Audi a1 sport or Ford Fiesta Ecoboost s line - Can’t decide what car to get need help - Ashlie

Hi! I’m a first time poster and I was hoping someone could help. I’ve asked about through my family and friends and they are definitely
‘Badge people’ so I can’t trust their opinions lol

I bought a 2016 Audi A1 Sport 1.4 TFSI with a panoramic roof (you don’t
See these on many a1’s at all so it really stands out in real life) and special alloys from Audi in September 2019

Anyway, I absolutely love this car

•it’s SO nippy! (My brother thinks it’s faster from Setting off that his car. A black edition Audi A5 s something lol. I’m Not so sure but
I agree it does FEEL faster)
•The handling is amazing,
•It’s really solid and no rattling.
•looks amazing

This car will Be for a long time and I will take great care of it so I want it to suit and be right for me. (I bought a 2015 Renault Clio in 2019 too but it was giving me anxiety because it rattled like, well, a rattle. Anyhow. My issues with the Audi. The inside is crap. The screen looks like an old Nokia 3310 quality. It’s so so small, 3 doors and I get so stressed when people Get in the back in case they scratch the paint lol. My friends asked me why such a gorgeous car was so old fashioned inside with the knobs and stuff lol. It doesn’t even have parking sensors which my clio did (I thought they were stupid at first but now I really miss them). The roof is amazing and people turn and stare at my car if it’s off because It does make it look even better. However, that roof blinded me to the fact that the car had 55,000 miles (59 now) when I bought it 1 precious owner bought from Brand new) and it’s already took a huge chunk off the value of the car. So my question is - should I sell it for a 2019 Ford Fiesta Ecoboost 1.0 S Line in Magnetic, Black or Frozen White. They have got everything I want in a car and I can get a 2019 one for about 12,500-13-900 (been looking on car wow, Auto trader etc any suggestion would be great) as brand new they are like 23,000 no chance lol I would be paying in cash the excess from my Audi too
My no interest or anything? Would I be “pffft, going from an Audi to a ford”Like my friends
Have laughed . Peer pressure lol.

Also, does anyone have one do they rattle? I read something about a rubber heater hose on here too, but if it’s a 2019 and the one who had the plastics ones instead of a rubber one the 2019’wont be affected anymore or should I still
Make sure if I decide to go for it?

Sorry for waffling but look forward to some helpful responses.

Audi a1 sport or Ford Fiesta Ecoboost s line - Can’t decide what car to get need help - SLO76
Keep the Audi, it’s a far better made car and the engine I had a good reputation. The 1.0 Ecoboost in the Ford has a terrible reputation for longterm reliability plus you’ll lose more money with it.
Audi a1 sport or Ford Fiesta Ecoboost s line - Can’t decide what car to get need help - Galaxy

Don't buy anything which uses a Ford Ecoboost engine!

They are notoriously unreliable.

Audi a1 sport or Ford Fiesta Ecoboost s line - Can’t decide what car to get need help - carl233

Do not want to spread doom but the issues with these 1.0 Ecoboom units are not fully resolved. Failures are much reduced but they are still coming in, know a tech at the local Ford Dealer and whilst the failure rate has been much improved there are still some concerns. Also the timing belt bathed in oil depending on labour rates can cost around £800 to change and there are reports of them letting go before 100k miles. Personally I would not consider this engine at all.

Audi a1 sport or Ford Fiesta Ecoboost s line - Can’t decide what car to get need help - Ashlie
So glad I posted, I’ll avoid that then, thank you! Think I’ll stick with my a1 for now and get parking sensors retro fitted. If the mileage is still bugging me in a few months ill consider a new shape a1 a year old sport or ban an s line in my old shape! Trust me to buy the old shape then see a new shape a few days later haha

Edited by Ashlie on 31/01/2020 at 16:33

Audi a1 sport or Ford Fiesta Ecoboost s line - Can’t decide what car to get need help - daveyjp

I think it is only fair to advise the OP that the 1.4 TSi (in its every changing variants over the years in an attempt to rectify faults ) has hardly been a paragon of reliability.

Audi a1 sport or Ford Fiesta Ecoboost s line - Can’t decide what car to get need help - SLO76

I think it is only fair to advise the OP that the 1.4 TSi (in its every changing variants over the years in an attempt to rectify faults ) has hardly been a paragon of reliability.

To date the later belt driven version has been very robust. The OP’s car uses this engine and not the older troublesome chain driven type.
Thank you clarifying that I started to panic then lol
Audi a1 sport or Ford Fiesta Ecoboost s line - Can’t decide what car to get need help - Avant

If you bought the Audi only a few months ago you'll lose a lot if you change again so soon. The size and number of doors clearly didn't put you off buying the car so presumably you can live with it now.

My wife had an A1 with this engine - lovely car and the 1.4 engine is very lively. She has an A3 convertible now but although we like it very much we miss the nippiness of the A1. We never found a problem with the inside: certainly better quality than you'd get in a Fiesta. And the buttons are greatly preferable to everything being done on a touchscreen.

The highish mileage shouldn't be a problem provded it has a full service history: better that than one with 5,000 miles which might have done lots of short journeys.

So hang on to it and enjoy.

I guess so, and I guess more knobs and buttons for get dust in and annoy me on a more decked out car. It has what I NEED I’m just being fussy! Lol. Yeah it really is so fast for a small car when I test drove it I nearly ended up a field ooops.

Yep I definitely will keep up with the services and everything I’ve only had old sheds before so not really bothered but with this I have a money pot for
My car I’m keeping it as good as I can :)
Audi a1 sport or Ford Fiesta Ecoboost s line - Can’t decide what car to get need help - badbusdriver

It sounds to me like you bought the Audi because you like it, but now want to sell it because your friends don't, which is kinda sad i have to say. Though i am curious as to (a) why you think your friends are going to scratch it getting in the back?, and (b) if this is a real concern, why did you get a 3 door?.

But a few things worth pointing out.

1, As SLO has pointed out, your Audi is far better built, quality wise, than any Fiesta will be. Or indeed any other small car you can currently buy. Not only that, but going by what i read, it also has a higher quality interior than the new A1.

2, Don't be mislead into thinking that because your car does not have a big touchscreen infotainment system than a new car, it's an inferior car. Just less distracting to you as the driver. Which is a good thing, not a bad thing.

3, As this is fundamentally a very well made and reliable car, the above average mileage is absolutely nothing to be concerned about.

4, Bit cheeky this one, but if your friends are slagging of your car, tell them to walk or get the bus, at least that way you don't need to worry about them scratching your paint!.

Edited by badbusdriver on 31/01/2020 at 20:44

Audi a1 sport or Ford Fiesta Ecoboost s line - Can’t decide what car to get need help - sammy1

The Audi A1 1.4sport is top of the market in the small car range hence its price. It is not a car for 4 adults on long journeys as the back seat is way too small and the rear headrests are somewhere in your upper back. It is a better car than the same year Fiesta. The only negative with the A1 I find is a fairly hard ride on 16inch alloys and only practical for two

Audi a1 sport or Ford Fiesta Ecoboost s line - Can’t decide what car to get need help - badbusdriver

It is not a car for 4 adults on long journeys as the back seat is way too small and the rear headrests are somewhere in your upper back.

Surely that depends on the size of the occupants?. The A1 is not that small, the problem is that it is quite a low car. So if there are long legged or tall front seat occupants, the seats are probably going to be positioned in such a way to make it difficult if not impossible for a rear passenger to fit. But if the front occupants are of average or below average height, maybe the seat is ratcheted up a bit in height, no reason why an average sized adult couldn't fit behind.

As for the rear headrest positions, they aren't fixed, slide them up!.

Audi a1 sport or Ford Fiesta Ecoboost s line - Can’t decide what car to get need help - drd63
Ashlie, there are a few VAG fanboys on here who have an agenda with Ford. Every review you read will rave about the Fiesta it is head and shoulders above anything of a similar price. As you have discovered the Fiesta has everything you need. Ford rate above Audi and VW in the 2019 J D Power survey, probably the most trusted indicator of car reliability and quality. The truth is there was a problem about 4 years ago with the eco boost engine, nothing wrong with the design but a fault with cooling hoses. It was resolved years ago, genuinely nothing to worry about. Read this months Top Gear for a recent Fiesta review. As for holding value, again as good or better than others, it’s as popular 2nd hand as it is new and with good reason. Frankly the only reason not to buy a Fiesta is because you just want to be different.
“ It was resolved years ago, genuinely nothing to worry about.”

Tell that to my neighbour who’s recently had to fit a secondhand engine in his 2014 Fiesta Ecoboost that had less than 50,000 miles up. He does hammer the thing everywhere mind but if he’d bought a Yamaha engined model as I told him to it would’ve be no trouble at all. Tell it also to the work colleague who sold his 2014 Focus 1.0 Ecoboost that suffered engine failure at just over 60,000 miles for scrap. Yes it is entirely possible they’ve finally fixed it but it’ll take years to find out for sure and the trade are very wary of them now.

Small capacity turbocharged petrols such as Ford’s 1.0 Ecoboost have struggled to prove themselves with a shaky start to say the least. Ford’s is the most high profile but Renault/Nissan have suffered loads of failures on their 1.2 TCe motor, Fiat with their 900cc Twin air and VAG with early chain driven and twin charger versions of their 1.4 TSi’s. The only one I’d recommend of this lot is the later belt driven VAG 1.4 TSi which has proven itself with some taxi owners now favouring it over diesels as it nearly matches their economy but misses out on the usual costly diesel woes.

Edited by SLO76 on 31/01/2020 at 23:56

Audi a1 sport or Ford Fiesta Ecoboost s line - Can’t decide what car to get need help - drd63
I think the examples you give kind of make my point, they are both 2014 models you cite, early examples. Ford will be high profile simply because of the volume of cars they sell and we can all recount tales of friends, family etc with expensive car woes.
Plenty of cases of transmission issues with them too both manual and especially Powershift auto. I personally don’t trust them, I’ve seen and heard of too many issues and Ford in a desperate attempt to return their European arm to profit have been cost cutting for years. Again yes they may have the 1.0 Ecoboost motor sorted post 2015 but with few around with heavy miles it remains to be seen if it’ll reverse opinions. Stick with the 1.25/1.4/1.6 Yamaha design or buy a much more robust but similar to drive Mazda 2 instead if a Fiesta is high on the list of priorities.

Ashlie, there are a few VAG fanboys on here who have an agenda with Ford.

Absolute rubbish!. There may well be a few forum members who are mistrustful of the 1.0 Ecoboost but that really isn't the same as your implication. In the case of myself, i'm not a fan of VAG at all, especially Audi.For the record, i'd probably be OK with going for a new (possibly for nearly new) Ecoboost, but i'd still be wary about it and be very fastidious about maintenence. And i still maintain the OP's current car is better in terms of reliability and much better in terms of build quality and resale value.

Every review you read will rave about the Fiesta it is head and shoulders above anything of a similar price.

This also is just not true (and i have been reading a lot of reviews and road tests recently due to our iminent change of car). The Fiesta is certainly a good car, and if your priority is handling, probably the best in class. But in terms of all round ability, not only are the Polo and Ibiza both considered better, but a recent Auto Express test i read placed the new Clio above the Fiesta too.

Audi a1 sport or Ford Fiesta Ecoboost s line - Can’t decide what car to get need help - carl233

Latest reg with 1.0 Ecoboom failure is 67 plate I know of. Also the spate of clutch issues still seems to be going on with a fair number of failures. Also not a unit you can repair after failure only really replace. Not an engine for longer term ownership. One better suited to the PCP shorter term debt brigade that would not keep very long.

Audi a1 sport or Ford Fiesta Ecoboost s line - Can’t decide what car to get need help - primus 1

SLO, am interested to know what transmission issues the Fiesta’s are having, also what year?

“ Ashlie, there are a few VAG fanboys on here who have an agenda with Ford.“

I frequently recommend Ford’s as used buys. Those fitted with simple Japanese designed petrol engines make excellent used buys. The later cars with Ford’s own 3cyl motors I don’t trust and won’t recommend.
Hi, thanks for the response I’ve only just seen it!

Yeah I absolutely love it, I saw one driving last year and I said I’m getting that, and a week later I’d bought one.

The one I saw had xenon lights however and as mine is a sport, not an s line it doesn’t and I was absolutely gutted when I found out. After I’d bought it (tbh I should’ve researched because if I’d have known I would’ve got an s line, and left mine with the roof behind. I can’t have them retrofit either so that sucks! Someone told me I can get a white bulb in them instead so I’m going to do that I think.

My friends think it’s nice but they do moan about the space and I’ve told em where to go honestly if everyone was telling me the Ford was better I’d take the ribbing from my friends and get the Ford lol. So that doesn’t concern me really.

I’ve decided to keep it now, maybe for yearS or maybe a Year until the 2019 new shapes come down in price a bit.

I just worry their shoes and stuff with scratch the paint work when they’re clambering in and out and I got a three door because I never used to drive us about but ironically since I got a 3 door I do’ my next car with definitely be a 5 door lol.

I definitely do feel a bit jealous of people’s big fancy screens tbh but my clip had a better one, width sat nav and never used it ever. I used my Audi for Bluetooth radio and calls and I know that’s all I need, I guess the fancy new screens just look nicer which is shallow of me lol.

I think you're doing the right thing in keeping your A1 and not succumbing to peer pressure. As others have said if you want a car for the pleasure of driving Ford are right at the top of their game. I'm also putting my money where my mouth is and buying a Puma with the 1l ecoboost engine, it's our family runabout car so interesting to see how it copes with c20k miles p.a. Anyway Top Gear* summaries - Audi A1 - distinctly average road manners and mediocre engines 5/10. VW Polo - A comprehensive little supermini 6/10. Renault Clio - more space and a better interior than a Polo 6/10. Ford Fiesta - arguably the best supermini on sale gets a new look and better interior. We're sold. 9/10. Oh btw in choosing the Puma we also looked at VW TRoc, Puma comes with much more safety kit, drives much better and although it's not the most inspiring interior feels well made and is streets ahead of the T-Roc. *Feel free to choose your own magazine until it supports your own views!!

Anyway Top Gear* summaries - Audi A1 - distinctly average road manners and mediocre engines 5/10. VW Polo - A comprehensive little supermini 6/10. Renault Clio - more space and a better interior than a Polo 6/10. Ford Fiesta - arguably the best supermini on sale gets a new look and better interior. We're sold. 9/10.

If you read a magazine like Top Gear, it is only to be expected that their main concern is how it gets down a twisty road. And if that is what you want as a buyer, you won't be disapointed. But in terms of interior and boot space, it lags well behind the Polo, Ibiza and Clio. And actually from my own experience comparing a Fiesta (Active) and a Suzuki Swift a couple of days ago, the Suzuki definitely had the edge for interior space, particularly in rear, where the Swift had noticeably more foot space (this despite having a wheelbase more than 4cm shorter than the Fiesta).

As for TG's opinion on the A1. Seeing as Ashlie absolutley loves her (2016*) A1, there was no point in posting it (unless you want to criticise her choice and opinion).

*The TG comments here based on the current car, so not applicable anyway.

If you read my post you’ll see that I opened by saying that Ashlie is doing the right thing in keeping her car. Occasionally there is a car on the market which is markedly better than others, which seems to be the case with Fiesta and my posts have simply been comparing my views and that of much of the motoring press in support of the Fiesta against criticism from others. I have had cars in the past which objectively haven’t been great, DS5, but which I have loved. Great interior, awful ride.

If you read my post you’ll see that I opened by saying that Ashlie is doing the right thing in keeping her car.

Yes, and then very quickly went on to point out how Top Gear rate the Audi A1 as distinctly average, and that they think the Fiesta is soooo much better.

in support of the Fiesta against criticism from others.

And again, you don't seem to comprehend that the Fiesta is not being criticised, the Ecoboost engine is.

For the record though, here is the 'general consensus' (from sources other than TG) on Fiesta vs Polo vs Ibiza.

Autocar score the Fiesta, Polo and Ibiza as 4.5/5 each (though they actually place the Ibiza 1st, Polo 2nd and Fiesta 3rd).

What Car rate the Ibiza and Polo at 5/5, the Fiesta as 4/5

Auto Express rate the Ibiza as 4.5/5, the Fiesta and Polo at 4/5.

HJ rates the Fiesta and Polo at 5/5 and the Ibiza as 4/5.

Parkers rate the Ibiza and Fiesta at 4.6/5 and the Polo as 4.3/5.

Carwow rates the Polo at 9/10 with the Fiesta and Ibiza getting 8/10.

Autotrader owner reviews scores the Polo at 4.6/5, the Fiesta 4.5/5 and the Ibiza 4.4/5.

I could go on, but i think the picture is quite clear with regards to the accuracy of this statement,

Every review you read will rave about the Fiesta it is head and shoulders above anything of a similar price.