What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Any - New car, how hard can it be? - catsdad

After six happy years with the Civic I fancy a change. Taking a well trodden Back Room route I thought a 1-3 year old Japanese/Korean/VAG medium sized estate or hatch with a large boot would fit the bill. SUVs with small boots do not appeal. I want petrol manual and 1.4 litre plus as I am not convinced that 1 litre engines are up to the job for mid-sized cars. My preferred budget is £10-12k plus the trade-in.

HJ values my car as £3.8k and WBAC offered £4.1k although I am aware they tend to reduce offers on inspection. Having said that its got full main Honda service history and is unmarked.

I thought this would be an easy pleasure until I spent today at local dealers.

First up was a 2018 ex-rental Golf 1.4 125hp Estate at £15.4k. It was a nice enough car although it felt a bit slow compared to the Civic. They were very enthusiastic about my Civic while inspecting it but then offered only £3.4k! He showed me his data and this is bottom book while their car was close to top money. Hard bargaining got them to reduce the cost to change by £400, in effect valuing my Civic at the HJ value. However this was still only where I'd initially expected negotiations to start, not the end point. They wouldn't budge.

Then went to the Honda dealer. Their trade-in offer, without negotiation, was spot on at £3.8k. The problem is I can't warm to the new Civic and the 1.5 HRV I tried was a let-down. It went well enough but it was noisy. The salesman said that Honda has improved this in the face lift but they had none in stock and anyway wouldn't be in my price range. Its shame that Honda has lost its way for traditional buyers,

Finally I dropped into the Volvo dealer. I've always liked the look from afar of the V40 and they had a few at good prices. However its just too small.

I reckon the 1.4 Octavia is worth a look and its more powerful than the Golf. But there are none that meet my criteria within 50 miles of me at the moment. 1.5s are plentiful but of course have a reputation for kangarooing. Kia Ceeds are equally rare and 1.0 engines dominate. Toyota Auris hatch is too small and estates are non-existent.

Any ideas where I go next folks?

Any - New car, how hard can it be? - Avant

We often say 'don't go too far afield to buy a car' but this tends to apply to older cars where rejection is more of a possibility. You're looking for something which should be within warranty, so you could go further in the search for a 1.4 manual Octavia which seems to tick most of your boxes. Look at Cars for Sale on this site as well as Autotrader.

Keep looking out for the Kia Ceed: the Hyundai i30 is similar. There's an estate version of the Ceed if you need more room: I can't remember if there is a estate i30.

Finally, have you already eliminated the Focus and Astra? As long as you avoid the 1.0 petrol Focus, there should be lots of these around.

Edited by Avant on 16/10/2019 at 21:53

Any - New car, how hard can it be? - gordonbennet

As Avant, look further afield for an Auris estate too (would an Avensis Tourer be too large?), bought approved used from any Toyota main dealer and likely still under maker's warranty anyway, you should be fine going hundreds of miles way.

Might be worth a private ad for your present car once the new one is bought, you always have the fall back of WBAC if that proves not to happen, but if you can get an extra £300 even that's going to pay the travelling costs of looking for and then going by train to collect your next car.

Thanks for comments.

SLO I am in the M4 corridor 75 miles west of London.

I did AT searches on Avant's suggestions and the national numbers are surprisingly small. With criteria of manual petrol 2017-18 and under 20k miles there are 17 Octavia 1.4 (only 8 being man approved), As for Ceed estates there are only twelve 1.4s nationally and they start at £18k. Hyundai versions are even rarer with only two and close to £20k. None is within 80 miles

Plenty of Focus estates but they are mainly l litre. As for 1.5s, apart from one strangely cheap one (non franchise, £12.5k) they are all close to £20k and again far away.

I like Astras but the non turbo 1.4/1.6 are bit dull to my thinking. The 1.4t is good on paper but has a mixed reputation on reliability and is subject to a recall I believe. The 1.6T is another category of car at 200hp and not what I am after. Also although more common there are only 58 Astra estates nationally in my parameters.

I had an Avensis estate as a company car and didn't like it. Auris estates are even rarer, 6 nationally with none within 100 miles.

I would have no issue if I could drive 100 miles, do a good deal and drive off in the new car and never need to return. But I failed to cut a deal today 15 miles from home and the idea of travelling miles fruitlessly isn't attractive. Maybe I will need to travel once I have narrowed down my options but I am just surprised that cars I thought were common are so vanishingly rare.

My car would be a good private sale with a real full service history that trade buyers ignore (eg brake fluid, valve clearances, gearbox oil, pads and discs, Cross Climates with 5mm tread). Despite that I'd rather avoid the hassle of a private sale and am happy to accept the book value.

Any - New car, how hard can it be? - SLO76
Where in the country be thee? I’m sure we’ll be happy to help spend your money, I certainly enjoy a wee car shopping trip online.
Any - New car, how hard can it be? - gordonbennet

Don't forget ebay classifieds whilst looking.

Properly looked after car your own, wouldn't be surprised if SLO could sort you out a buyer from his old regular customers, not many cars get proper maintenance like that, shame if it ends up alongside the usual neglected thrashed dross at some car lot.

Don't forget ebay classifieds whilst looking.

Properly looked after car your own, wouldn't be surprised if SLO could sort you out a buyer from his old regular customers, not many cars get proper maintenance like that, shame if it ends up alongside the usual neglected thrashed dross at some car lot.

Bit too far for me but if you were local I’d have that sold in no time.
Any - New car, how hard can it be? - sammy1

What's the rush, try Ebay listings

Sammy, no rush as such but once you decide to change and move the money out of savings the itch starts.

I just naively thought that I'd have an easy job to select a new car.

I will look at eBay as suggested.

Does anyone know if the 1.5 Octavia is affected by kangarooing? There are lots about. I asked the VW salesman about the VW cars. He was very open that they'd had several returns of 1.5 SUVs (I can't remember which) but none of their Golfs were affected. Mind you this was when he was trying to sell me a Golf, albeit the 1.4 so he may have an interest!
Any - New car, how hard can it be? - Glaikit Wee Scunner {P}

The 1.5TSI Octavia manual and DSG are affected. The Briskoda forum has the latest news. A software fix is available for existing cars and ,apparently ,new cars are Ok.

Edited by Glaikit Wee Scunner {P} on 17/10/2019 at 10:42

Glaikit, OK I thought as much.

Any - New car, how hard can it be? - pd

If the V40 is too small look at the V60. A bit bigger but not a lot bigger (probably no larger than a Civic to be honest) and feels a more grown up, luxurious car.

Not really any more money either.

Seen a few and here my wee list in order of preference assuming condition and history are equal, which no doubt they won’t be.

Audi A4 Avant with the well liked 1.4 TSi motor, this will hold its value better than most but is a bit older as a result.

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20191003291...1

Seat Leon FR estate, less powerful 125PS motor but it’ll outperform an 1800 Civic in most situations. A good model in sport FR spec but surprisingly rare with the 1.4 motor.

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20190306561...2

One of my favourites and in the right colour. These are great to drive and mechanically bulletproof if you stick to the petrol motor. Only reason it’s not at the top is that it’s not an approved used one and most examples that end up at small dealers via auction general sales have something wrong, possibly poor paint repairs so be careful if viewing.

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20190903181...6

This is a nice big thing too. The last real Vauxhall, it’s big, well made and there’s no real reliability worries with the petrol versions.

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20191008309...7

Edited by SLO76 on 17/10/2019 at 14:54

Thanks gents.

pd the Volvo dealer has already suggested the old V60 and will call me if a suitable one comes in.

SLO, thanks for these suggestions. Only the Leon is really handy location-wise as I am near Swindon. The dealer is part of the same groups as yesterday's good Honda dealer. I am not sure about the sports suspension and tyres on our terrible roads and I am also leaning towards the higher powered version of the 1.4. The Golf I drove yesterday in the 125bhp tune felt slow and less tractable than the Civic which went against my expectations. Maybe I just need to adapt my style but I want to try the 150bhp in some VAG guise a test drive. There are a few options including an A4 as you suggest.

Mazda 6's are a back burner possibility if I can find an approved one.

I will rule out the 200bhp Insignia. I want good performance on occasions but not as a constant temptation.

A development! I pick up my new car on Tuesday.

The VAG salesman rang me with an updated offer and the deal is done on the £15.4k, 13k miles, Golf estate from my initial post. The cost of change is down to £11.2k. This compares to their initial offer of £12k and where we left negotiations on Wednesday at £11.6k.

Despite the headline improvement of £800 from their first offer, I realise I'm only a hundred quid or so up compared to their forecourt price less WBAC £4.1K. However that was subject to inspection and potential markdown. A bird in the hand etc.

Also to sweeten the deal I've avoided two immediate costs. The new car had a VAG oil service earlier this month (to take it off variable servicing) and they will pay the road tax.

Thanks for all the comments over the last couple of days.

A piece of cake this car buying lark isn't it?

Any - New car, how hard can it be? - Avant

Good luck wth it, Catsdad. The 1.4 125 bhp engine was lively enough in SWMBO's previous Audi A1, and a Golf estate is only a little heavier, so you should fond it OK.

The A1 was livelier than her current A3 convertible with the 1.5 TFSI engine: I think they have lengthened the gear ratios because of VAG's neurosis about the WLTP testing.

Any - New car, how hard can it be? - Senexdriver

I had the VAG 1.4 tfsi 125 hp in an A3 Sportback. Cracking little engine and gave not so much as a hint of trouble over 24,000 miles from new. Longest drive I did in it was from Hampshire to Northumberland one summer on holiday. 308 miles if I remember correctly and the engine took it in its stride. I’m sure you’ll be fine with the new car, good luck and happy motoring!

Any - New car, how hard can it be? - edlithgow

I don't much like shopping for cars, so i don't do it unless I have to.

You don't seem to be having that much fun either, and it doesn't sound as if you have to.

Sounds like a nice car, I like the Golf and the 1.4 TSi motor is well liked.