What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
2008 1.8tdci - Ford focus battery change - Jodders74

Hi just wondering if any of you guys no anything of issues after changing a car battery Recently changed my 2008 1.8tdci focus battery to a EA722 4 Year Warranty ExideBattery 72Ah 720CCA W096TE Type 096

On the Ebay search it stated that this was for my model and engine and year of car .

The only issue I am having is when I turn the ignition and the red warning lights go off the 3 orange warning lights stay on for longer (about 12 seconds) the engine management light , the anti skid and glow plug lights, this was not happening before I changed the battery.

The car starts fine and there are no other issues

My main worry is the battery correct for my car and will it damage my car

Hope this makes sense and hope to hear of any idea why it's doing it

Thanks mat

2008 1.8tdci - Ford focus battery change - Galaxy

Well, changing a battery will upset the settings in the ECU and it will take a while for the car to relearn them and reset to what they were previously.

Perhaps the battery wasn't fully charged when you obtained it, particularly if the supplier had it in stock for a while before it was sold.

Have you tried taking your car for a good run to see whether the above issues resolve themselves?

I've checked on the Euro Car Parts website and the battery that you have purchased is, indeed, listed as being suitable for your car. They also list an 80AH one for the same application but I would have thought that the 72AH would be adequate for the UK climate.

It's just possible, but very unlikely, that your new battery could be faulty. This is why I personally would never buy anything like a battery online in case there were problems with it.

Are you absolutely sure that there's no previously undiagnosed alternator problem?

You could just try disconnecting the new battery, waiting 30 minutes and then reconnect it to see whether this makes any difference.

Edited by Galaxy on 18/07/2019 at 14:26

2008 1.8tdci - Ford focus battery change - Jodders74

Thanks for the quick reply I eventually found out what the problem was after hours of scratching my head!, at the same time I was changing the battery I tried to wire in an aftermarket radio as my Ford Sony CD player was no longer playing CDs.

When I plugged it in there didn't seem to be anyone power to it so assumed it was the wiring adapter as the ford Sony stereo radio still worked after literally days of trying I checked the fuses and low and behold there was a 7.5 Amp fuse that had gone under the glove compartment new radio now works and the dashboard lights are back to normal , think next time I will check the obvious first !

2008 1.8tdci - Ford focus battery change - Galaxy

I'm very pleased to be able to hear that you managed to solve the problem.

Thank you for letting us know.