Citroen C4 Grand Picasso - 1.6 or 2.0 Citroen diesel - tbg

I know diesels are the devil at the moment BUT does anyone know of any articles about the bluehdi 1.6 and 2.0 diesels from Citroen ( 2016 onwards ) with regards reliability etc

Citroen C4 Grand Picasso - 1.6 or 2.0 Citroen diesel - SLO76
Early 1.6’s had a habit of eating turbos, later versions are better but it’s still too common while the 2.0 is much more robust and is used in Peugeot/Citroen/Fiat and now Vauxhall hackney cabs that can run to big six figure mileages with care.

You biggest problems with a C4 Picasso will be electrical issues. Everyone I personally know who’s ran or runs one has been plagued with gremlins and the taxi trade tend to veer away from them despite the 2.0 engines being pretty tough. Too many gadgets and not enough quality. The Hackney’s which share its engine have less in the way of pointless gadgetry.

I get the appeal, they’re very practical and comfortable but I’d sooner have a Ford Grans C-Max or an S-Max preferably which use the same engines and the later 1.5 which just a redesigned 1.6 reduced in size to fit in with certain nations tax bandings, China for example which hits everything over 1500cc hard. Don’t touch a 1.0 Ecoboost or a Powershift gearbox but the Yamaha designed 1.6 Ecoboost petrol is good as is the Mazda designed 2.0 Ecoboost petrol if you find either engine.

Edited by SLO76 on 26/01/2020 at 08:41

Thanks for the reply. I've looked at the grand c max but I don't like it, so that rules that one out. The s max is on the expensive side and I'm not sure on its reliability. As far a electrical reliability on the Citroen is it that much worse the the above cars because when I look at reliability index online it's not too much different between the cars with regards electrical issues.

Citroen C4 Grand Picasso - 1.6 or 2.0 Citroen diesel - Peter.N.

The 2.0. Hdi engine is pretty bomb proof, I have two in C5 estates, not the easiest to work on but they seem utterly reliable providing the oil has been changed regularly.

The 1.6 has improved but I will stick with the 2.0. as its a known quantity.

Citroen C4 Grand Picasso - 1.6 or 2.0 Citroen diesel - Bromptonaut

The 2.0. Hdi engine is pretty bomb proof, I have two in C5 estates, not the easiest to work on but they seem utterly reliable providing the oil has been changed regularly.

I assume that's the 90 or 110 PS motor that made it's debut in the Xantia.

Although both are 1997cc I'm not sure how much commonality it has with the blue HDi unit that goes in current range.

AIUI the problematic 1.6 was the 16 valve version, the 8 valves had different lubrication set up. It was a blocked sump strainer that caused them to eat turbochargers. If the strainer wasn't sorted as part of repair the new turbo would quickly be toast too

Citroen C4 Grand Picasso - 1.6 or 2.0 Citroen diesel - Gibbo_Wirral

AIUI the problematic 1.6 was the 16 valve version, the 8 valves had different lubrication set up. It was a blocked sump strainer that caused them to eat turbochargers. If the strainer wasn't sorted as part of repair the new turbo would quickly be toast too

Made worse by the 20,000 mile oil service interval, and people or garages not using the special low ash oil the engine needs.

So does that mean the 1.6 8 valve should ok, but 2.0 better. There seems to be more 1.6s about. Also is the 2.0 euro 6

Citroen C4 Grand Picasso - 1.6 or 2.0 Citroen diesel - Peter.N.

My 2.0. engines are the later 16 valve 138 hp, they are used in many different cars and seem to be proving reliable. Yes, the earlier 8 valve engines were very reliable but the 16 valve hasn't proved otherwise so far.

The 1.6 was problematic when it first came out although I suspect some of the problem was lack of oil changes but this engine didn't tolerate dirty oil very well with numerous turbo failures.

The oil feed to the turbo had an in line filter which clogged up and starved the turbo of oil causing bearing/seal failure. The problem was exacerbated by a small sump which couldn't be completely drained. It has received some modifications to improve matters but I don't know when this happened.

The Ford 1.6 which was based on this engine suffered the same problems although there are fewer reports of problems now.

If you are looking at a 1.6 I would suggest removing the oil filler cap and checking for any loose carbon deposits inside and also the history to see if it has ever had the turbo replaced.

If you decide on one give it an immediate oil change and make regular changes at less than the recommended interval.

I have never owned a 1.6 but have read very much about its failures, in fact it was a major content of some car forums for some time.

I would do some research on the net.

Edited by Peter.N. on 28/01/2020 at 11:04

Thanks for the reply. I've looked at the grand c max but I don't like it, so that rules that one out. The s max is on the expensive side and I'm not sure on its reliability. As far a electrical reliability on the Citroen is it that much worse the the above cars because when I look at reliability index online it's not too much different between the cars with regards electrical issues.

Depends on how long you keep it. As these age they tend to fall of a cliff reliability wise especially regarding electronics which in typical French fashion just aren’t up to the job.

Thanks for all the help. As I understand it 1.6 ok as long as it's 8 valve, and I presume the 8 valve has had the oil thing sorted but better to get the 2.0..as for how long I'll keep the car as long as it's reliable (ish) . What would be the better alternative rather than the picasso.

Also how reliable is the s max bearing in mind that for the money you'll end up getting a car 1 or 2 years older with higher mileage than a picasso.

The S-Max is better made and nicer to drive, it’ll also hold its money better. Forget the Powershift auto which is notoriously unreliable. If funds allow then there’s always the excellent 1.5 Ecoboost petrol which uses a very reliable Yamaha designed motor which will do 40mpg easy enough and avoids any diesel related problems.
Citroen C4 Grand Picasso - 1.6 or 2.0 Citroen diesel - Bromptonaut

Depends on how long you keep it. As these age they tend to fall of a cliff reliability wise especially regarding electronics which in typical French fashion just aren’t up to the job.

Would be interested in real world evidence for that.

I've run a 1991 BX, a 2000 Xantia and a 2005 Berlingo to 120-150k and ten years plus. Current Berlingo is 2013 and just shy of 100k.

While each had occasional problems there were no huge issues.

And not one was electronic though Xantia had a design issue in harness linking battery to alternator and starter.

“ Would be interested in real world evidence for that”

Would over twenty years of buying and selling the things, skulking around dealers and auctions speaking with others with decades of experience and watching said cars smoking their way through the ring with blown turbos and dashboards lit like Christmas trees be enough real world for you? I’ve been stung by a few of them over the years, most dealers and traders have.

Yes PSA have built some great and pretty reliable cars in the past but they’ve always been (since the 90’s anyway) a bit hit and miss. The old TU series petrols, XUD and early 8v 2.0 HDI diesels were very robust, the latter particularly so but they’ve never been great with electronics and later engines both petrol and diesel have a less than stellar reputation in the trade for good reason.

That said and as with any mass market product even one with a reputation for problems such as early 16v 1.6 HDi’s, Ford Powershift and VAG DSG gearboxes and Mazda 2.2 Skyactiv diesels the majority of owners will see no major issues, your chances of a hugely costly failure are however much higher than with a model that has a better reputation.

Edited by SLO76 on 30/01/2020 at 23:17

Citroen C4 Grand Picasso - 1.6 or 2.0 Citroen diesel - Catfood

I have 63 Reg C4 Picasso with 1.6HDI (8V), which just passed 83,000 miles and I have no engine issue as of today. I change the engine oil annually or 12,000 miles.

As much as an smax would be nice ,I struggle with getting a car older for the money I struggle to see long term benefits of the older car. Also cat engine ok what about the other stuff

Citroen C4 Grand Picasso - 1.6 or 2.0 Citroen diesel - gordonbennet

Many have come to the conclusion that looking for cars in the age and price range you are just isn't worth it, cars have been increasingly loaded with silly gearboxes and pointless electronic gimmicks that are destined to failure, electric parking brake a perfect example of something that will bite you even if the gearbox of cheese manages to stay together and the engine didn't grenade, even if serviced once every 20,000 miles or whatever ludicrous figure some wide boy in sales plucked from his back side and thought would bring the punters rolling in, at which mileage the oil is more like tar and about as much use.

This is why so many people are going for new on a lease or long term hire of some sort and washing their hands of it when the warranty expires.

For what its worth i wouldn't give a used going out of warranty C4 GP the time of day, nor the Ford mentioned, i buy older gen which is more reliable if looked after, but then i can look after them myself which makes my way cost effective for me.

The benefits of carefully chosen older designs is they are simpler and typically more reliable, and easier to fix if they do go wrong.

If i had to rely on paid mechanics i'd probably join the throng renting or leasing new and hand the neglected heap back when the time is up.

Thanks for all the advice and help. Although I still am no closer to deciding what to get. .

It would the 1.6 diesel from PSA is in a lot of different cars with issues does this include Renault cars.

Thanks for all the advice and help. Although I still am no closer to deciding what to get. .

It would the 1.6 diesel from PSA is in a lot of different cars with issues does this include Renault cars.

Renault use their own engines, many have problems too but the 1.5 dci is generally robust if looked after. That said, as with other French cars they tend to deteriorate very quickly past 5yrs old with electrical, suspension and trim Problems. While a good 7yr old Honda or Toyota is just getting into its stride a Renault or Citroen is typically becoming a money-pit.
Citroen C4 Grand Picasso - 1.6 or 2.0 Citroen diesel - badbusdriver

How about a bit of an oddball suggestion, the Nissan NV200?. Not the van obviously, but they made a 7 seat MPV version. Many of these were converted for carrying wheelchair users, but there are quite a few others kicking about. This uses the 1.5dci engine mentioned above, but, i believe, they are a bit more reliable otherwise. I think i'm right in saying the NV200 had little Renault in it other than the engines. The previous small Nissan van was simply a Nissan badged Kangoo, but the NV200 was designed independantly.

Plus points are that it has a surprising amount of space for it's footprint, sliding doors both sides, it is very narrow(*), and that relaible engine.

Minus points, (*)being narrow can also go in here if you need all 7 seats as 3 adults on the rear bench would be a bit tight. High window line for rear passengers (though whether or not that is a problem will depend on high the rear seats are mounted). It is not as flexible as a purpose built MPV, the centre row slides forward and back (but i'm pretty sure the only way to get it out of the way would be with a tool kit!), and the rear row splits in the middle with each seat folding up against the side. Most powerful engine option is 110bhp, but most common is 90bhp.

Here is one for a look,

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20191101392...1

Thanks for that. I think the Nissan maybe a little slow for my liking. The Renault 1.5 on the more reliable side what about the more powerful 1.6 Renault. Although according to reliability index electrics are shocking ( pun intended ) . Also does anyone have opinions about the reliability index website.

What about honda crv

Citroen C4 Grand Picasso - 1.6 or 2.0 Citroen diesel - Big John

What about honda crv

Cracking car Gromit