Peugeot 206 1.4 Petrol - Dirty brown stuff inside coolant reservoir - dragonfly101

Just got this car and noticed that the coolant reservoir is dirty with dried brown gunk around the sides. Also the oil on the dipstick is a lighter brown than I'm used to seeing, viscosity seems normal though.

Is this likely a head gasket about to go and stop driving it now type scenario? It seems to run fine, no overheating or anything.

Photos: 1drv.ms/a/s!AmGtZYDBXzj8hb9UohgvPx4awVTynA

Peugeot 206 1.4 Petrol - Dirty brown stuff inside coolant reservoir - galileo

First step recommended would be a coolant change, brown gunk is likely to be rust due to lack of the corrosion inhibitors which antifreeze contains These may have been used up and thus ineffective, or some cheapskate owner has used plain tapwater to fill the system.

Peugeot 206 1.4 Petrol - Dirty brown stuff inside coolant reservoir - elekie&a/c doctor
Don’t like the colour of the oil, looks like coolant contamination. Could be from a previous problem or an impending issue. Get the cooling system flushed and the oil and filter renewed, then monitor the situation .
Peugeot 206 1.4 Petrol - Dirty brown stuff inside coolant reservoir - edlithgow

Never used one and don't know how much they cost, but in the UK I believe you can get a kit that'll detect combustion gases in the cooling system, if you're in a hurry for bad news (or no news, which'd be good news)

Peugeot 206 1.4 Petrol - Dirty brown stuff inside coolant reservoir - dragonfly101

Thanks all, I've had a really close look at the coolant and can see some tiny brown particles in it - I wonder if this could be rust from the radiator? No sign of oil that I can see. Also got a better photo of the oil from the dipstick, on a non-porous white surface in daylight: 1drv.ms/u/s!AmGtZYDBXzj8hcAYx9gyzbgi6FlOkg

Peugeot 206 1.4 Petrol - Dirty brown stuff inside coolant reservoir - John F

The oil looks contaminated to me. I'll hazard a guess the CHG has failed, so the previous owner has drained the old dirty coolant and refilled with probably just water plus possibly a can of Radweld; changed the old oil which probably looked like salad cream (it looks very new and golden on your white material) and sold the car a.s.a.p.

Peugeot 206 1.4 Petrol - Dirty brown stuff inside coolant reservoir - madf

The oil looks contaminated to me. I'll hazard a guess the CHG has failed, so the previous owner has drained the old dirty coolant and refilled with probably just water plus possibly a can of Radweld; changed the old oil which probably looked like salad cream (it looks very new and golden on your white material) and sold the car a.s.a.p.

+111111111

First rule of buying a car: check oil None: walk away

second rule:: check coolant presence and colour.Dirty brown: run away.

Edited by madf on 04/05/2019 at 19:04

Peugeot 206 1.4 Petrol - Dirty brown stuff inside coolant reservoir - Andrew-T
Don’t like the colour of the oil, looks like coolant contamination. Could be from a previous problem or an impending issue. Get the cooling system flushed and the oil and filter renewed, then monitor the situation .

It's hard to judge fully from these pics, tho they are good ones. You could have a gasket check, tho that is not always conclusive. It's quite likely that the car has waited too long between oil and coolant changes. Rusty deposits in the overflow tank are not unusual and not necessarily bad news - old style coolant didn't last more than a couple of years especially if made up with hard water.

The tank on this car (like the 205) can be detached from its rubber band and lifted for refilling, so it's an easy job to detach it from the hose and give it a good clean-out, so that at least you can see better what is inside. If the gasket check reveals nothing, change oil and coolant and see what develops.

Thanks for the further advice, I do like the car in many other respects, it appears in good overall condition and all the usual consumables (exhaust, pads,..) are a long way from needing replacement. I'll remove the coolant tank and have a closer look as suggested, and will check the oil and coolant every 100 miles or so.

As for where I bought it, it was privately and fwiw my judgement of the seller was positive (and I know where they live).

Interestingly I can see on ebay 1.4L 206 petrol engines going for less than £300 (some even sub £100), so may be best just to drive it till it blows and then replace the engine, I have a nearby garage that I trust to do such a job.

The other possible causes for rusty coolant are corrosion in the radiator or the heater matrix, so changing coolant is always a good idea. Twenty years ago some cars' schedules never mentioned the idea (the Clio was one) but that didn't necessarily lead to early problems. The overflow tank is semi-transparent so the owner can easily see that the level and colour are correct.

Peugeot 206 1.4 Petrol - Dirty brown stuff inside coolant reservoir - Deryck

Oil cooler? I just had mine go with gunk in the expansion tank

Oil cooler? I just had mine go with gunk in the expansion tank

No oil coolers on a 1.4 206 ....

urgh, just been reading the 206 owners manual closely and it specifically says you never need to change the coolant (just check and top-up as needed)! Well that explains a lot, 18 year old coolant - no wonder it's not crystal clear. It also specifies oil changes every 2 years/20k miles - I wonder, has this 20k oil changes thing (which I recall hearing about in early 2000s) stood the test of time?

My 2008 Pug 207SW diesel has its original coolant, still blue, tho it has been added to when the cambelt and waterpump were changed recently. Which may be bad news if your coolant has rusted that much, and you need to find out why. Maybe a leak developed at some point and replacement was not done properly - or just topped up with tap water.

Oil changes - you won't find many people on here advising oil-change intervals as long as that. The recommendation is mainly to satisfy fleet owners who want to hand on cars after a useful stint without incurring any maintenance cost. 'Normal' private owners should aim to change every year or 10K miles, whichever comes first - but when the handbook says that, it's too easy to just put it off.

The other question is - if the coolant has not been changed it may mean neither has the waterpump, so nor has the cambelt. Do you know?

Edited by Andrew-T on 08/05/2019 at 00:22

Peugeot 206 1.4 Petrol - Dirty brown stuff inside coolant reservoir - John F

My 2008 Pug 207SW diesel has its original coolant, still blue

Our 2000 Focus 1.6 Zetec has its original coolant, still pink and clear after 138,000 miles.

To check for CHG failure, mark the coolant level when cold, drive a hundred miles, then check the level when cold again. If it's below your mark, it's probably failed, especially if the oil is looking increasingly like mayonnaise.

Oil changes - you won't find many people on here advising oil-change intervals as long as that.

I dunno, I seem to recall some argument about that.

I've just changed my oil after about 5 or 6 years. I wouldn't recommend this, but I'm unconvinced that its necessarily all that harmful on low mileage.

You'd need fairly extensive oil analysis and wear-monitoring data to confirm or deny this, which isn't likely to be available to the average private punter.

At the beginning of this OCI the engine had some sheet varnish. Now its gone, and the engine looks rather shiny.

www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topic...t

I'd speculate that my mix of CPC Group I SAE 40 (which probably has high solvency but relatively low stability) and (probably Group 2?) Mobil Delvac MX 15w40, which is primarily for diesel engines so will have high detergency, has helped shift the varnish.

There's no evidence of oil breakdown, despite this being a mix of fairly cheap non synthetic oils

The oil did, however, look black, and if this is due to wear debris its possible the long change interval has contributed to higher wear.

Edited by edlithgow on 15/05/2019 at 10:16

The oil did, however, look black, in bulk, and if this is due to wear debris its possible the long change interval has contributed to higher wear.

DUH and OOPS!

This is of course nonsense.

Wear debris will be entirely related to use/mileage, and not at all to time, assuming the oil hasn't become acidic, rather unlikely here..

A high level of wear debris is, however, a reason to change the oil, (unless one has some way of removing it, like enhanced filtration or magnetic separation) since it will itself cause more wear.

"How much is too much?" is the operative question, and I bet there isn't an answer to it readily available, even if one could quantify the debris.

Edited by edlithgow on 16/05/2019 at 05:11