What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Honda to exit Australia? - Random

www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKekHN-GdNU

Edited by Avant on 20/03/2020 at 23:01

Honda to exit Australia? - Engineer Andy

I'm awaiting to read all the diatribes from those on the Left/EU lovers saying this is because of Brexit, rather than as JC says, because they have a comparatively small, not-as-reliable, stale line-up of vehicles and year-on-year declines in sales, and significant one since the late 90s/early 2000s.

They are considering leaving Down Under for exactly the same reason they are closing the Swindin plant.

Honda to exit Australia? - Falkirk Bairn

When I bought my first Honda in 1995 the showroom contained

Saloons

Hatchbacks

Coupe

Estates

7 seater MPV

Sports coupe

It was August but the salesman said it was like Xmas

The showroom was busy and the new cars were walking out the door.

Today

Jazz sells but nothing like the volumes if it were properly specified - asthmatic engine

Civic sells as a hatchback, the saloon was a failure & NO estate

HRV poor launch, poor engines in base cars & poor Mexican manufacture for 2 years

CRV sells but it is too expensive against the Hyundais, Kias, Kuga,

no estates, no MPV, no sports cars (NSX is a halo car but few sales)

Yeah, multitude of reasons Honda decided to abandon UK and elsewhere in Europe. Brexit was a minor contribution in a whole stack of dominos waiting to fall. Civic's and Jazz ugly as sin. CR-Vs are getting too big. Hip Replacement Vehicle off the pace. No innovation any more. Even the new small electric is a let down.

Edited by Random on 21/03/2020 at 15:53

Honda to exit Australia? - Andrew-T

No innovation any more.

It may sound crusty and fuddy-duddy, but I think most 'innovation' in cars for about 10 years has been in ever cruder styling and more expensive and rather useless gizmos inside. Once wind-tunnel testing had shown the optimal shape there weren't many new ways forward. New slots in the spectrum had to be retro, which has happened a bit. Maybe we need some more back-to-basics designs - we've tried most of the silly lamp shapes now.

No innovation any more.

It may sound crusty and fuddy-duddy, but I think most 'innovation' in cars for about 10 years has been in ever cruder styling and more expensive and rather useless gizmos inside. Once wind-tunnel testing had shown the optimal shape there weren't many new ways forward. New slots in the spectrum had to be retro, which has happened a bit. Maybe we need some more back-to-basics designs - we've tried most of the silly lamp shapes now.

Probably why so many people are hanging onto their mid 2000s cars, me included.

Honda to exit Australia? - Sulphur Man

No Innovation? Really?

They've launched the latest CR-V with a hybrid drivetrain that European rivals, still wedded to diesel and facing massive diesel ROI write-offs as the market tanks, would gladly have on their production lines...

The new Jazz carries the CR-V drivetrain, in scaled down form, and nothing but, whilst retaining the Jazz's famed practicality.

As many on this forum will support, when Honda make diesels they made class-leading ones. The 1.6 i-DTEC being the best example, and a great used buy.

They're smart enough to make an EV focussed on the 60% of car journeys that are under 5 miles, and not get hung up on the lopsided range debate.

Oh, and the Civic Type R is the best hot hatch of this generation, bar none. Yes, it's a visual challenge, but they know that, because that's what a confident engineering company does.

No Innovation? Really?

They've launched the latest CR-V with a hybrid drivetrain that European rivals, still wedded to diesel and facing massive diesel ROI write-offs as the market tanks, would gladly have on their production lines...

The new Jazz carries the CR-V drivetrain, in scaled down form, and nothing but, whilst retaining the Jazz's famed practicality.

As many on this forum will support, when Honda make diesels they made class-leading ones. The 1.6 i-DTEC being the best example, and a great used buy.

They're smart enough to make an EV focussed on the 60% of car journeys that are under 5 miles, and not get hung up on the lopsided range debate.

Oh, and the Civic Type R is the best hot hatch of this generation, bar none. Yes, it's a visual challenge, but they know that, because that's what a confident engineering company does.

The Jazz has apparently gone backwards in terms of its reliability (latest version);

The Civic is a huge car for a C-Sector vehicle. The Accord is no longer sold in the UK and isn't that much bigger than the Civic anyway (pointless).

The Civic 1.5T has had a significant reliability issue regrading oil diluation (similar to the diesels in other makes);

The Civic Type R, whilst great to drive on a track, is no longer either a good looking car or an affordable hot hatch. 10x as many were sold in the mid 2000s as now because they only cost £2k - £3k more than standard versions. They were more than quick enough for most people.

Whilst the newer cars have improved the visuals of the dashboards, this has been compensated by them stupidly using touchscreens instead of dials and proper buttons for the ICE volume and ventilation/AC controls, which is potentially dangerous.

Other cars have moved on with the performance, handling and looks, not sure if Honda have.

The diesel line up is good, but now that's going out of favour due to changes in government policy.

Let's hope they can turn the corner, as I've always had a soft spot for them up until recently. They need to get their act together because wole generations of car buyers are not considering them any more, not just on looks, but because there are better cars dynamically out there, and Hyundai/KIA are catching up rapidly in terms of reliability/longevity and are well ahead on the value side.

Honda to exit Australia? - focussed

It's all about volume - there is a dealer group in the USA that sells more Honda vehicles annually than Swindon produce in a year.

Almost all Honda's sold in the USA are made in the USA

2019 sales Honda USA 1,450,785 market share 8.43%

https://carsalesbase.com/honda/

Honda to exit Australia? - Ethan Edwards

If they aren't selling in Oz and the UK just where is their target market? Some serious mismanagement at the top. Suzuki are doing fine. Sales up 4.1pct in 2018 and they dont have an Estate car or a Sports car.

Edited by Ethan Edwards on 21/03/2020 at 20:47

If they aren't selling in Oz and the UK just where is their target market? Some serious mismanagement at the top. Suzuki are doing fine. Sales up 4.1pct in 2018 and they dont have an Estate car or a Sports car.

Development costs to come up with the models and model updates that tempt UK and european buyers to put their hands in their pockets have obviously been calculated as non recoverable given the size of the market. There's no profit to be made.

Honda used to be run by engineers - it's now run by beancounters.

And now they have a poor line up of models that dont sell much. Wonder if there's s connection?

Honda to exit Australia? - Zippy123

I think dealer attitude has something to do with it as well.

I remember well when my dad went to buy a new small Honda in the mid 90's and wanted a better deal he was told, snootily, to "come back when you can afford one".

He went to the local Toyota dealer who did a stonking deal on a Corolla Fastback which was superbly specified and didn't miss a beat. The next three cars were Toyotas too. So that's 4 cars they missed out on.

Honda to exit Australia? - edlithgow

I remember well when my dad went to buy a new small Honda in the mid 90's and wanted a better deal he was told, snootily, to "come back when you can afford one".

He went to the local Toyota dealer who did a stonking deal on a Corolla Fastback which was superbly specified and didn't miss a beat. The next three cars were Toyotas too. So that's 4 cars they missed out on.

That wouldn't be Honda Chiswick would it?

MUCH snooty sn*****ing (word that means snide giggling, that Mary is apparently confusing with a racist epithet) about my Honda TN550, once I;d finally convinced them Honda had indeed made a 550cc vehicle, and , no, it wasn;t a motorbike.

Edited by edlithgow on 21/03/2020 at 23:39

And now they have a poor line up of models that dont sell much. Wonder if there's s connection?

Yes Hmmm Well Err - That could be the unpalatable connection I was trying to make!

Honda to exit Australia? - Geoff Dude
Maybe there Sales practice is all wrong. Perhaps they should consider pop up showrooms on Bondi Beach. There seems to be people there rain or shine, night and day, pandemic no pandemic?
Honda to exit Australia? - catsdad
As a UK Honda fan I agree with all the comments about the current range. However thats not a global view. They are still the 7th biggest car manufacturer in the world with sales of about 5 million units, just behind Ford.

Their market share is also holding up pretty well with 2019 being higher than 2018, albeit at a slightly lower volume.

So if we and the Aussies don't like them as we once did, there are plenty of others who do.

Honda to exit Australia? - thunderbird

That is not a recent attitude from Honda dealers. Back in 1986 both me and dad decided to have a new motor at the same time. He had a Honda already and I liked the Prelude and dad fancied an Accord so off we went expecting to get a great deal since we were both buying cars. We had quite a shock, dealer had no interest in discussing a deal with us, full price on both with a derisory PX even on dads Honda.

Dad bought a Rover (bad idea) and I bought a Golf (great idea). The Golf was so good dad had one as his next car.

Honda to exit Australia? - expat

The news is out now. Massive cull of Australian Honda dealers, move to an agency system with franchised dealers, less profitable models to be dropped such as the Jazz and low end variants. Basically they seem to be going for less sales volume but higher profit on each sale. Ford Australia has done the same and Mazda have jacked up their prices.

www.goauto.com.au/news/honda/honda-culls-dealers-m...l

Times are tough. Sales are down so they respond by increasing prices. I can't see the logic myself but what would I know about marketing.

Surely Honda would have been wise to have produced a ute/pick-up? That's a sector they're missing out on.

Surely Honda would have been wise to have produced a ute/pick-up? That's a sector they're missing out on.

They already produce a pickup in the USA. The Honda Ridgeline.

https://automobiles.honda.com/ridgeline

From my trip there last year. I would guess Kia, Hyundai and Toyota , Suzuki more than happy to take up the slack left by Ford Honda and GM Holden.