Citroen C4 2011 - Numerous faults with car 4 months after purchase - Nathanael Jowett

Hi All,

Looking for some advice. Back in December last year I bought the above vehicle on HP. Shortly after the battery turned out to be faulty, messaged the dealer about it, no response. Just after Christmas the waterpump needed replacing as it was leaking coolant rather quickly. Just recently the front discs and pads also needed replacing as they were close to the legal limit. And just the other day the Check Engine light has illuminated.

I know I have already carried out repairs (have the proof), did ask the dealer regarding repairing the battery and waterpump but no response.

Where do I stand? I am looking to reject the car as it is within the first 6 months. I am also getting advice from the finance company.

Any advice would be appreciated!

Many thanks

Citroen C4 2011 - Numerous faults with car 4 months after purchase - Bromptonaut

Battery and discs/pads are components subject to wear/tear and that need to be replaced at intervals Water pump is matter of luck on seven year old car.

I don't think you've a hope in hell of legitimately rejecting it.

Citroen C4 2011 - Numerous faults with car 4 months after purchase - Avant

I sympathise, but you have to remember that the law (including consumer protection law) exists to uphold that which is reasonable.

The condition you'd expect to find of a 7-8-year-old car isn't the same as for a nearly-new car. The items you've lsted, as Bromptonaut says, are down to natural wear and tear (I'd include the water pump in that given the age of the car) - and also it doesn't sound as if the problems were noticeably present at the time you bought the car.

Maybe cut your losses and flog it. On a similar budget to replace it, condition is more important than make and model, but in general we'd advocate something Japanese and petrol-powered like a Toyota Auris or Hnda Civic.

There's a grim irony in your surname! I'm old enough to remember that Jowett, who went out of business in 1953, produced some of the most unreliable cars ever, even by the low standards of that era.

Citroen C4 2011 - Numerous faults with car 4 months after purchase - Nathanael Jowett

That's a shame, yeah definitely think I'm going to cut my losses and get rid annoyingly my surname seems to be a curse on every car I buy!

Thanks for the advice though.

Citroen C4 2011 - Numerous faults with car 4 months after purchase - sammy1

I don't really get the surname curse bit but does anyone recall the Jowett Javelin car or shooting brake. My dad used to run them and I recall that they had an unconventional cylinder set up??

Citroen C4 2011 - Numerous faults with car 4 months after purchase - RT

I don't really get the surname curse bit but does anyone recall the Jowett Javelin car or shooting brake. My dad used to run them and I recall that they had an unconventional cylinder set up??

They had a flat-four engine, same as Subaru.

At the time all car makers used outside body builders - Ford and Jowett used Briggs which Ford bought and then refused to supply Jowett, putting them out of business.

Citroen C4 2011 - Numerous faults with car 4 months after purchase - galileo

I sympathise, but you have to remember that the law (including consumer protection law) exists to uphold that which is reasonable.

The condition you'd expect to find of a 7-8-year-old car isn't the same as for a nearly-new car. The items you've lsted, as Bromptonaut says, are down to natural wear and tear (I'd include the water pump in that given the age of the car) - and also it doesn't sound as if the problems were noticeably present at the time you bought the car.

Maybe cut your losses and flog it. On a similar budget to replace it, condition is more important than make and model, but in general we'd advocate something Japanese and petrol-powered like a Toyota Auris or Hnda Civic.

There's a grim irony in your surname! I'm old enough to remember that Jowett, who went out of business in 1953, produced some of the most unreliable cars ever, even by the low standards of that era.

Jowett sourced their body pressings from Briggs, which was taken over by Ford and then changed hands again. Difficulty in supply of bodies was what led to their demise.

A Jowett Jupiter won its class at Le Mans in 1951 and 1952, there were several Jowett saloons and vans around when I was a lad in the mid 1950s.