Ford B and C-Max set to die - thank goodness - Engineer Andy

Quite ironic, given every make and their dof are now going into producing numerous MPVs and SUVs for their smaller and mid-sized hatchbacks...I thought that the original C-Max was actually fine, but turned into an ugly car through following iterations.

Ford B and C-Max set to die - thank goodness - carl233

Ford are a basket case of a company the current cost cutting is going to come back and haunt them with reputation issues like the Ecoboost has done. Look at their home US market they are a small player now and been outsmarted by the competition on many levels.

Ford B and C-Max set to die - thank goodness - Chris M

But have had the top selling vehicle in the US for the last 40 years I believe.

And 3 models in the UK top 10.

Edited by Chris M on 30/03/2019 at 21:22

Ford B and C-Max set to die - thank goodness - Falkirk Bairn

>>And 3 models in the UK top 10.

Fiesta, Focus etc in the top 10 - the great bulk of them are Day Rent cars - sold at huge discounts to Avis, Hertz etc - not a bean in profit I would suggest. - just volume to keep the factory running.

The cars then appear in Main Dealers / Motorpoint etc after 6-9 months - profitable for dealers to sell but nothing in it for Uncle Henry!

Hence Ford's European business is a poor financial performer - huge range of cars but the bulk discounted.

Ford B and C-Max set to die - thank goodness - alan1302

Ford are a basket case of a company the current cost cutting is going to come back and haunt them with reputation issues like the Ecoboost has done. Look at their home US market they are a small player now and been outsmarted by the competition on many levels.

In what way are they a small player in the US? They sold around 6.5million cars from the latest figures I can find for 2016

Ford B and C-Max set to die - thank goodness - FiestaOwner

B-Max production ended in 2017. Autocar is a bit slow to report this.

B-Max isn't listed on Ford's website

www.autoexpress.co.uk/ford/b-max/100896/ford-b-max...e

Ford B and C-Max set to die - thank goodness - carl233

Look at the market share especially since 2002 in the US heading downwards year on year. A company with such rich history should be dominating the home market but clearly there are very big issues in the company. The reputation for quality is also going down.

Ford B and C-Max set to die - thank goodness - badbusdriver

Quite ironic, given every make and their dof are now going into producing numerous MPVs and SUVs for their smaller and mid-sized hatchbacks

Not MPV's Andy, they are dying a death, and indeed the reason why the C-Max and B-Max are being killed off. Still seems to be a market for full sized MPV's like the Galaxy and its (IMO pointless) sibling, the S-Max, not to mention the Seat Alhambra, VW Sharan and Caravelle. But you have to wonder Seat will offer a 'new' Alhambra in the UK anyway, now they have a 7 seat SUV?. Its not like they are a big player in the UK, and i'd imagine the Tarraco will outsell the Alhambra by a big margin.

Agree about the C-Max, which started life as a handsome and competent MPV which i'd sooner have than the equivalent Focus. Current model is a bit of an eyesore, especially the Grand C-Max. The B-Max was a missed opportunity, it had potential, but Ford decided to try and be clever with the door arrangement. Had it been properly thought through, this could have been good, with that enormous opening. But, from what i have read, the sliding rear door is very heavy, and the leading edge, surprisingly and unexpectedly sharp. The boot was also too small, smaller than a Jazz and actually smaller than the B-Max's predecessor, the Fusion. The Fusion is a car i have very fond memories of as we had one from 2005-2008 and it really was a cracking little thing. Small but roomy, with a decent sized boot, excellent road manners and with the 1.4 petrol, adequate performance. There is a certain irony that the Fusion was much closer in style to an SUV than the B-Max, and with very little styling work work, (IMO) could have made a convincing SUV 'lite' even today. perhaps a case of being a bit ahead of its time?. Had Ford made the styling a bit more 'butch' with plastic clad wheelarches, chunkier wheel/tyre combo, chunky bumpers with built in extra lights and maybe a pseudo bull bar, roof bars etc, i reckon it could have been a sales smash.

Edited by badbusdriver on 31/03/2019 at 12:50

Well, some makes seem to be getting out of the MPV market, like Ford (I also agree that the sliding door feature of many, including the Mazda5 and others was useful), but others are still there.

Technically the Jazz is one, you've still got the Golf SV, BMW 2-series AT and GT, the Touran (I see what you mean about the barely different Alhambra [Galaxy/S-Max] and Sharan [Essex only? - love that name]), C4 ST, Scenic and a few van-based units.

My sister used to own a Fusion and it was more practical than the mid-00s Fiesta even if the looks weren't quite as good, though in top trim and a decent colour it looked fine. You also had to get the upper spec models to get the Fiesta handling by virtue of the stability control features.

I agree that the B-Max was a wasted opportunity for Ford - the sort of car that the young family on a budget and a retired couple would like (including my parents, who want a small car with a decent sized boot and great all-round visibility/easy to park [they own the Fiesta of that era]) but with a better drive than the Jazz and a bit cheaper.

I'm personally not keen on the current styling of Fords, and, nor it seems are an increasing number of people too - I liked the 2000s look better - simpler, cleaner lines inside and out. I still think the mk2 Focus (especially the updated version) looks better than the mk3 and current one, plus the boot was of a decent size.

I don't think Ford's reliability issues (compared to the 2000s era), especially as regards the 1.0T Ecoboost and Powershi(f)t gearbox helped either, especially as those two were often paired in the smaller Fords, including the B-Max. I suspect quite a few customers moved away to the likes of Hyundai/KIA as a result, contributing in part to their increasing sales figures in the UK whilst Fords (amongst other big names) are still on the slide, trend-wise.

Ford B and C-Max set to die - thank goodness - Avant

You'd think that Ford would have access to no end of talent in the field of marketing - yet the KA+ is a glaringly obvious missed opportunity.

The one thing a city car needs to be is NIPPY. Provided that you go for the bigger engine in each, the VW Up (and Citigo and Miii), the Hyundai i10 and (I believe though I haven't tried one) the Kia Picanto have this quality in spades, but the KA+ is too underpowered. Why on earth do Ford fit a different engine in this from the engine range in the Fiesta?

It's a great pity as 20 years ago SWMBO had an original Ka, and then another, and they were a hoot to drive. They were also surprisingly relaxed on the motorway. I believe that the 1.3 engine in these was a design from many years back - but it did a great job.

Going back to the C-Max, I enjoyed test-driving the 2.0 diesel, but wanted a petrol and there wasn't a big enough petrol engine available to put it higher up my short-list.

Does anybody know what it is that classifies the C-Max as an MPV, whereas my Audi Q2 is an SUV? They're different from each other as any Ford and Audi are - but what they are designed for is not very different. I came quite close to going for a BMW 2-series Active Tourer - again a very good car with a similar purpose but classed as an MPV.

Ford B and C-Max set to die - thank goodness - gordonbennet

I don't think there is any difference between any of the current Crossover/SUV models and MPV's, except for making the SUV's look a bit camp butch with an offroad lifestyle type appearance.

Its all fashion led, MPV now being old hat and SUV being the new in thing, stick a bigger set of wheels on an MPV, some bigger bumpers, slanted headlights with very camp LED's, bulge the wheelarches out a bit and finally raise the vehicle especially at the rear a couple of inches = instant SUV, doesn't even need 4wd.

Ford destroyed their own market by fitting hopeless automatic gearboxes and failing (as usual) to stand by their product when it went wrong.

Ford B and C-Max set to die - thank goodness - corax

I go on to the good and bad section for most Ford models, and watch the cursor bar on the right of the screen get smaller and smaller as the long list of faults gets bigger and bigger.

The Mondeo doesn't seem too bad in that respect but it's too wide now. The Transit Connect current shape is very popular around here.

You'd think that Ford would have access to no end of talent in the field of marketing - yet the KA+ is a glaringly obvious missed opportunity.

The one thing a city car needs to be is NIPPY. Provided that you go for the bigger engine in each, the VW Up (and Citigo and Miii), the Hyundai i10 and (I believe though I haven't tried one) the Kia Picanto have this quality in spades, but the KA+ is too underpowered. Why on earth do Ford fit a different engine in this from the engine range in the Fiesta?

I know what you mean, and probably why my parents haven't changed their 10yo Fiesta 1.25 as yet (they can't afford a Jazz and my dad likes buying new and has always had Fords, even as company cars). Nice nippy little car.

Does anybody know what it is that classifies the C-Max as an MPV, whereas my Audi Q2 is an SUV?

About 10% price increase for the SUV? ;-) It's one of the reasons I was, in part, put off getting a Mazda CX-3 - without discounts, it was barely cheaper than the Mazda3 (which is larger, quicker and has a bit more toys), with discounts (brokers) it was £2k more expensive.

I think SUVs are more about styling; MPVs are more about interior space, especially in the boot where they (at least when I looked at some in the past) are more 'rectangular' and the SUVs have odd shapes (more sculpted exteriors) which means you can't fit so much in them for the same load area size.

Ford B and C-Max set to die - thank goodness - badbusdriver

Does anybody know what it is that classifies the C-Max as an MPV, whereas my Audi Q2 is an SUV? They're different from each other as any Ford and Audi are - but what they are designed for is not very different.

The only thing they have in common is a raised driving position. The C-Max, being an MPV is about maximising interior space, practicality and versatality.

The Q2, being an SUV, is about making car look a bit more butch, 'offroaderish', and most importantly, 'bang on trend'. Hinting at someone who does 'lifestyle' activities in their free time, strapping a mountain bike or kayak on the roof (just look at the ridiculous adverts for them). The MPV would be more likely to have Ikea boxes up there!.

Ford B and C-Max set to die - thank goodness - RT

Crossover (CUV) is the modern term for both MPVs and soft-road SUVs which have gradually morphed together into a single sector.