What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Audi a6 2014 3.0l diesel 204 PS with 60k - Failed dpf regen forcing diesel into oil? - Welshwiz1

Hi there

Bought car from Audi 10 months ago. Coming to end of warranty. Had it in for some work and I noticed the electronic oil gauge said too full, remove some oil. I have not had a warning message. Mentioned this to the garage.

When I went to pick the car up they said they have removed 1.5l of oil from the car and insisted I topped the oil up. I get a “free” oil service after 12 months so I wouldn’t have done this. They serviced the car 10 months ago but said if they had over filled it and I had driven it a lot the engine would have blown up. I have done about 6000 miles. So service guy said I should never have bought the car. Maybe fair point but the sales guy said just rev it up the road and the PDF will be fine. I do short runs in the week and every weekend will drive it for at least 1 hours there and back. Have just driven 600 to wales and back and had the dpf warning light on not long after this.

So the service manager told me if I didn’t add oil, the only other option was that the DPF is failing to regen. The extra diesel that is used to get it up to 600 C if not burnt off would be added to the oil. So the extra 1.5l of oil is in fact diesel. Now can diesel get into the oil, this doesn’t sound good doesn’t it have to pass the piston rings etc? Any experts out there ?

My concern is the engine will be well and truly on the way out!

Thanks in advance

Audi a6 2014 3.0l diesel 204 PS with 60k - Failed dpf regen forcing diesel into oil? - RT

An Audi dealer can/should use the diagnostics to examine the % soot in the DPF, the miles (kilometers actually I think) since last DPF regeneration and whether the last regeneration was successful.

Audi a6 2014 3.0l diesel 204 PS with 60k - Failed dpf regen forcing diesel into oil? - daveyjp
Agree with RT. Get a full diagnostic from Audi.

The dealer is right and what you must not do is turn off the engine mid regen. You need to carry on driving, a pain if it starts a regen 100m from home and you don't have 15 minutes to drive the car until it stops.

In reality with the mileage the car has covered and your annual mileage a diesel was probably a bad call. DPFs can fail at less than 100k and this car may have two.
Audi a6 2014 3.0l diesel 204 PS with 60k - Failed dpf regen forcing diesel into oil? - elekie&a/c doctor
If the engine oil level keeps increasing, then there is a problem with the dpf regen system. Removing excess oil fuel mix is not a good idea . The engine oil has now been diluted and needs to be renewed, along with the oil filter.
Audi a6 2014 3.0l diesel 204 PS with 60k - Failed dpf regen forcing diesel into oil? - Welshwiz1

ok so what would you guys do in my situation?

ask for the dpf diagnosis as a starting point? im not sure if they just put too much oil in it, suppose I will never know. as the cars under warranty assume I can ask for this free? assume there are no error codes as this would have flagged up when I dropped it in. maybe they didn't put it in the computer as it was for a blocked washer jet.

any long term issues likely to be caused by all of this do you think?

thanks for your advice :-)

on a side note how do you know if the dpf is doing a regen? the car doesn't tell you. I have heard the engine fans on but this could be to cool the engine or due to regen? I would have thought it was obvious?

Audi a6 2014 3.0l diesel 204 PS with 60k - Failed dpf regen forcing diesel into oil? - edlithgow

Pending proper diagnosis/fix (assuming this isn't an inherent/generic fault) I'd change the oil.

I'd change it for the highest viscosity oil approved for this vehicle.

Once its out of warranty I'd change it for the highest available viscosity I thought I could get away with, if different from above. This will probably be 15W40 or 20W50. Since you might be doing it fairly frequently, you probably want fairly cheap stuff which, along with the change frequency, contra-indicates high end synthetics.You could save a bit by re-using the (perhaps drained) filter.

(In fact, I use a 1:1 mix of straight 40 and either of those, to get the viscosity up a bit more, and there's no diesel in my oil)

Oil thinned by diesel wont lubricate so well, and could cause an engine to run-away and destroy itself if it starts running on its sump oil.

Thicker oil will resist these effects better.

Edited by edlithgow on 23/05/2019 at 04:19

Audi a6 2014 3.0l diesel 204 PS with 60k - Failed dpf regen forcing diesel into oil? - paul 1963

I have to disagree with edith on this one, use the oil recommended and I certainly wouldn't re-use the oil filter, false economy as far as I'm concerned....

Audi a6 2014 3.0l diesel 204 PS with 60k - Failed dpf regen forcing diesel into oil? - edlithgow

I have to disagree with edith on this one, use the oil recommended and I certainly wouldn't re-use the oil filter, false economy as far as I'm concerned....

On a standard OCI filter re-use might be a false economy, though its probably just a marginal economy. I believe 2 OCI are actually recommended by some manufacturers. (Filter performance improves as it gets loaded with contaminants, though of course it will eventually fill up)

I've never actually done this, but that isn't for any rational reasons.

In the context of unusually frequent oil changes due to diesel fuel contamination, it would be a real economy.

There would be a slight additional carry over of diesel in the filter, which is why I suggested draining it.

You'd probably need some implement to defeat the anti drain back valve. I'd probably use a chopstick.

Edited by edlithgow on 24/05/2019 at 04:20

Audi a6 2014 3.0l diesel 204 PS with 60k - Failed dpf regen forcing diesel into oil? - RT

Pending proper diagnosis/fix (assuming this isn't an inherent/generic fault) I'd change the oil.

I'd change it for the highest viscosity oil approved for this vehicle.

Once its out of warranty I'd change it for the highest available viscosity I thought I could get away with, if different from above. This will probably be 15W40 or 20W50. Since you might be doing it fairly frequently, you probably want fairly cheap stuff which, along with the change frequency, contra-indicates high end synthetics.You could save a bit by re-using the (perhaps drained) filter.

(In fact, I use a 1:1 mix of straight 40 and either of those, to get the viscosity up a bit more, and there's no diesel in my oil)

Oil thinned by diesel wont lubricate so well, and could cause an engine to run-away and destroy itself if it starts running on its sump oil.

Thicker oil will resist these effects better.

Lowest viscosity protects the engine earlier in the warm-up cycle, just when most wear occurs.

Changing oil viscosity to fix a DPF issue is the wrong answer, IMO.

Only fully-synthetic meets modern requirements for cats and DPFs.

Lowest viscosity protects the engine earlier in the warm-up cycle, just when most wear occurs.

That's an old one. Never seen any evidence for this oft-repeated claim.

If you have any sources on this, I'd be interested to see them.

To be fair, I havn't seen much experimental evidence to the contrary either, though I have seen some.

The general drift of informed opinion seems to be that, within the pumpability limits of the oil, which are seldom approached west of Novosibirsk, the positive displacement oil pump delivers roughly a fixed volume of oil per revolution, irrespective of oil viscosity.

EVEN IF this were true, in the current context

(a) The OP's oil is getting thinned by diesel. If you start with thin oil and thin it, you'll quickly end up with oil which is TOO THIN, and this will far outweigh any notional disadvantages of oil which is "too thick".

(If you think oil can't be too thin, then diesel dilution is presumably no problem, except (b))

{b) If the engine runs away and wrecks itself, this will far, far outweigh any notional disadvantages of oil which is "too thick".

"Changing oil viscosity to fix a DPF issue is the wrong answer, IMO."

Clearly it isn't a "fix" at all. Its a partial immediate action work-around. As someone pointed out above, the most reliable "fix" would be not buying one in the first place

"Only fully-synthetic meets modern requirements for cats and DPFs."

That's a new one. For cats I'm pretty sure it isn't true.

As I understand it, DPF's require a low SAPS (basically, low ash) oil. The ash comes from the additives, not the base stock, so there isn't any obvious reason why it can't be achieved with conventional oil.

(This assumes the conventional - synthetic distinction means anything, which is doubtful outside a German legal context. "Fully synthetic" to me implies actually synthesised, and if thats what you mean, your statement is even less plausible, since that is pretty rare)

Edited by edlithgow on 24/05/2019 at 04:09

Audi a6 2014 3.0l diesel 204 PS with 60k - Failed dpf regen forcing diesel into oil? - injection doc

You need to have a full diagnostic check but the temp sensor values & pressure sensor values also need checking.

If there is a fault regardless of whether its connected to DPF may stop the vehicle carrying out a regen successfully, however on yours it sounds like its trying continually and flooding the sump with diesel fuel.

If you continue there is a likely it will start running on the oil in the sump.

My neighbour had this issue with a V6 vag and it was fitted with so many bits and when I looked it was just a temp sensor Still working but giving a lower reading.

Fitted new temp sensor and carried regen sorted.

The mileage you are doing isn't really ideal

thanks all for the replies. I have spoken to the service manager and customer service at Audi who all say this is normal and they will not be paying for any diagnostics on the car. customer service spoke to technical experts who I assume is the garage it went into ....

Audi a6 2014 3.0l diesel 204 PS with 60k - Failed dpf regen forcing diesel into oil? - galileo

thanks all for the replies. I have spoken to the service manager and customer service at Audi who all say this is normal and they will not be paying for any diagnostics on the car. customer service spoke to technical experts who I assume is the garage it went into ....

Knowing VAG's attitude to customers not surprised at the brush-off. As has been pointed out modern diesels are not ideal unless you do a high enough mileage..

yeah, live and learn. I mentioned the DPF to the sales guy and he said just take it for a spin on a local A road near to me once in a while. the service manager said I should never have bought it !! ah well. only 3 years of PCP left ....

Audi a6 2014 3.0l diesel 204 PS with 60k - Failed dpf regen forcing diesel into oil? - Dorset123

If the oil level is too high on a diesel it can run on its own oil and this would wreck an engine so not good. When a DPF filter is carrying out a regen the engine pumps in more fuel to raise the temp in the exhaust if the car is turned off during a DPF cycle this fuel can go into the sump and this would raise the oil level. Do not continue to drive this vehicle until the oil level is correct otherwise it could be the end for the engine. The best thing you could do is change to a petrol engine vehicle.