SUV auto under 10k - dazzabeezer

Looking for an SUV auto under £10,000.

Is this realistic? What do you recommend as i will be doing 18-20k miles a year.

Also what mileage on the purchase as a max.

SUV auto under 10k - SLO76
Doable but care is required. With your mileage and budget (hybrid isn’t affordable) diesel is really the only option as petrol SUV’s unless you’re willing to accept smaller stuff like a Vitara are rather thirsty. A petrol Honda CRV or Toyota RAV4 will struggle to do much over 30mpg day to day, possibly worse.

A Mk IV Honda CRV 2.2 DTEC auto is probably the best bet or a late Mk III with low miles and loads of spec for similar money. Personally I’d go for the later model, it’s a bit more refined and slightly better on fuel plus it’ll hold its value better. As with any modern diesel it will have a DPF however so it’ll require regular longer runs to regen and you’ll need to allow for the occasional expense despite generally being pretty reliable.

I ran a 2014 1.6 DTEC for 4yrs and really rated it as a solid, comfortable and spacious family wagon but I’d buy auto next time on account of Honda’s inability to make a clutch that can cope with a Diesel engine. The auto is reliable and smooth which suited the laidback nature of the car.

Let me know roughly where you are and I’ll look for a few options near you.
SUV auto under 10k - focussed

"Honda’s inability to make a clutch that can cope with a Diesel engine"

Rather it's clutch manufacturers who couldn't make clutches that could cope with the torque of a Honda diesel, while still maintaining a light enough pedal pressure to satisfy the majority of non-enthusiast driver's requirements, or Honda speccing a clutch pack that was more user friendly than torque resistant.

After having the clutch and flywheel replaced under warranty on our 2007 Civic due to slipping, the replacement clutch had a harder pedal pressure but didn't bother me.

Our current 2015 Accord Tourer with the 180 hp diesel has a multi-pad clutch friction plate and it bites like a pit bull.

Edited by focussed on 20/01/2020 at 09:41

SUV auto under 10k - Big John

With miles you are doing a diesel probably best - how about a Skoda Yeti? I myself would avoid a 4x4 and automatic re longevity - [EDIT] sorry didn't spot that you wanted auto

Edited by Big John on 19/01/2020 at 23:37

SUV auto under 10k - Avant

You're going to get mightily confused if you ask different questions on different threads (on your other current one you didn't specify an SUV).

Decide what sort of car you really want, and then I'd suggest looking for the appropriate model from Toyota, Honda Suzuki, Kia or Hyundai. All of these offer diesel autos in one form or another. Mazda petrols are good but avoid Mazda diesels.

SUV auto under 10k - dazzabeezer

Thanks for the replies whilst looking for a civic I have quickly realised I would prefer an SUV. I do like the look of the crv a lot and have looked at this before. I also like the Kia sportage but not sure that will be in budget?. I am based in Hertfordshire so any assistance appreciated. Thank you.

Edited by dazzabeezer on 20/01/2020 at 08:03

SUV auto under 10k - John F

You should also consider the 1.2 puretech with EAT6 powertrain found in the Peugeot 2008 and Vauxhall Crossland. This excellent auto powertrain is beginning to appear on the sub 10K second hand market. At your mileage you will probably be on many roads when the relaxed gallic long-legged 6th gear is engaged and so should get over 40mpg.