What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Boring used car advice - Westk

Hi all

I've posted on here before regards this but still looking and just wanting others opinion on this.

I've narrowed it down to two vehicle's either a Hyundai i40 diesel around 2016 or 2017 and a similar age Honda civic idtec.

The civic feels far higher quality and better to drive and the Hyundai drives just ok but doesn't feel anywhere near the quality.

The civics engine is far superior in every way

I've a 75 Mile commute all motorway and go to Europe every two or three months.

I reckon the civic

Appreciate your opinion

Thanks

Boring used car advice - FP

It sounds me to me as if you've answered your own question!

Boring used car advice - tight git

I suspect most will recommend the Civic here but the warranty on the Hyundai may be a factor worth considering.

Boring used car advice - gordonbennet

Isn't the i40 in the next higher size class? which may or may not be relevant to what you are looking for, but i would have thought i30 or Ceed to be Civic competitors.

Not driven either, from what i have read if considering manual boxes both can suffer with clutch issues, premature wear on i40 and juddering on Civic, also parking brake on i40 from what i recall though that may not be an issue for you.

Civic is likely to keep its value better in the long term.

Boring used car advice - SLO76
Condition and history being equal I’d have the Civic. It’s better on fuel and much easier to sell on when you’re done with it.

Edited by SLO76 on 25/03/2019 at 17:03

Boring used car advice - Westk

Hi thanks for the info.

I've put a deposit on a civic .

True about clutches on the early ones and the Hyundai warranty is better but fingers crossed my use is ideal for a diesel.

As with all modern cars we shall see lol- warranty will be taken !

Cheers

Boring used car advice - SLO76
It’s a good model, hopefully you’ve got a good example and it serves you well. Be careful buying a warranty though, most beyond manufacturer backed approved used are an utter waste of money.

Edited by SLO76 on 27/03/2019 at 14:33

Boring used car advice - skidpan

Used cars are very good for the beginners as they do not want to damage their new vehicle they purchase. In my opinion everyone should go for the used cars if they planning to buy new cars. I also got to know that xxxx are very cheap. So in that case you should go for that.

Another attempt at free advertising or possibly a link to some site that will kill your PC.

When will the people who manage this site stop these scum posting.

Edited by Avant on 27/04/2019 at 00:23

Boring used car advice - Engineer Andy

Used cars are very good for the beginners as they do not want to damage their new vehicle they purchase. In my opinion everyone should go for the used cars if they planning to buy new cars. I also got to know that ???? are very cheap. So in that case you should go for that.

Another attempt at free advertising or possibly a link to some site that will kill your PC.

The trouble is, as far as I've been made aware, is that as quickly as they ban someone, a new membership pops up under another name. Apart from banning IPs from specific countries (can this be done if you use a VPN?) - all people - I can't see what can be done on a small-scale website that doesn't have the finances of the likes of Microsoft, who themselves just go hacked (yep) and some details of their Outlook.com/Hotmail users nicked. I don't think they can afford 24/7 monitoring to spot and remove spam within a few minutes.

Boring used car advice - alan1302

Apart from banning IPs from specific countries (can this be done if you use a VPN?) -

That's one of the reasons for a VPN - no one will know where you actually are from and you can change where you say you are to suit a site.

Boring used car advice - alan1302

Used cars are very good for the beginners as they do not want to damage their new vehicle they purchase. In my opinion everyone should go for the used cars if they planning to buy new cars. I also got to know that xxxx are very cheap. So in that case you should go for that.

How do you suggest they do it?

Unless they have someone monitoring posts (which won't happen) all the time things like this will happen. Just ignore the post.

Edited by Avant on 27/04/2019 at 00:36

Boring used car advice - Andrew-T

Unless they have someone monitoring posts (which won't happen) all the time things like this will happen. Just ignore the post.

The obvious answer is for Skidpan to volunteer to help out Avant ?

Boring used car advice - skidpan

Surely its not an issue for the moderator. Its a Forum admin issue and HJ must have a company that is paid for doing that work. They are clearly not doing it.

Perhaps HJ should find a Forum provider that does a better job. Some I have been members of have been inundated with SPAM, others get very little. Whoever HJ uses is pretty poor. Those who are advertising what are illegal services should be stopped by whatever means possible. Perhaps the Home Office Fraud department could help with regard to fake passports, fake money etc.

Boring used car advice - Engineer Andy

Surely its not an issue for the moderator. Its a Forum admin issue and HJ must have a company that is paid for doing that work. They are clearly not doing it.

Perhaps HJ should find a Forum provider that does a better job. Some I have been members of have been inundated with SPAM, others get very little. Whoever HJ uses is pretty poor. Those who are advertising what are illegal services should be stopped by whatever means possible. Perhaps the Home Office Fraud department could help with regard to fake passports, fake money etc.

Often the amount of spam a forumwebsite gets is down to luck, how visible the forum is to the general public (i.e. how well known it is and comes up in Google searches) and how much money it invests in a firm/staffers to look after the site/security.

As I said before, and has been confirmed by Avant and HJ himself, the forum here is provided out of generocity by HJ and does not really generat much in the way of profits - the site is quite a small-scale one, and, unlike other 'mainstream media' motoring sites, is far more balanced and unbiased in its reviewing, which means it won't get the larger ad revenue those other ones get. I've seen this happen in entertainment, with film/TV websites shilling for the entertainment giants now called the 'access media' for good reason.

I'm sure HJ & Co would love to spend far more on 24/7IT coverage for the site, but I suspect they can't afford it. I also frequent one or two other motoring forums, but as they are very specific ones, they don't get targeted by the spammers. Sadly, once they do, they never cease, which normally leads to the forum closing. AT least here, the vast majority of the spam/spammers get removed, if not immediately.

Perhaps we need to have some 'mini-moderators', not like Avant, more like ordinary trusted forum members who can quietly report spam (without having to keeping emailing the IT support chappie every time) via a button only for that grade of forum member. Just a thought.

Boring used car advice - Heidfirst

or perhaps try reporting the post using the option below it? fair enough it doesn't stop the post appearing in the first place but if a moderator gets notified quickly then it can also be removed quickly.

Boring used car advice - Avant

That's what people do, Heidfirst - but it isn't necessary. A lot of spammers can be detected automatically and their posts deleted; some (probably about 10%) get through and I delete them.

This takes very little time. It takes longer when someone comments on a spammer and - worse - quotes the spam so that I have to edit that too.

JUST DON'T WORRY. Think - you sit at your computer. You see spam and rightly ignore it. What difference has it made to your life? None. So FORGET IT.

As the OP has now - following the good advice above - put down a deposit on a Civic, the thread has run its course, so I can close it.

Edited by Avant on 27/04/2019 at 00:39