VW Golf - Golf R Warranty - gordon115

My Golf R warranty runs out next month.

I have been offered named component warranty for £222 (£100 excess) 12 months or all component cover for £277.

The car is a 2015 with 34k miles and the DSG 'box.

What do you reckon?

I don't think the price is bad.

VW Golf - Golf R Warranty - Wee Willie Winkie

Is that through VW? If so, it seems a good price to me.

VW Golf - Golf R Warranty - SLO76
I wouldn’t bother unless it’s a VW extended warranty. Pretty much all aftermarket warranties aren’t worth the paper they’re printed on or they’re extortionate. They’ll have plenty of exclusions and terms plus there’s usually a claims limit that won’t even look at a major repair especially the likes of a DSG box replacement.

The wet clutch DSG box in the R has a better reputation than the dry clutch set up in cheaper models but the powerful R is hard on them and repeated hard acceleration from a standing start will destroy the clutch pack. I’ve heard of loads of cases of this on R’s that’ve been driven hard.

To be honest, this gearbox has such a notorious reputation that I wouldn’t own one beyond the VW warranty term so unless you’re planning on extending the original warranty (even then watch for claims limit and other terms) then I’d get rid of it.
VW Golf - Golf R Warranty - Eyan1
I agree if it’s a VW backed warranty it’s a great deal if not avoid.
VW Golf - Golf R Warranty - CHarkin

From the prices you quote it sounds like the VW warranty, I've used it a couple of times but never had to make a claim. Even though its with VW its still an insurance based warranty and does not cover everything, like bodywork. A claim needs to be a sudden failure not something that has failed through neglect. It also ties you to the VW dealer for servicing. Still worth it in my book.

VW Golf - Golf R Warranty - skidpan

Had 2 VAG extended warranties in the past but since I have never needed to claim I cannot comment about that aspect.

However, what I can say is without a doubt they are the best warranties available. The first one extend the standard warranty from 3 years to 5 on a Golf and the deal was that if there were no claims you got 100% of your many back. Well we wrote to them as required and a cheque soon arrived.

The next was on a Seat and the deal was if you took out the warranty before registration the T&C's in years 4 and 5 were exactly the same as years 1 to 3 with no extra exclusions. The other aspect was excess, take out a warranty after registration and there was a £200 excess on every claim, take it out before and zero excess.

Read the T & C's.

VW Golf - Golf R Warranty - SLO76
That’s an excellent warranty deal Skidpan. A real no brainer if you get your money back if you don’t need to claim. The cover is excellent too as with most manufacturer approved used or extended policies.