What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Unknown Part Name - suzanna valentine

Hi,
I know nothing about cars but the other day had to put in a new battery into my S Type Jaguar after googling how to do it. However there was a tube connected to a plastic part that went into the old battery that I now know was needed to release gasses. I still have the tube but the plastic part that was in the battery that the tube connected to I no longer have because I disposed of the old battery.. Could anyone tell me what that piece is called and where i can buy one please? I've googled and can find no mention of it anywhere. It just looked like a hollow white plastic tube coming out of the battery that I presume the rubber tube connects to.
Thanks for any help.

Unknown Part Name - elekie&a/c doctor
It’s a battery vent pipe . Your new battery may not need one, but there are plenty on e-bay from around £3 .

Thanks for replying so quickly. I did call a battery shop just now and they said most batteries today don't need that anymore because the acid or something is different and they have a little place on top where the gas disperses safely. Thank you for confirming that.

The old battery i took out was the original jaguar battery and was 13 years old so would be why it had it i expect.

Unknown Part Name - Brit_in_Germany

The S-type replacement, the XF, also had a vent pipe. I guess the thought was that as the battery was not in the engine bay, there would be a risk of hydrogen building up in the cabin.