What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Suzuki Grand Vitara 5dr 2.0 - Suzuki engines - mss1tw

I treated myself to a 'new' (2009, 1 owner, FSH, immaculate) Grand Vitara to replace a troublesome Honda. Very happy with it.

I just wanted to confirm that the engines in these are a little gruff compared to the pretty silky iVTEC unit in the old Honda. I've done some digging and the J20A engine does not have VVT (Don't mind, less to go wrong, and it suits the vehicle) but all the tech specs in the world don't tell you an engines characteristics!

Suzuki Grand Vitara 5dr 2.0 - Suzuki engines - badbusdriver

Not sure there would be any benefits to finding this out now, after you've bought it!. Just work on the assumption that Suzuki's, in general (diesel engines aside), are very reliable.

Then again, same can be said for Honda(!)

True! I'm not overly worried. It has full dealer service history and just feels like a good un. It was more of a petrol head geeky question than an " is it about to explode"!

Suzuki Grand Vitara 5dr 2.0 - Suzuki engines - Engineer Andy

Just be aware that this car generally isn't exactly renowned for the fuel efficiency of its engines, especially as (according to the HJ review page data) your appears to be a 4x4 auto. I liked the 3dr version, then baulked at the woefully low mpg they returned.

Mines a manual, dread to think what the auto does. About 26mpg from mine which I'm happy with as fuel is a business expense anyway!

Suzuki Grand Vitara 5dr 2.0 - Suzuki engines - Engineer Andy

Mines a manual, dread to think what the auto does. About 26mpg from mine which I'm happy with as fuel is a business expense anyway!

Weird - the HJ page says that engine was only available in auto form. It might need to be corrected.

Weird - the HJ page says that engine was only available in auto form. It might need to be corrected.

A fairly niche purchase these days, so i'm not sure i'd worry too much about it!. Also, on the model history page of the review, it states that the 2.0 petrol was available as a 5 speed manual or 4 speed auto.

Suzuki Grand Vitara 5dr 2.0 - Suzuki engines - SteveLee

The J20A is pretty unburstable - just don't stretch oil changes - change the oil every year or between services if you're a high mileage driver - the same advice I'd give to anyone particularly with a chain-driven valvetrain.

The J20A is pretty unburstable - just don't stretch oil changes - change the oil every year or between services if you're a high mileage driver - the same advice I'd give to anyone particularly with a chain-driven valvetrain.

Totally agree, have always done oil and filters myself at sensible intervals

Suzuki Grand Vitara 5dr 2.0 - Suzuki engines - daveyK_UK
Is the 2.4 Suzuki petrol as thirsty and as gruff as the 2.0?
Is the 2.4 Suzuki petrol as thirsty and as gruff as the 2.0?

I believe it's no more thirsty than the 2.0, and based on a drive of one I would say gruffer. Very shakey in 2nd gear at low revs. Could be due to the AWD transmission I suppose, I only had a part time soft roader to compare to. Despite the balance shafts, after looking into it 2.4L is the 'maximum' size of an inline 4.

Suzuki Grand Vitara 5dr 2.0 - Suzuki engines - SLO76
“. Despite the balance shafts, after looking into it 2.4L is the 'maximum' size of an inline 4.”

It’s not. Porsche for example used to fit a 3.0 4 pot in the 968. Fewer but larger cylinders means more low speed pull but at the sacrifice of high speed refinement. The smaller E200 buses we run in town use a 4cyl Cummins diesel that’ll be a fair capacity too, I’ll try to find out how big.

Edit: It’s 4.5 litre also used in the new Route Master apparently.

Edited by SLO76 on 31/08/2019 at 21:19

Cheers - goes to show you can't believe everything you read online!

“. Despite the balance shafts, after looking into it 2.4L is the 'maximum' size of an inline 4.”

It’s not. Porsche for example used to fit a 3.0 4 pot in the 968. Fewer but larger cylinders means more low speed pull but at the sacrifice of high speed refinement. The smaller E200 buses we run in town use a 4cyl Cummins diesel that’ll be a fair capacity too, I’ll try to find out how big.

Edit: It’s 4.5 litre also used in the new Route Master apparently.

As far as i am aware, the largest in-line 4cyl petrol engine fitted to a production car was the 1961-1963 Pontiac Tempest, which was a 3.2 litre (195 cubic inch). This was simply one bank of the 389 cubic inch V8 and was done because it could be assembled on the same line. It was not a great engine, hence the short life span (replaced by a 6 cyl), being quite rough even when running properly, but particularly rough when 'out of tune'!.

Including diesel, for 'cars' (if we include 4x4's), the prize would probably go to Mitsubishi, which (still) uses a 3.2 litre in the Shogun/Pajero.

Going back to petrol, there is also the 2.7 litre 4 cyl used in various Toyota models. Not that common here where we preferred the diesel engines, but loads sold world-wide (and no doubt most still providing reliable service!)

But the largest production inline 4 (used in a road vehicle), i believe, is the Detroit Diesel Series 50, which uses an 8.5 litre making up to 350 bhp. I don't think you get them in this country, but a popular powerplant for trucks and buses in USA and Australia.

Excluding the 'production' part, (i think) the biggest inline 4 ever used on the road would probably have been the 1910 Fiat S76 built to take the land speed record of the time. Often referred to as 'The Beast of Turin', this used a 28,353cc(!) in-line 4 aero engine. Brought back to life and currently owned by Brit Duncan Pittaway, this fantastic machine is regularly used on the road and demonstrated at various venues such as Goodwood. Look it up on YouTube if you are interested, it is an amazing thing to see running, especially the frankly terrifying looking start up!.

What an awesome machine!

Suzuki Grand Vitara 5dr 2.0 - Suzuki engines - FP

The Beast of Turin - it's strange that such an ugly, noisy and ungainly machine should inspire such wonder and amazement. What an incredible machine!