What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Citroen C1 - private seller vs franchise: milliage + cost - kmgc

I'm looking at second hand cars in the price range of £1000-2000 and it looks like I will have to choose to either have a high mileage or older car. Most of the cars I'm looking at are toyota aygo, citroen c1 or peugeot 107's (UK). What would be best between:

- 2009 car 95,000 mileage £1250 (private)
- 2006 car 61,000 mileage £1700 (franchise)
- 2010 car <!--td {border: 1px solid #ccc;}br {mso-data-placement:same-cell;}-->77053 mileage £2000 (franchise) dg10mme
<!--td {border: 1px solid #ccc;}br {mso-data-placement:same-cell;}-->- 2009 car 45,000 mileage £1995 (franchise) yc59fsj

- 2010 car 77053 mileage £2000 (franchise) YY10CXOD

Both have a similar MOT history, failing some years but due to easy to fix faults. On auto trader the highest mileage on these sorts of cars are around 130,000 so I'm thinking it better to choose the lower mileage one but want some advice. Will I be saving money in the long run still choosing a cheaper car.

Citroen C1 - private seller vs franchise: milliage + cost - Bromptonaut

First of all, most people rate the Aygo, C1 and 107/8 as good little cars. Tardis like capacity and go cart handling. Spiritual successor to the issigonis Mini. Both my kids have 107, one 2007 the other 2009. The 2007 one was bought new for son in law by his parents and is their second car. Son's was picked up three years ago from a Vauxhall franchise in Wrexham.

Both have been good runabouts. I guess the older one is now north of 100k miles. Both have had usual parts like batteries, exhausts etc need replacement. At least one is on second clutch ditto alternator.

You mention MoT history, what about servicing?

Citroen C1 - private seller vs franchise: milliage + cost - SLO76
All down to condition and history. A 95,000 mile car that’s been looked after properly will be a far safer bet than a 61,000 miler that hasn’t fresh oil in years. At this money I do prefer buying privately as you get to meet the owner and a look at their home will tell you plenty about them. A dealer on the other hand will tell you all sorts of lies about the cars past.
Citroen C1 - private seller vs franchise: milliage + cost - Andrew-T

I'm thinking it better to choose the lower mileage one but want some advice. Will I be saving money in the long run still choosing a cheaper car.

At this age and price it is all down to your skill and judgment. Anyone able to reliably determine which car will cost money (or not) will be a clairvoyant. As SLO says, buy privately - you can (should) meet the owner who can (should) tell you all about the car, which will be (a lot) cheaper than from a trader. You won't have any comeback, but any trader's warranty on a cheap car is of limited value anyway.

Citroen C1 - private seller vs franchise: milliage + cost - carl duck
Have you considered a Fiat Panda....much more car for similar money.

I’d also look at Mitsubishi Colt in five door guise.

Try to avoid buying from a trader as you will be just paying them.

Buy private, save £500 and use it for a service and any other remedial jobs you might need.

Suzuki ignis also a useable used car.
Citroen C1 - private seller vs franchise: milliage + cost - expat
Buy private, save £500 and use it for a service and any other remedial jobs you might need.

Most used cars in your price range will need a cambelt change so allow for the cost of that unless the vendor can show you an actual receipt for a recent belt change.

Citroen C1 - private seller vs franchise: milliage + cost - Andrew-T

Most used cars in your price range will need a cambelt change so allow for the cost of that unless the vendor can show you an actual receipt for a recent belt change.

You can be sure that a car from a dealer won't have had its belt changed for sale, so the £500 is a genuine saving. It's called trader profit and contingency against warranty calls.

Citroen C1 - private seller vs franchise: milliage + cost - Chris M

C1 etc. are chain, not belt. Loved our C1. Very simple design and easy to DIY service if that floats your boat.