Again - Boeing 737 updates. - oldroverboy.

https://spectrum.ieee.org/aerospace/aviation/how-the-boeing-737-max-disaster-looks-to-a-software-developer

I am sure it can be moved to general discussion shortly...

BUT it is such an informed article...

AVANT, feel free to move, but give it a couple of days?

Again - Boeing 737 updates. - Avant

Thanks, ORB.

I moved the previous thread as it was getting bogged down. But there is a parallel here in that motorists are in danger of blindly following automated systems instead of their own judgement (rather than 'as well as' which is what should happen).

I try not to be a Luddite but personally I believe that the human brain is so complex that it can never be matched by computer software - although friends who are experts in IT disagree with me. You can programme a computer to be reactive - but can it ever be proactive?

it's telling that at the end of the article the author says that the disasters happened not because people didn't follow the rules - but because they did. If I fly, I'd rather rely on highly skilled and trained pilots ultimately in control of their IT than being controlled by them.

Years ago I was handed a car park entry ticket by an attendant becaise the machine had broken down. He said 'Yer can't beat a yooman being'. Some essentials in life don't change.

Again - Boeing 737 updates. - craig-pd130

Quite so. I was chatting with a fellow biker the other day, and he was telling me about why he sold his 2016 Honda Fireblade: many owners are experiencing a random (but terrifying) total loss of braking. Sometimes at speed, other times at 10mph in traffic, causing low-speed shunts.

The Fireblade and its smaller 600cc sibling use a Honda-designed fly-by-wire ABS system which is packed with pressure actuators and modulators. It's unique to those two bikes.

The rider applies the brakes, but rather than working in the usual way, the ABS ECU works out how much braking force the rider is requesting, then works all the actuators and modulators to a) apply the braking force requested and b) apply resistance at the brake lever to give feedback to the rider.

Unfortunately, it's not reliable, but Honda refuses to admit there's a problem despite hundreds of owners complaining. But it's telling that apparently, the latest models of Fireblades have quietly dropped the Honda system and now have a Bosch-designed ABS system.

Again - Boeing 737 updates. - kiss (keep it simple)

Interesting article. I think the crux of the matter is that the 737 has always been playing catchup with the A320 but it is a 20 years older design. A motoring parallel might be Ford Anglia vs VW Golf mk2. Which of those 2 cars could take a powerful modern engine?

Again - Boeing 737 updates. - John F

Interesting indeed - but surely nothing there that should be unknown to the average commercial airline captain - although I did have to check the meaning of the word 'fungible'.

Although the 'dog-bite' software merits criticism and probably improvement, I still cannot dispel the thought of the age old phrase 'a bad workman blames his tools'.

Again - Boeing 737 updates. - John F

You can programme a computer to be reactive - but can it ever be proactive?

Yes.

www.researchgate.net/publication/27293488_Proactiv...g

Like most professionals of my 'baby-boomer' generation, I had to learn computing 'on the job' as the years rolled by. A computer has no intelligence as such - it is merely capable of adding one plus one - almost unbelievably quickly. However, it has a fantastic memory. In contrast I, through no effort of my own, just happen to be highly intelligent but don't have a good memory. Together we made a great team.

Again - Boeing 737 updates. - Avant

"Together we made a great team."

Yes - that's the point. Of course there are things that computer systems can do, and remember, much faster and more efficiently than humans - but there are also things that, so far at least, only humans can do.