What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Ford Fiesta 2000 W 1.25 Zetec 16v - Won't start - Roland T

I kept my old Fiesta to use a donor after declaring SORN 13 months ago. During this time, I have started it occasionally to move it to get better access to swap parts, or just to keep things moving.

Just recently, it will turn over normally but shows no inclination to fire. The battery is good and is charged regularly. I have noticed that on turning the key to the second position, the fuel pump does not run to pressurise as it usually did and think this is probably significant (fuel pump fuse is OK).

The fuel level is low, I put another 1-2 litres in just in case but it made no difference.

Any suggestions of things to try would be much appreciated.

Ford Fiesta 2000 W 1.25 Zetec 16v - Won't start - elekie&a/c doctor
Very possible that the fuel pump has failed. Pretty common fault on these. I would also check the fuel shut off switch in passenger footwell.
Ford Fiesta 2000 W 1.25 Zetec 16v - Won't start - Roland T

Thanks for the prompt reply.

Inertia switch is still down and I'm pretty sure I can hear the relay clicking, will double check that but pump failure seems likely.

As the car has sat for a year with little fuel in the tank, It seems possible that corrosion might have occurred, which has been drawn into the pump due to the low fuel level.