What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Ford Focus - Electrics: Driver's Window & Cigar Lighter - Clueless Dipstick

Hi.

My old (2002) Focus has developed an electrical problem: the driver's side window won't lower (it's in the fully raised position, so I can't tell whether or not it will raise, either), and the cigar lighter doesn't work. I've done a continuity test on the all the fuses (main and auxiliary) but found none blown.

I'd assumed that it was simply that the motor which raises the driver's side window had gone and needed replacing, until I spotted that the cigar lighter didn't work, either.

Anyone ever had anything similar (or have any ideas about how to tackle it)?

Thanks,

C.D.

Ford Focus - Electrics: Driver's Window & Cigar Lighter - elekie&a/c doctor
The cigar lighter and power windows are on different circuits with separate fuses. If the passenger window works , then the fuse for the driver window is ok. I would recheck the lighter fuse located behind the glove box . The driver door card needs to be removed for further tests.

Edited by elekie&a/c doctor on 28/08/2019 at 17:17

Ford Focus - Electrics: Driver's Window & Cigar Lighter - Clueless Dipstick

Thanks for the reply: I'll check the fuse again (I didn't remove it --- I simply put a multimeter across the exposed terminals at the top and ran a continuity test, so I'll try pulling it out). And if I can get the door card off, then I'll have a look at the motor that raises/lowers the window. I'm not knowledgeable about cars (as you may surmise!) but if I can fix something myself, then I'd like to do so. ...Although maybe this is a job for a professional.

The funny thing is that these problems started after I had a flat battery and trickle charged it. The battery seems to work (the ignition starts, etc.) but I think I probably need a new one...