What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Ford Focus - New Ford Focus - daveyK_UK

Had a new 1.0 petrol focus hire car for the week, what a huge improvement over the previous version.

For a start, there is actual interior space unlike the previous shape Focus that was so cramped you couldn't swing a cat in the back or the front, infact you couldn't even open the glove box if you had a front seat passenger.

Ford have finally found some of the practicality and enjoyable driving experience that made the original Focus such a good car.

It dimensions remind me alot of the Fiat Tipo but with a better dash, faster engine and more toys but equally as much good interior space. I also think the Tipo is an absolute bargain brand new for under £10k with a broker, presume the Focus Titanium I had costs alot more.

Edited by daveyK_UK on 16/11/2019 at 20:03

Ford Focus - New Ford Focus - drd63
I had one as a courtesy car for a day, thought it was fantastic, I assumed it was the 1.5 and was thinking it went well for a 1.5T but it was actually the 1.0.
Ford Focus - New Ford Focus - Penumbra

Slightly off tack, but I had one of the original Tipo s when they first came out (late 1980s) with the electronic dash. Really good car at the time but it had to be scrapped at 5 years old due to rust. The body panels were galvanised but the floor pan wasn't

Ford Focus - New Ford Focus - Engineer Andy

A pity the latest Focus is not exactly a looker. I still prefer the mk2.5 (updated mk2) for both styling (inside and out) and drive, ride and the decent sized boot.

I remember being distinctly underwhelmed with the mk3 (including the updated version) when I was looking for a replacement for my Mazda3 nearly 3 years ago - cheap-looking plasticky interior, small boot, unreliable engines and 'auto' (Powershift) box, average looks at best.

Other than the latest Fiesta, I think Fords are not nice looking cars any more. Just my opinion.

The Tipo is essentially now the bargain basement car, taking over the mantle of the Nissan Pulsar - just before they stopped selling them in the UK, I saw brokers selling mid-upper spec models with the 1.6T petrol engine for £12.5k and the 1.2T engine for about £11k.

£10k for a Focus sized car like the Tipo is ridicously cheap (not sure about reliability though) - that's £300 less than I paid for my essentially new Mazda3 1.6 petrol (no turbo!) TS2 (mid-spec) at Motorpoint back in early 2006 (14 years of inflation to add), which back then was 25-30% off the list price You have to wonder at the margin on cars when sold at full price.

Ford Focus - New Ford Focus - thunderbird

A pity the latest Focus is not exactly a looker.

Tell me a current family car that is a looker. Wife really liked the Mazda 3 until she sat in one, no space in the rear and could not see out the back. Style over function.

taking over the mantle of the Nissan Pulsar - just before they stopped selling them in the UK, I saw brokers selling mid-upper spec models with the 1.6T petrol engine for £12.5k and the 1.2T engine for about £11k.

We bought a Pulsar 1.6T for the wife early last year, cost us £12,000, what a bargain. Still love it despite it never getting good press, what do they know.

With the state pension coming to me next year I will have an increase in income that will enable me to replace the old Focus and a new Focus is obviously at the top of the list. Been and had a look and its a major improvement over the Mk 2 (lets forget the Mk 3 - to me it was a disaster). The 1.5 petrol Titanium has everything we need as standard, the best price I have seen so far is £19400 with 0% finance.

That is way more than we paid for the Pulsar but bargains seem to have currently disappeared.

The much hailed Skoda Scala is one to forget in many ways. Looks wise It is exactly the same as the now defunct and widely disliked Rabid and little more than a Fabia that has been on the photocopier at 110%. The designers must be the idlest in the world. As for price the best I have seen for a 1.5 TSi SE-L is £20600 (5.9% finance) and for a car that is promoted by the press as being a "cheap" Golf that is to me expensive. And lets not forget its fitted with the troublesome 1.5 TSi engine, who would buy one?

And whilst you can get cheap Tipos they are poverty spec with a 95 PS engine. The 120 PS versions are still under powered compared to newer models, even my old Focus has more than that, thinks its 125PS.

Ford Focus - New Ford Focus - daveyK_UK
Picked up a Astra 1.0 petrol hire car this time, engine just as nice to drive as the 1.0 eco boost ford and the clutch set up in the Astra feels like it doesn’t want to race away like the Ford clutch does.