Suzuki Grand Vitara 2.0 2009 petrol - Coolant change - thoughts - mss1tw

Looking at changing the coolant on my car, and it seems to be a bit of a minefield! The existing stuff is yellow and 'looks' healthy.

The service manual states:

"The cooling system has been filled with a quality coolant that is a 50/50 mixture of water and ethylene glycol antifreeze." - isn't this normally blue or green?

However if this stuff is not original, it could have been changed for an updated type (OAT?)

Suzuki offer two types of coolant - long life and super long life, which isn't terribly helpful in knowing what to use. Happy to buy OEM stuff, but which one?!

Suzuki Grand Vitara 2.0 2009 petrol - Coolant change - thoughts - elekie&a/c doctor
Call me old fashioned, but I’m a great believer in if it ain’t broke don’t fix it. Buy yourself an antifreeze tester and check the strength/freeze level. Recently bought some GM dexcool at a good price and have used it all my cars , and I don’t own a Vauxhall. I think the colour is put in for effect . (Waiting to be struck down now)
Suzuki Grand Vitara 2.0 2009 petrol - Coolant change - thoughts - focussed

Not striking you down in any way here. The main reason apart from freeze protection to change anti-freeze is that the anti-corrosion additives gradually dissipate over time, so can leave parts of the cooling system liable to accelerated corrosion. That's why it's a good idea to buy neat anti-freeze and mix your own 50% coolant, this gives better corrosion protection on components like EGR and oil coolers etc.

Suzuki Grand Vitara 2.0 2009 petrol - Coolant change - thoughts - mss1tw

Not striking you down in any way here. The main reason apart from freeze protection to change anti-freeze is that the anti-corrosion additives gradually dissipate over time, so can leave parts of the cooling system liable to accelerated corrosion. That's why it's a good idea to buy neat anti-freeze and mix your own 50% coolant, this gives better corrosion protection on components like EGR and oil coolers etc.

Yes, I'd read about that here so that's exactly why I wanted to put some fresh stuff in

Suzuki Grand Vitara 2.0 2009 petrol - Coolant change - thoughts - John F

...... the anti-corrosion additives gradually dissipate over time, so can leave parts of the cooling system liable to accelerated corrosion.

Yes, I'd read about that here so that's exactly why I wanted to put some fresh stuff in.

Don't believe all you read on here. Just think about it - how exactly do these chemicals 'dissipate' in a sealed system? This is a classic example of cod science used by mechanics who might not even have a basic chemistry GCSE to their name to con unsuspecting punters like you to do unnecessary work. Our Focus is nine years older than your Suzuki and its original coolant is just fine. Corrosion cannot take place without oxygen, which once used up cannot be replaced - unless you foolishly change the coolant thus replacing the oxygen-depleted water with a fresh supply. There are some on here who don't even know the difference between the unavailable oxygen in the H2O molecule and the O2 contained in the water!

Suzuki Grand Vitara 2.0 2009 petrol - Coolant change - thoughts - Bolt

...... the anti-corrosion additives gradually dissipate over time, so can leave parts of the cooling system liable to accelerated corrosion.

Yes, I'd read about that here so that's exactly why I wanted to put some fresh stuff in.

Don't believe all you read on here. Just think about it - how exactly do these chemicals 'dissipate' in a sealed system? This is a classic example of cod science used by mechanics who might not even have a basic chemistry GCSE to their name to con unsuspecting punters like you to do unnecessary work. Our Focus is nine years older than your Suzuki and its original coolant is just fine. Corrosion cannot take place without oxygen, which once used up cannot be replaced - unless you foolishly change the coolant thus replacing the oxygen-depleted water with a fresh supply. There are some on here who don't even know the difference between the unavailable oxygen in the H2O molecule and the O2 contained in the water!

It has an expansion tank which allows air in so is open to air, so the water going through it must oxygenate making it open to corrosion, the system cannot be totally sealed due to expansion and contraction which varies according to temp

It has an expansion tank which allows air in so is open to air, so the water going through it must oxygenate........

Nonsense. It's not 'open to air'. The modern expansion tank has a pressure cap which only allows steam out in the unlikely event of the coolant boiling. It does not allow air in.

Suzuki Grand Vitara 2.0 2009 petrol - Coolant change - thoughts - Bolt

It has an expansion tank which allows air in so is open to air, so the water going through it must oxygenate........

Nonsense. It's not 'open to air'. The modern expansion tank has a pressure cap which only allows steam out in the unlikely event of the coolant boiling. It does not allow air in.

So how does it allow for contraction?, it would create a vacuum in the expansion tank if that were the case, if you check how the expansion cap works, the air pressure inside the expansion tank is allowed to pass the seal to air, then, as it contracts allows air back in

the amount of air is not much, but over time is enough to warrant changing the coolant, plus, unless some don't do it, if you check your levels by taking the cap off you automatically let air in the tank which your supposed to check every week(I know, most don't and you can see through the tank) but a lot of people do

You are forgetting that most modern pressure caps on expansion tanks have two valves.

The main pressure valve is the pressure relieving valve set to the pressure value of the cap.

The second small valve is a one way valve that seals pressure in but opens to let air in when the coolant cools down and there is a slight vacuum in the tank.

Suzuki Grand Vitara 2.0 2009 petrol - Coolant change - thoughts - Andrew-T

These remarks about pressure, expansion and contraction, while valid, are a red herring. The main chemical point is that the common antifreeze component will be ethylene glycol, a fairly simple carbohydrate molecule made of C, H and O. When the engine gets up to working temperature this stuff will be at around 100°C in a solution of variable pH, depending on whether it was diluted with deionised water (or not) and probably with some traces of inorganics from the metal, rubber or plastic circuit. Ethylene glycol is fairly stable but it doesn't last indefinitely.

So (depending on the use of the car) changing it every 2 or 3 years may be worth while in the long run.

You are forgetting that most modern pressure caps on expansion tanks have two valves.

The main pressure valve is the pressure relieving valve set to the pressure value of the cap.

The second small valve is a one way valve that seals pressure in but opens to let air in when the coolant cools down and there is a slight vacuum in the tank.

Suzuki Grand Vitara 2.0 2009 petrol - Coolant change - thoughts - gordonbennet

Whilst i don't profess to having serious qualifications in such things as some here no doubt have, i got no further in Physics than an O level B pass, i don't get the urge to not change something like coolant after say 5 years, it's coolant it isn't some precious fluid that's going to cost half a months wages and required some child with no other options in a third world hell hole being paid tuppence a day to retrieve it from the pit, have some perspective.

If the maker of typically good quality coolant state 5 years, and it costs me what? 3 litres of a £15 for a 5 litre tub of Comma 5 year concentrate via Amazon, using good old common sense am i really going to put at risk the whole heating and cooling system plus the insides of my engine for the sake of a tenners worth of coolant and an hour or so flushing then mixing refilling and bleeding air out.

I could understand people trying to get the last knockings out of fluids if they have to rely on a main dealer who's likely to bend them over the desk with ridculous mark ups, but for those us capable and willing to undertake such jobs, why on earth wouldn't you.

Suzuki Grand Vitara 2.0 2009 petrol - Coolant change - thoughts - paul 1963

I can only agree with you GB, The only thing I would add is The op may like to get Suzuki to do it, they operate a fixed price scheme and in my experience it's very good value for money.

I could understand people trying to get the last knockings out of fluids if they have to rely on a main dealer who's likely to bend them over the desk with ridculous mark ups, but for those us capable and willing to undertake such jobs, why on earth wouldn't you.

Several reasons. One, it's unnecessary. Two, running the risk of inadvertently damaging something, e.g. by creating an air lock risking overheating, or breaking a component. Three, wasting your money. Four, wasting your time - although this could be a positive reason for doing it if one enjoys tinkering (as I do). Five, risk of personal injury - skinned fingers etc. Six, polluting the earth with toxic chemicals. Seven, curiosity as to how long original systems will last before needing repair or replacement. Eight, introducing a fresh supply of corrosive oxygen. Nine, the hassle of taking the car to a garage and being without it if you have to employ someone to do it for you.

Suzuki Grand Vitara 2.0 2009 petrol - Coolant change - thoughts - gordonbennet

Several reasons. One, it's unnecessary. Two, running the risk of inadvertently damaging something, e.g. by creating an air lock risking overheating, or breaking a component. Three, wasting your money. Four, wasting your time - although this could be a positive reason for doing it if one enjoys tinkering (as I do). Five, risk of personal injury - skinned fingers etc. Six, polluting the earth with toxic chemicals. Seven, curiosity as to how long original systems will last before needing repair or replacement. Eight, introducing a fresh supply of corrosive oxygen. Nine, the hassle of taking the car to a garage and being without it if you have to employ someone to do it for you.

1, disagree, purely a matter of opinion as to how you view fluids and how they might break down. 2, i wouldn't expect someone incapable of using a screwdriver or clueless about releasing an airlock to do this job anyway. 3, disagree, it's £10 worth of new coolant versus the cost of heating/cooling system and the insides of you engine itself. 4, disagree, again it's down to opinion whether its worth it or not. 5, i wouldn't expect snowflakes or millenials to risk their pinkies, this is a job for someone who doesn't faint if they break a nail. 6, yes you have a point there, and the recycling centres could provide some sort of process for these products. 7, i'm not experimenting with an engine in the region of £7k, and replacing a heater matrix on some cars, notably VW group can be result in half the interior having to come out, even VW group radiators swaps can involve removing the front of the car. 8, irrelevant IMHO. 9, what hassle, no special trip needed, the obvious time is at a service or even better when the cambelt (which on many cars requires water pump renewal) needs replacing.

We differ completely in outlooks about these things John, what has worked for you would not work for me.

We differ completely in outlooks about these things John, what has worked for you would not work for me.

I am delighted to disagree amicably - although not completely. I share your concern about attending to the heater matrix and its connections; removal of much of the dashboard also applies to my 1980 TR7. However, in nearly forty years I have yet to need to do so - perhaps supporting my assertions on how to avoid corrosion and the importance of the mantra 'if it works, don't mend it'. The CHG has also never needed attention.

In theory perhaps, but in practice this will hardly ever happen as when the coolant cools down the positive pressure will merely revert to around equilibrium with the outside world. In the normal course of driving events there will be insufficient pressure change to allow any gas flow at all across the cap - in either direction.

Suzuki Grand Vitara 2.0 2009 petrol - Coolant change - thoughts - edlithgow

My understanding is it allows coolant both in and out. Thats why they call it an expansion tank.

It'd only allow air in if the expansion tank was empty, but the coolant sucked back would be oxygenated.

Anyway, if you were correct, and free atmospheric oxygen were necessary for corrosion, the rust I observe in my coolant would not exist.

Which would be nice.

I know nothing about the coolant Suzuki recommend for their vehicles, and equally I know nothing about Peugeot's. I do know that Peugeot (and probably other makers) seem to have solved the problem of coolant degradation, and the maintenance schedule does not mention changing.

My 2008 Pug 207SW diesel is still running with (most of) its original coolant, which is still clear blue. Last year it had a cambelt and water-pump change, and the old coolant was put back in, with a top-up to replace losses during the change. I don't see why Suzuki cannot do likewise.

Coolant is intended to change colour when renewal is necessary. If it begins to look rusty it is time to do something (if your engine has a cast-iron block). Otherwise don't bother.

Suzuki Grand Vitara 2.0 2009 petrol - Coolant change - thoughts - Gibbo_Wirral

I do know that Peugeot (and probably other makers) seem to have solved the problem of coolant degradation, and the maintenance schedule does not mention changing.

But Peugeot have been known to change their maintenance schedules after feedback from real world motoring experiences.

They were the first and only manufacturer to claim that the oil in the 1.6 diesel engine needed to be changed every 20,000 miles, when others were specifying much more frequent intervals.

Once reports came in of the engine eating turbos because the oil feed pipe got blocked with tired old oil and massive build ups of crud in the engine, they soon changed that.

Its also worth noting that Peugeot class the "life" of their cars to be 100,000 miles or ten years.

The fuel filter in the fuel tank pump in the 306 was supposed to last the "life" of the car, but many 306s lived beyond ten years (mine was going on for 20) and the pump needed maintenance.

I do know that Peugeot (and probably other makers) seem to have solved the problem of coolant degradation, and the maintenance schedule does not mention changing.

But Peugeot have been known to change their maintenance schedules after feedback from real world motoring experiences. It's also worth noting that Peugeot class the "life" of their cars to be 100,000 miles or ten years.

The fuel filter in the fuel tank pump in the 306 was supposed to last the "life" of the car, but many 306s lived beyond ten years (mine was going on for 20) and the pump needed maintenance.

Yes, Gibbo, when Peugeot first put the TU engines in the 205 no-one seemed to know how long a cambelt would last. The beta-testing suggested that was about 50K miles. Sadly for my daughter, the Pug dealer who serviced her car at 48K did not advise a belt change, and it failed soon afterwards.

My (new to me) 306 is just 25 years old, with 75K on the clock. I shall keep an eye on the fuel pump filter ....