What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Honda CR-V - Replacement / courtesy car for warranty repairs - paindoc

I am going to give in my 68 reg CR-V to the dealership for investigating the flickering infotainment screen problem (known issue with the 5th gen CR-V, there's even a service bulletin from Honda in North America, the service department here was not aware of the issue as there are only a very few 5th gen CR-V's sold yet).

The dealer offered me a replacement vehicle while my car is being looked into but with an insurance excess of £2500! Other option was that I arrange a fully comprehensive cover to drive other cars. Standard cover on my policy as has always been the case is that I can drive any other vehicle but the cover is restricted to third party only.

I have known people keeping courtesy cars off dealers while their car gets fixed/investigated under warranty and no insurance issues. Is this practice of a very high excess a standard practice? Or am I covered fully for driving the courtesy car as my car would be in the garage getting repaired and not on the road.

Thank you in advance.

Honda CR-V - Replacement / courtesy car for warranty repairs - Simon

I don't think any dealer still is actually obliged to provide you with transport whilst carrying out any repair, hence why they are known as 'courtesy' cars.

My best advice is - don't crash it!!!

Honda CR-V - Replacement / courtesy car for warranty repairs - bazza

Have had the same type of thing from main dealer fairly recently .Of course they are under no obligation, so it's take it or leave it. Fortunately we had other cars or motorbikes to use, so not really a problem. Maybe they can drop you off somewhere, they're usually quite helpful.

Thank you. I thought that because it's a manufacturer's defect issue, they may be obliged to provide a car. Thanks again.

Thanks

Honda CR-V - Replacement / courtesy car for warranty repairs - Falkirk Bairn

Aviva are the insurers of my CRV - standard on my Comprehensive Policy is driving cars on loan from garages & bodyshops when in for repair. Covered on the same terms as my own car -£350 excess.

I think that is terrific as my previous insurer wanted £10 per day..

I pay £172 / year which I find value - every other insurer under £230 was from companies I did not recognise/

Honda CR-V - Replacement / courtesy car for warranty repairs - skidpan

Aviva are the insurers of my CRV - standard on my Comprehensive Policy is driving cars on loan from garages & bodyshops when in for repair. Covered on the same terms as my own car -£350 excess.

Had Aviva for years and that has been a feature for as long as I can remember. But check the T & C's. Think it only covers you for 5 days which is fine for a simple mechanical fix but useless for a prolonged body fix.

I guess you could extend it if required for ££££'s

Honda CR-V - Replacement / courtesy car for warranty repairs - Cris_on_the_gas

Could you arrange Car Hire Insurance Excess Insurance. Annual policy is about £40 a year or about £20 for single trip.

Agree with previous post "don't crash"

Honda CR-V - Replacement / courtesy car for warranty repairs - bathtub tom

Had similar when my car was in for a recall. Didn't want to get into a 'that scratch wasn't there before' argument, so caught a bus.

That is what my worry is. Thanks

Yes that's a good idea. Thanks

Thanks

Thanks. That's a very good policy. Above was unfortunately very expensive for me. I am with LV. Thank you

Honda CR-V - Replacement / courtesy car for warranty repairs - focussed

Our Honda dealer that services our Accord in France has a lineup of old trade-ins, all old Hondas, Accords, Civics, Jazzes at the back of their car park that they lend out to customers.

No problem with insurance as all cars in france are insured for anybody to drive them.

You just put some fuel in them to bring the gauge back to where it was when you borrowed it.

Why does the UK insurance industry insist on this bizarre "who is insured to drive the car" pantomime?

Honda CR-V - Replacement / courtesy car for warranty repairs - jc2

My LV policy extends my standard cover to courtesy cars.In France "driver only" policies and "named driver" policies are available tho' not often offered.

My LV policy extends my standard cover to courtesy cars.In France "driver only" policies and "named driver" policies are available tho' not often offered.

Yes I'm well aware of those options, but the compulsory third-party element of the insurance whereby if necessary anybody can legally drive any car cannot be dispensed with..

Honda CR-V - Replacement / courtesy car for warranty repairs - Brit_in_Germany

Would you want to drive someone else's car on a third party only insurance though?

I've no idea what sort of insurance our Honda dealer has on his loan cars, I always check that the vignette is in the windscreen and the green card is in the glovebox along with the reg document. We never have to sign for the loan car.