive & torque that a diesel (1.6 DTEC) gives & when you look at the tax (£200) & economy difference (20 mpg) is it worth the risk over the petrol? (2.0 VTEC)

Honda CR-V - Changing Car.....Future - nellyjak

Hello, just a hypothetical (at this time) post really but..........if a was looking for a reasonably priced second hand SUV it would more than likely be the Honda Cr-V. At present l have a Toyota RAV 4 2005 D-4D in cracking condition with just over 80K on the clock, full service history etc & bought from the original owner who l know locally. Being a 55 plate there's no DPF to consider & overall it meets our requirements to accommodate a couple of dogs in the back & was too good an opportunity to miss a couple of years back. However, if l were to buy now, with a budget of around 8K, it would be the Honda, as in general l just prefer the shape to the comparable Toyota RAV 4.

The question for debate & your opinion is petrol or diesel with this car? On the face of it our mileage does not warrant a diesel with annual miles around 7-8K, made up of longer journey's in the spring/summer to the coast, but shorter journey's in the autumn/winter. l also like the drive & torque that a diesel (1.6 DTEC) gives & when you look at the tax (£200) & economy difference (20 mpg) is it worth the risk over the petrol? (2.0 VTEC)

Perfectly reasonable choice I'm sure...but for me...I would stay with a Rav4 because I'm simply a Toyota fan...and petrol would be my choice without question in your case.

Honda CR-V - Changing Car.....Future - SLO76

The petrol CRV is greedy and lacks torque so feels quite flat on the road especially considering you currently drive a turbo diesel. The CRV is best in Mk IV and with a diesel motor.

The 1.6 DTEC in 2wd 120PS form makes for an excellent big family estate. It has loads of room, rides well, is solidly built and great on fuel for such a large car, mine averaged 56mpg. But I’d push the budget up a bit closer to £10k to get a good one with a full Honda history. The biggest reliability issue is clutch judder which is very common and although hardly a disaster it is very annoying. Test drive it from cold to see if it does it and be sure to have a feel under the bonnet beforehand to see if they’ve warmed it up before you get a drive.

The best models are diesel autos in my opinion which suit the relaxed nature of the car and avoid the weak clutch issues. The petrol is utterly reliable but isn’t really up to the job of hauling a heavy SUV around. That all said, I’d personally keep the RAV4 if it’s in good order and running well.

Honda CR-V - Changing Car.....Future - gordonbennet

Don't overpay for the Honda, good car though they are the aircon compressor can fail and it's an expensive fix, be nice to see a receipt for new compressor in the service history.

I too would keep the Rav4, keep it serviced well and wait and see what happens to the car (and employment) market in the recession we are entering.

Honda CR-V - Changing Car.....Future - madf

Friend o mine has a Honda CR-V with the 1.6 diesel.

She has owned it 3?4? years and does approx 8k miles a year. Mainly urban

Very quiet, excellent fuel consumption and - despite the low miles- no DPF issues. (She does not drive hard)

Thank you all kindly for your opinions & contributions.

When l said in the o/p this was a hypothetical questions (at this time) l was thinking both in terms of the obvious COVID related situation we all find ourselves in &, all said & done, my head says (as others have stated) l should keep the RAV 4 for a while. Funnily enough, as SLO mentioned with the CR-V, the one thing that's a little annoying with the RAV is a little clutch judder from cold; apart from that totally reliable.

l like the idea of an auto. Two of my daughters & son all have autos & it does make for a more relaxed drive & suites certain vehicles more than others. However, the price & availability for a CR-V starts to creep up toward the 11K mark & l'm not sure, for lots of reasons, l'm willing to pay that much.

Perhaps, if a can persuade my wife who likes the elevated position an SUV brings, to consider an estate (dogs) bbd suggestion of the VAG 1.4 TSi engine may come into play. Having had Seat's in the past, l like the dimensions & style of the Leon & with a 1.4TSi engine compared to the similarly powered SUV Ateca, in same spec' is several thousand pounds less.

Honda CR-V - Changing Car.....Future - Avant

Include a Skoda Octavia estate in your shortlist. Available with the 1.4 TSI engine and a bit roomier than the Leon - which might be useful depending on the size of your dogs.

Include a Skoda Octavia estate in your shortlist. Available with the 1.4 TSI engine and a bit roomier than the Leon - which might be useful depending on the size of your dogs.

Yes good point, over 600 ltrs of boot space.

Honda CR-V - Changing Car.....Future - expat

If you are looking at an auto you should bear in mind that DSG autos have a poor reliability record and that rules out all VAG cars. Torque convertor autos are best but the CVT ones seem to be OK also as long as they get oil changes at the recommended intervals.

Honda CR-V - Changing Car.....Future - madf

If you are looking at an auto you should bear in mind that DSG autos have a poor reliability record and that rules out all VAG cars. Torque convertor autos are best but the CVT ones seem to be OK also as long as they get oil changes at the recommended intervals.

Err

Nissan CVT autos have a poor reputation and are best avoided.

Thanks, l was only considering an auto CR-V & wouldn't risk the DSG VAG box.