What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Honda CR-V Hybrid - our new motor - Mike H

Took delivery of our brand new Honda CR-V Hybrid 4WD yesterday, which replaced our 2015 1.6 diesel 2WD. First impressions are very favourable - it's smooth, comfortable, and feels somehow more solid, almost like our Saab 9-5 that the previous one replaced. Round town, it feels very lively with instant pickup, probably due to the lag-free response of the electric motor. On rural roads, it rolls less than the old car. It's going to take some time to get to grips with all the bells and whistles though! SWMBO hadn't completely got to grips with the old one, so this will be a steep learning curve for her, although to be fair it can be left in what in camera terms would be point-and-shoot mode.

So far we're just 'driving' it, with no specific attempt at getting the most economy, most performance etc. from it. It seems to suit the style of the car.

When we've had it longer, and there's more to say, I'll post a full review.

Edited by Mike H on 24/07/2019 at 17:30

Honda CR-V Hybrid - our new motor - SLO76
I’ve just read Auto Express mags most up to date report on their longterm 1.5 Hybrid CRV and it sounds like my kind of thing. They describe it as relaxed, comfortable, highly practical, very well made and reasonably economical. They gave it four out of five overall. I still wouldn’t pay £35k for one or the current lease rates, but I’ll be keen on a good used one in a few years at half that money. Though I may just go for a 2wd auto without the hybrid setup.

Keep yours in good order as it might land on my lap at some point.
Honda CR-V Hybrid - our new motor - Brit_in_Germany

Are Brexit worries getting to you then SLO76? 99 days to pack your bags and join the enlightened ones. Only kidding but a LHD Honda might not be too much use to you otherwise.

Edited by Brit_in_Germany on 24/07/2019 at 20:37

Are Brexit worries getting to you then SLO76? 99 days to pack your bags and join the enlightened ones. Only kidding but a LHD Honda might not be too much use to you otherwise.

There’s another edge to Brexit up here in Scotland. It gives the lunatic nationalists another opportunity and this time they might just do it. The thought of suddenly being in a tiny nation out of the UK and out of the EU but with ruinous public sector finances which don’t meet EU entry requirements fills me and any sane person with dread. I tried talking sense into every Brexit supporting unionist i knew but all were thinking with national pride over rational thought and now we’re in a potentially disastrous position. In the future if one of us wanted to work anywhere other than Scotland we’d have to emigrate while today it’s a run on the train. I understand why English people voted for even if I disagreed with them but for any union supporting Scot it was madness in my view. I’m sick of flag waving nationalism of any sort. As Albert Einstein said, “Nationalism is an infantile disease, it is the measles of mankind.” Quite happy with LHD, done plenty of time on that side of the car. May be running for the border soon.

Edited by SLO76 on 24/07/2019 at 21:08

Well spotted BIG, you remembered we live in Austria :-)

We're leasing ours, although the arrangement seems to be more like a PCP in UK terms. The residual value has been calculated at €25000 after 4 years on a car priced at €47k new. Interest on the repayments is fixed at just under 3%. No-one seems to know how residuals will go on hybrids, but they look quite strong to me.

I’ve just read Auto Express mags most up to date report on their longterm 1.5 Hybrid CRV and it sounds like my kind of thing. They describe it as relaxed, comfortable, highly practical, very well made and reasonably economical. They gave it four out of five overall. I still wouldn’t pay £35k for one or the current lease rates, but I’ll be keen on a good used one in a few years at half that money. Though I may just go for a 2wd auto without the hybrid setup. Keep yours in good order as it might land on my lap at some point.

It's a 2 litre, the rest of the new CR-V range is the 1.5 petrol, turbocharged, in either 173bhp for the manual, or 193bhp for the auto.

Even with our short acquaintance, I'd agree that 'relaxed' describes it perfectly - it's quiet and smooth, and it's surprisingly difficult to detect when the petrol engine is running.

“It's a 2 litre, the rest of the new CR-V range is the 1.5 petrol”

So it is, I forgot they stuck with the N/A 2.0 on the hybrid. A good tough engine that was lacking in torque and a bit thirsty before the hybrid tech but from the economy figures the mag is getting (43.5mpg) I think I’ll go for the 1.5 turbo instead unless the hybrid is very close on price used. It just won’t repay itself to pay much more for it without a company tax bill to pay but it’s certainly a good and likely utterly dependable big car.

Strangely enough, after just under 150km, ours has currently settled at 43.5mpg, or 6.5l/100km in our local currency ;-)

Honda CR-V Hybrid - our new motor - John F

Strangely enough, after just under 150km, ours has currently settled at 43.5mpg, or 6.5l/100km in our local currency ;-)

At similar mileage, our ancient Mk1 Focus auto estate, appox 300Kg lighter, did 37.6mpg. (circa1000 mile brim-brim observation). Not much progress, methinks. A saving of 30 gallons/£180 per annum plus whatever the difference in VED is for the average 8000 mile a year driver. This would take umpteen years to erode the huge price premium for these double engined machines. They don't make sense to me.

Honda CR-V Hybrid - our new motor - mcb100
The Honda CR-V hybrid uses an Atkinson cycle 2 litre, specific to hybrid use. I’m not sure how much is carried over from the pre-existing engine. I ran one for a month at launch time, it’s quiet and smooth, with decent fuel economy around town but I only managed to get it into the 30’s with more motorway miles, using cruise control and going steadily.