What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Ford Fiesta - Missing spare key and broken fog light glass - carol1628

Hi,

First time posting so hopefully in the right place. We recently bought a used Fiesta from a dealer and once home discovered a couple of issues. I accept that we should have noticed before leaving the dealer, but regrettably we didn't so just wondering what other's thoughts are on where we stand.

Problems are:

- no spare key

- front passenger fog light is missing glass (bulb and unit are present)

One friend has advised that the dealer should sort these, under Consumer Rights Act the car is not the quality it should be. And that with the missing glass, the car is not road worthy.

If this is the case, how best is it to raise with the dealer and find a resolution?

thanks for any thoughts. And please be gentle, I'm new to the forum and dealing with these issues.

Ford Fiesta - Missing spare key and broken fog light glass - Bromptonaut

I'd suggest contacting a consumer rights advice body such as Consumers Association or Citizens Advice. Number for latter is 03454 04 05 06.

Ford Fiesta - Missing spare key and broken fog light glass - Gordon17

Have you actually asked the dealer yet?

Ford Fiesta - Missing spare key and broken fog light glass - skidpan

Many dealers have a notice that states that some cars will only have one key and that is the end of the story. I suppose its because many spares get lost or not handed over and they are an expensive items for some brands to replicate. We have bought twice from such dealers but in both cases the cars came with 2 keys.

A broken fog light lens is not the end of the world and any decent dealer should replace it. But since they haven't done it whilst preping the car I suspect you may have bought form a back street Arthur Daley type dealer.

As above, have you asked them yet?

Ford Fiesta - Missing spare key and broken fog light glass - oldroverboy.

For a key, go to Timpsons or others and they will make a key for £60 ish if the dealer won't play ball.

BUT>>>

You don't say how much the car was and how old.. If it was a cheap old car, not much hope for you unless it was advertised with 2 keys, and a new MOT.

Thanks all. I have contacted the dealer regarding the lack of spare key. I contacted them last week but no reply yet. I haven’t contacted them since discovering the fog light glass missing, as I wanted to ask around for opinions about whether the issues are worth trying to get a response about or just to let them go. For info, the dealer is reputable. They are the used car dealer of a large multi site car dealer in central Scotland.

The car is a 65 plate Fiesta with 28k miles, cost £6.5k.

It was MOT’d by the garage before it was advertised for sale. So I assume the fact it passed with no mention of the fog light, then it’s not an issue from the point of view. Although the cynic in me thinks it’s convenient that the MOT is down by their own garage.

No mention in the advert re whether there was one or two keys. Maybe I’ve been spoilt to always have gotten two keys!

Thanks again, I’ll try again with the dealer but won’t hold out much hope.
Ford Fiesta - Missing spare key and broken fog light glass - elekie&a/c doctor
Cars registered after 2009, fitted with front fog lights , need to be in good order and working to pass an mot . So not too sure what has happened here.
Ford Fiesta - Missing spare key and broken fog light glass - Andrew-T

Foglamp. Roadworthy? Definitely driveable, obviously, but would probably fail an MoT, or at least get an 'advisory'. But considering the number of cars driving around in winter with one or more bulbs out, I don't think you need worry unless the broken lens presents a hazard.

With a car of that value your seller should rectify the lamp without complaint, but the longer you wait, the easier it will be for them to claim it has happened since. They may well agree to provide another key. If they do neither you will know where not to go for your next car.

Great thanks for the input folks. Good to know that other’s think they are issues the dealer should rectify. Having never had issues like this before, it’s hard to know how assertive to be or when to let it go.
Thanks!!
Ford Fiesta - Missing spare key and broken fog light glass - Brit_in_Germany

A fog light can break from one second to the next. If you didn't notice it at the dealer's, the chances of them replacing it are fairly low.