Ford S-MAX petrol - Ford 1.6 ecoboost turbo gone 29000 miles - Danny C
Hi all

Turbo blown on way home from France. Car is 2011 and low milage. Been a recall
Where ford want to add a coolant sensor among other things. Chances of getting them to
Pay for the turbo!?!
Ford S-MAX petrol - Ford 1.6 ecoboost turbo gone 29000 miles - Falkirk Bairn

8 year old car - the legal limit is 6 years.

I wouldn't think you have much of a chance

Ok, just thought as there was a known fault with the engine that might help my case.
Someone I know in the motor trade thinks I might be able to claim on my motor insurance but I’m not so sure. Anyone any experience of doing this? I’m with. Aviva
Ford S-MAX petrol - Ford 1.6 ecoboost turbo gone 29000 miles - gordonbennet

Whoever you'd want to claim from, even if you had a current inclusive warranty, would be examining the engine and the turbo and its piping would be dismantled for close inspection...plus the service history would be checked closely, before any warranty goodwill forthcoming.

This would include full engine oil analysis if there were any suspicions of low/wrong/contaminated oil.

They'd want to know why it failed, and only then would a decision be made on whether warranty would be applicable, if you the owner/driver were at fault then obviously no warranty would apply.

I'm not sure how much info the car's computer would hold on a car like this, in lorry world it's quite shocking just how much information the vehicle not only holds, but on mine it sends live feed back to the maker who in turn sends all relevant driving issues to the operator (my boss), how far cars are down this monitoring road i wouldn't know, but if it isn't already in place i have no doubt it's coming shortly.

Ford S-MAX petrol - Ford 1.6 ecoboost turbo gone 29000 miles - Gibbo_Wirral

Low mileage may be the issue here. Lots of short runs doesn't do an engine any good.

Ford S-MAX petrol - Ford 1.6 ecoboost turbo gone 29000 miles - galileo
Ok, just thought as there was a known fault with the engine that might help my case. Someone I know in the motor trade thinks I might be able to claim on my motor insurance but I’m not so sure. Anyone any experience of doing this? I’m with. Aviva

Car insurance is to cover fire, theft and damage from accidents.

Claiming for mechanical failures from your insurer will provoke helpless laughter in their office, though their response to you may be more diplomatic.

So I phoned them up no laughter on phone, but no go on claiming on insurance...

My mate is adamant that people can claim for turbos if you are determined to fight your corner.....

Anyway have any of you heard about ongoing issues with Ecoboost engines, here is a

letter to Parliament from Fords CEO....

https://www.parliament.uk/documents/commons-committees/transport/Andy%20Barratt-Ford%20Ecoboost-131110_Redacted.pdf