Ford Galaxy - Leg/stomach room - Rory Fackrell

Hey all

I'm after a bit of advice. I've developed a large hernia over the last couple of years and it's got to the point where driving is becoming uncomfortable - especially when i hit a bump.

Anyway, could somebody recommend a car that has really good distance from the back of the seat to the bottom of the steering wheel? I've mentioned the Galaxy but also considering something like a grand c4 picasso, c-max, s-max etc. I did think a range rover or discovery would be a good bet but they're actually awful! Also tried a VW transporter and a transit Due to a spinal injury the car also needs to be pretty high to avoid bending too much, again the s-max would seem to fit the bill but

I suppose i could look at a flat bottomed steering wheel which would help a bit but i was thought about what really tall people do? Is there some sort of way of moving the rails on the bottom of the seat back a couple of inches? I came across a company that makes custom brackets/rails but they're based in the states and 99% for american cars only :-(

Thanks in advance

Ford Galaxy - Leg/stomach room - badbusdriver

I am no expert, but thinking about it, the flaw in the notion of having the seat moved back with modified brackets or whatever, is the length of your legs and that isn't going to change. Imagine if you are sitting in a car with the seat set at the correct distance from the pedals, if you then have that seat moved further back by whatever means, your feet are not going to reach the pedals.

The problem here is the steering wheel, so you need to be looking at a car where the wheel has a good range of height and reach adjustment. Might be worth getting in touch with a company which modifies cars for disabled drivers, they might be able to offer some options for you.

Ford Galaxy - Leg/stomach room - Big John

I'm tall (6ft 4" ) and large - I find the Skoda Superb ideal (mine is 2014). Obviously it's not a high up car - although the seat goes pretty high. lot's of room upfront and it has a bigger drivers door compared to most cars. I struggle with the B pillar postion on many cars - the Superb is spot on for me. There is a good range of adjustment on the sterring wheel (reach and rake)

Edited by Big John on 27/06/2019 at 21:59

Ford Galaxy - Leg/stomach room - Ian_SW

All the current Peugeots have a very small steering wheel, which may help.

From the OP's description, the 3008 would probably be the one to look at.

Ford Galaxy - Leg/stomach room - Avant

I'm 5'7" with an average size body and shorter-than-average legs: but I don't like the steering wheel too close to me when I'm the right distance from the pedals.

For some reason all VWs , Audis and Skodas that I've had have been ideal: all BMWs have been uncomfortable as the wheel is too close (the 2-series Active Tourer is better in this respect but the seat itself isn't comfortable.

Volvo seats are excellent but I found that there wasn't ever enough of a gap between the bottom of the wheel and the seat. If you have that problem, a flat-bottomed wheel will help.

Ford Galaxy - Leg/stomach room - badbusdriver

All the current Peugeots have a very small steering wheel, which may help.

From the OP's description, the 3008 would probably be the one to look at.

It's an interesting notion, but i'm not sure it would help in practice. The reason being that Peugeot's i cockpit is designed so that the (small) steering wheel sits low in your lap enabling you to see the dials over the top of the steering wheel, just below the windscreen (at least that is the theory. From what i have read, it is doesn't work for all drivers). So i suspect the steering wheel won't have enough vertical adjustment for any potential benefit.

But certainly worth going into your local dealer to try it out.

Ford Galaxy - Leg/stomach room - Glaikit Wee Scunner {P}

I'm glad I don't knowingly have a hernia.I'd focus on getting the health issue sorted or improved before thinking about changing cars. I know how dangerous hernias can be from family and friends history. Good luck.