What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
What cars use cam-chains instead of cambelts? - Chris S

Does anybody know which cars use cam-chains instead of cambelts? I know the Nissan Micra does.

What cars use cam-chains instead of cambelts? - madf

Yaris and Jazz.

What cars use cam-chains instead of cambelts? - barney100

Mercedes 2.2 diesel does and I think many more Merc engines do.

What cars use cam-chains instead of cambelts? - RichT54

I don't know how up-to-date it is, but here is a list on this site:

https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/faq/chain-cam/

What cars use cam-chains instead of cambelts? - gordonbennet

Listing all the different engines available would be heavy going, you'd get an easier response if you said which class of car you are looking at and which fuel option.

Choice of which i'm in two minds about chains and belts, chains can be longer lived but much more involved work if a new one is needed, in some cases eg some BMW Diesels the chain is at the rear of the engine, in Victor Meldrew's words what in the name of sanity was the point of that?

Poor servicing and allowing the oil level to drop too low will shorten the life of the chain considerably, and unless it lets you know it's failing by rattling you won't have a clue to its condition.

Cambelts need changing of course, but they can usually be inspected by removing the cover and rotating the engine by hand, on some engines it takes one hour to change the belt (even DIY) where the belt only drives the camshafts and nothing else, sone belt designs are very poor requiring massive dismantling especially where the water pump is timing belt driven.

Some engines require chains to be changed at certain mileages, this applied to some MB's fitted with Mitsi engines having only a single link chain, not a cheap job.

What cars use cam-chains instead of cambelts? - SLO76
Too many cars and vans to list but one thing I’d typically do is I’d avoid any European designed car with a chain, for some reason Europe just can’t get it right especially on smaller engines.
What cars use cam-chains instead of cambelts? - John F

If you are thinking about reliability and longevity, the most important things are the design of the cam timing set-up and the quality of its components rather than whether it is 'chain or belt' - or a combination of both as in the old Audi A6 2.8. When choosing an engine, do your homework and see which are the most reliable. Of course, if you are an early adopter of new cars with new engines this is not possible.

Some cambelt engines have a reputation for unreliability while some are nearly bomb proof. The same applies to camchain engines.

What cars use cam-chains instead of cambelts? - Engineer Andy

If you are thinking about reliability and longevity, the most important things are the design of the cam timing set-up and the quality of its components rather than whether it is 'chain or belt' - or a combination of both as in the old Audi A6 2.8. When choosing an engine, do your homework and see which are the most reliable. Of course, if you are an early adopter of new cars with new engines this is not possible.

Some cambelt engines have a reputation for unreliability while some are nearly bomb proof. The same applies to camchain engines.

And it depends upon how well they are maintained.

What cars use cam-chains instead of cambelts? - V4 Heaven

Lexus CT200h is cam chain.