What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Holden closing down - expat

GM has just announced that it is closing down its Australian, New Zealand and Thailand operations. It closed its Australian factories a couple of years ago and relied on imports which have not sold well. Holden was always a well loved Australian brand and had a fierce rivalry with Ford, more like the enthusiasm that people show for football teams. It is going to be greatly missed. It looks like GM is giving up on right hand drive cars totally.

Holden closing down - SLO76
GM have to me the wrong outlook to be in the motor industry. They try to cut their way to profit, they’re run by accountants who only see things in figure on a balance sheet while firms like VAG, BMW and Merc surge ahead by pouring money into product development to manufacture cars people really want to buy.

Let’s be honest, in recent years there’s really been no reason to buy a new Vauxhall over any rival other than price. They don’t lead any class and are mostly based on out of date technology, with some engines dating from the 80’s in one form or another. The 2016 Corsa 1.4 SRI I bought on behalf of my sister in law a few years back was a fine example. Dated styling, extremely dated and quite wheezy engine but it was substantially cheaper than an equivalent Fiesta, Mazda 2 or Mini. It sold on price alone which is not where any car manufacturer wants to be, yet they never learned this lesson.

They ruined Saab by starving it of investment and by forcing them to use dated GM platforms and technology. The later cars were poorly made and nowhere near the standard of rivals. You can’t cut your way to profit in this very competitive industry, you have to invest heavily and GM today are just too far behind. The firm will ultimately collapse back to its US home where it can turn a buck or two flogging its dated old pickups and bland saloons.

Edited by SLO76 on 17/02/2020 at 09:06

Holden closing down - dan86
GM have to me the wrong outlook to be in the motor industry. They try to cut their way to profit, they’re run by accountants who only see things in figure on a balance sheet while firms like VAG, BMW and Merc surge ahead by pouring money into product development to manufacture cars people really want to buy. Let’s be honest, in recent years there’s really been no reason to buy a new Vauxhall over any rival other than price. They don’t lead any class and are mostly based on out of date technology, with some engines dating from the 80’s in one form or another. The 2016 Corsa 1.4 SRI I bought on behalf of my sister in law a few years back was a fine example. Dated styling, extremely dated and quite wheezy engine but it was substantially cheaper than an equivalent Fiesta, Mazda 2 or Mini. It sold on price alone which is not where any car manufacturer wants to be, yet they never learned this lesson. They ruined Saab by starving it of investment and by forcing them to use dated GM platforms and technology. The later cars were poorly made and nowhere near the standard of rivals. You can’t cut your way to profit in this very competitive industry, you have to invest heavily and GM today are just too far behind. The firm will ultimately collapse back to its US home where it can turn a buck or two flogging its dated old pickups and bland saloons.

I remember when GM was the largest car manufacturer in the world with all its different brands. They have gone backwoods big time. For many years they've bot made a single decent product and products the sold people bought them for price as mentioned above or being patriotic.

Saab used to be excellent cars until they destroyed them. They sold off their European brands as had destroyed them there closed down iconic American brands like Pontiac after destroying the brand.

Instead of investing they cut and that's no way to run a business.

Holden closing down - edlithgow
They don’t lead any class and are mostly based on out of date technology, with some engines dating from the 80’s in one form or another.

You say that like its a bad thing?

And VAG, BMW Merc like its a good thing?

I've never thought much of GM cars (I had a company Vectra for a while) but if the above is true I'll have to keep them in mind as a future option.

Holden closing down - expat

In their heyday the produced some brilliant cars. I had a Kingswood from 1980 to 2005 and it gave me great service and very little trouble. In the late 60s and early 70s they put 3 litre 6 cylinder engines into HB Vivas with startling results. This was not your granny's Viva. They really went. They even capped that with a V8 racing version. Then there was a series of V8 Monaro muscle cars and V8 utes (pickups). All reasonably priced but real fire eaters. These cars are collectors items now and we won't see their like again.

Holden closing down - oldroverboy.

IIRC at one time Holden was the only profitable part of GM. One well know motoring journalist wrote GM = General Mess. Pretty well sums them up.

It is the accountants who are also ruining all US industries, because it is shareholder dividends that count.

Look at General Electric with the Leap engine.

Boeing with the 737 max.

Big Pharmaceuticals.. OPOID scandal.

I am sure others can find lots of other examples.

Holden closing down - Falkirk Bairn

Quality always sells & commands a premium in the market.

It's not just cars - it applies to everything - if you pay too little you often pay twice or 3 times.

Mind you you have to differentiate between Quality and PERCEIVED Quality - buying German badge does not guarantee you a reliable car.

Paying a lot for a Swiss watch "name" does guarantee it is better than a less known make fitting the same standard Swiss movement available on the watch market.

GM and corner cutting come hand in hand - before it went bust earlier this century it was a Pensions & Medical care company that made cars on the side.

Holden closing down - Engineer Andy

John Cadogan's going to have a field day on this...

Holden closing down - Kekettykek

I'm surprised he hasn't posted a video about it already.

I'm surprised he hasn't posted a video about it already.

He may have been brewing another one and perhaps will add on one about the issue soon after - it's only him doing the production, so he often goes 4-6 days without a video, then two pop up in a day.

He's bound to talk about this, given what he's said about them before.

Holden closing down - Falkirk Bairn

John does not hand out any good words about

1)GM

2)Holden

3) Blisset GM VP who made the closure announcement -John says he needs a suit that fits & needs to learn to tie his tie (He is a Yorkshire man but would not win any stars for presentation or sincerity)

4) He lays into the Aussie Minister who gave a press conference

25 minutes of John at his best

Edited by Falkirk Bairn on 18/02/2020 at 12:24

John never mices his words, does he? :-)

Holden closing down - alan1302

John never mices his words, does he? :-)

I find he often goes on and on and get bored and turn him off

Holden closing down - edlithgow

John does not hand out any good words about

1)GM

2)Holden

3) Blisset GM VP who made the closure announcement -John says he needs a suit that fits & needs to learn to tie his tie (He is a Yorkshire man but would not win any stars for presentation or sincerity)

4) He lays into the Aussie Minister who gave a press conference

25 minutes of John at his best

Thanks.

I don't THINK I would have wasted 25 minutes on that, but now I defrinately won't.

Life is too short.

Holden closing down - focussed

And on John Cadogan's video, at about 10.30 onwards - if you thought the UK had a monopoly on incompetent muppets as ministers, think again.

Karen Andrews, the Australian industry minister is excruciatingly ill informed as JC so enthusiastically points out......!