What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Montego - a rarity now - for sale - SLO76
Never liked the Renault 17 but that Montego is something I’ve fond memories of. I flogged loads of them in the 90’s and rust aside had not one bit of bother.

They were much better cars than their reputation suggested, all drove well and they were actually pretty well made once you got past the 1987 facelift. Shame they didn’t rust treat the things properly.

Montego - a rarity now - for sale - corax
Never liked the Renault 17 but that Montego is something I’ve fond memories of. I flogged loads of them in the 90’s and rust aside had not one bit of bother. They were much better cars than their reputation suggested, all drove well and they were actually pretty well made once you got past the 1987 facelift. Shame they didn’t rust treat the things properly.

My Montego Turbo was a favourite of the cars that I've owned. It was huge fun, and very comfortable. The O series engine was strong and it massive mid range torque, still pulling well at higher speeds. Took a while to spool up but elastic band like acceleration once on song. One thing that BL did well was cabin design. Very spacious, good driving position and airy with those big upright windows.

Seem to remember they had weak front wheel bearings, undersized for the size of car, and the earlier models had bad torque steer, but they modified the later ones and mine was fine.

At the time I wished they had made a turbo version of the estate.

The only Montego you could call slow was the base model 1.3 and it was a rare sight. Even the 1.6 and the diesel had a fair turn of speed.
Montego - a rarity now - for sale - RJ414i

My parents had a 2L Si spec from new that was pretty nippy.

Montego - a rarity now - for sale - craig-pd130

For those who are on Twitter, I can recommend https://twitter.com/ChodSpot which celebrates the mundane and almost-forgotten cars of the 70s, 80s and 90s spotted on the roads around Britain (and elsewhere).

Highlights over the past 24 hours include a Nissan Stanza, a Granada Scorpio and a magnificent Citroen CX25 Pallas with the louvre panel on the tailgate.

Mucho fondness for the Granada Scorpio. I mind trying to persuade my dad to buy a used one with caramel leather seats at our local Ford dealer but he bought a new 1989 G Volvo 240 GLT instead which my mother hated and thus it was part exchanged for a 1990 G 440 Turbo within 6mths.

Edited by SLO76 on 14/10/2019 at 13:20

My father-in-law had one, it seemed absolutely colossal at the time. I passed one the other day and it seemed quite compact compared to, say, a modern Mondeo.

Montego - a rarity now - for sale - badbusdriver

My father-in-law had one, it seemed absolutely colossal at the time. I passed one the other day and it seemed quite compact compared to, say, a modern Mondeo.

The Montego is 4468mm long and 1709mm wide (excluding mirrors). A current Mondeo (hatchback) is 4871mm long and 1852mm wide. In old money, the Montego is almost 16" shorter and just over 5.5" narrower.

Montego - a rarity now - for sale - groaver

https://angliacarauctions.co.uk/classic/saturday-2nd-november-2019/1995-mercedes-e300-d-estate-auto/

I much prefer this one.

Montego - a rarity now - for sale - Glaikit Wee Scunner {P}

I holidayed in Brittany in a brand new rental 1980s MG Montego. Rather nice and fast iirc.

Our intended transport, a 1936 Alvis Silver Eagle saloon, had main bearing failure en route to Portsmouth. Thanks goodness that we had insurance.

Edited by Glaikit Wee Scunner {P} on 14/10/2019 at 21:08

Montego - a rarity now - for sale - badbusdriver

I holidayed in Brittany in a brand new rental 1980s MG Montego. Rather nice and fast iirc.

Our intended transport, a 1936 Alvis Silver Eagle saloon, had main bearing failure en route to Portsmouth. Thanks goodness that we had insurance.

www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C1139020

Many years ago I has a test drive in an MG Maestro 2.0 EFi and came away very impressed. I ended up buying a Golf instead.

When motoring journo Chris Goffey tested the MG Maestro on a track at its launch, he got a corner wrong and managed to roll the car onto its roof. He said that as he was trying to disentangle himself from the seatbelt, with wisps of steam gently curling out of the bonnet, the car's synthesised voice said: "Warning! Low oil pressure."

Montego - a rarity now - for sale - concrete

Montego; what memories. I had a company one for two years. Mainly petrol back then in 1986 and the company had a 'But British' policy. Restricted choice somewhat but the cars were low BIK back then so virtually free. I had a 2.0 Mayfair in a deep metallic blue, which was very comfortable and spacious. Apart from one faulty thermostat switch I had no trouble at all for 58K miles. Happy days. Concrete

Montego - a rarity now - for sale - madf

I had an early Montego as a company car:

It developed a misfire: water dripped down teh HT lead and into the ECU.. :onger lead fitted under warrnty.

Winscreen wipers seized over Thelwall Viaduct - outer lane in torrential rain...Brown trousers time.. Warranty fix.

Plastic peeled off wheel trims..

It went well but the quality was pants..

As with all BL products quality was terrible to start with as they rushed an untested motor to market. The post 87 facelift Montego was a very robust car just rust protection let it down.
Montego - a rarity now - for sale - Bilboman

It was a testament to truly dreadful design that an otherwise slick VW gearbox dropped into a Montego ended up as spongy and stubborn as the one I remember on a family Maxi a decade earlier. It seemed to be an Austin curse - the Marina and the big Rovers were blessed with manual Triumph units.
The dashboard on mine developed a nasty split and squeaked and rattled from day one. I spent a fortune on indicators when one split and another one fell out right before the MoT. A third one was actually stolen in a cinema car park, presumably to help another Montego driver get his beast through the MoT!
But the coin tray and the remote boot release were useful. Best overall feature was probably the backlit column stalks - a rarity even today.