What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
BMW 3 Series Touring - My 11 year old diesel 3 series touring - Sparrow

I have a 2Litre (320D) E91, 2008 reg. It's an SE with extra bits (Business edition, 17inch alloys, leather and better audio). It has just reached 100K miles, but still goes well. I have had it since new, so know all that has happened to it -not much actually. It was my company car originally then I bought it at 3 year old. I think I have been lucky. as the only mechanical parts it has needed while I owned it was rear tailgate struts, a leakoff pipe and a shock absorber, plus one battery and tyres and servicing.

Do I keep it or replace, and if so what with? I do 8-10k miles a year now, like the way it drives. I have driven both the F30 and new G model 3 series (a saloon, estate not out yet). Nether drive as nicely as my E90, but the 2019 model is not bad, but oh dear, so expensive.

I've come to the conclusion that however nice, a brand new car is a bit silly at my mileage, so maybe a nice used car. BMWs are nice but the newer 3 series are even bigger than my E91, which is big enough, and nowhere near as nice to drive. I want something reliable, and Hondas and Toyotas are often recommended as good used buys. Any suggestions for one that drives nicely too? Alternatively, should I just keep the current E91 and risk something expensive, which sooner or later is likely to write off the car. It's only worth 1.5-2K in part ex, and maybe £3.5K as a private sale.

Any thoughts appreciated.

BMW 3 Series Touring - My 11 year old diesel 3 series touring - gordonbennet

If its been looked after well, hasn't shown any signs of impending doom, and you keep up the maintenance to give it a chance, then my gut feeling would be to keep it until it starts making peculiar expensive sounding noises.

Your model is a nice size, i agree that cars are now getting too big without any appreciable improvement in interior space (my 120 series Landcruiser takes up less space in the car park than many modern cars offering nothing like the interior space or comfort), and your car is now nearing the bottom of its depreciation curve so arguably at its most cost effective time, every year your car might lose £500 at the most, buying newer will see that figure multiplied many fold.

The biggie though, you know everything about your present car, how it was driven, how its been cared for.

Edited by gordonbennet on 19/08/2019 at 14:37

BMW 3 Series Touring - My 11 year old diesel 3 series touring - Eyan1
I would keep it , it will probably need some minor maintenance but the cost will be minimal. I think in 3 years there will be a better infrastructure for electric cars and that would be a good time to see what the major manufacturers do once they get a chance to get their teeth into the electric car. Once that happens no one will want ICE.
BMW 3 Series Touring - My 11 year old diesel 3 series touring - barney100

Same position with my '08 Volvo V70 with 128k. does the job and I'm hanging on 'til something expensive does for it. Needs a cam belt soon and could do another128k if I'm lucky.

BMW 3 Series Touring - My 11 year old diesel 3 series touring - badbusdriver

Given the car's value, the fact that you have owned it since new and have had no serious faults with the car, i'd just keep it. Yes, you could change it for something Japanese or Korean, with a petrol engine, but it is unlikely to drive as well. And as that seems to be a factor, unless you are getting fed up with the car and just want a change, it would seem unwise to get rid of it.

BMW 3 Series Touring - My 11 year old diesel 3 series touring - Alby Back
I'd agree with BBD. It's almost always a better decision to keep, maintain, and if necessary, repair, a car you like, rather than spend more money swapping it out for a younger one you may not.

Bit like wives really. ;-)
BMW 3 Series Touring - My 11 year old diesel 3 series touring - daveyjp
A colleague has similar vehicle.

A couple of years ago a DPF sensor failed but there was no warning until the DPF also failed.

He had a four figures bill (even on mates rates) but the rest of the car was fine so he paid it and car has now done another 40,000 miles or so.

BMW 3 Series Touring - My 11 year old diesel 3 series touring - Ian D
Does your one have a DPF? I suspect yes but the way to tell is does the exhaust tailpipe point out
the back of the car horizontally (DPF) or do the last six inches of the pipe angle down towards the road (no DPF)? Just another factor/expense to consider but even if it has a DPF as you know it I would keep it.
Does your one have a DPF? I suspect yes but the way to tell is does the exhaust tailpipe point out the back of the car horizontally (DPF) or do the last six inches of the pipe angle down towards the road (no DPF)? Just another factor/expense to consider but even if it has a DPF as you know it I would keep it.

Yes, it does have a DPF. I can smell it regenerating sometimes. It also has zero smoke on its MOT test results as well as the straight tailpipe. The car was only sold as Euro 4 compliant, which was all that was required by law at the time (June 2008) but I think it may have been built to comply with Euro 5 as the rules changed soon afterwards.

Thankyou to everyone for your help. As I am still not bored with this car, and the seats are still comfortable on long journeys, I will keep it. Of course that will get reviewed every year come MOT time and any other work that needs doing. An expensive repair would write it off, but until and unless, I'll keep driving it. I might even treat it to a set of winter tyres on steel rims come winter, that might solve the problem of not being able to get it out of the drive when it snows.

BMW 3 Series Touring - My 11 year old diesel 3 series touring - sammy1

I might even treat it to a set of winter tyres on steel rims come winter, that might solve the problem of not being able to get it out of the drive when it snows.

That's it then? I always find that if I treat myself to new tyres I am committed to keeping it!