What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
2018 Honda CRV 1.6 diesel Auto - Intermittent Loss of Power - Paul Cliff
I been having a loss of power in my Honda CRV the past few months.

It only seems to happen when I leave work to go home at night

I work on a steep hill, it only happens for a second or two then picks up speed again.

I try and drive aggressively and normally..... still the same.

Took it to Honda, they said they plugged it in and couldn’t see any faults.

They should drive it really and is becoming annoying for a new car.

Car has only 8k miles since last April.

Any help?
2018 Honda CRV 1.6 diesel Auto - Intermittent Loss of Power - Falkirk Bairn

Put in some Shell V-power & give it an Italian tune up after the car is heated up.

2018 Honda CRV 1.6 diesel Auto - Intermittent Loss of Power - daveyjp

8,000 miles a year isn't a lot of miles for a diesel. I did similar in my last diesel and after 18 months it was dying a slow death.

If you are doing lots of short trips it may well need a chance to stretch it's legs on a decent run.

2018 Honda CRV 1.6 diesel Auto - Intermittent Loss of Power - gordonbennet

So, as i read it, you leave work and have to climb a decent hill a few seconds later, correct?

I have no idea of the timing of glow plugs these days, but i wonder if the loss of power is happening at the moment the glow plugs switch off, so you arn't losing power as such just that the cleaner cold fuel burn helped by the warmth of those plugs is suddenly lost, more noticeable because you are using all the power to climb that hill.

Alternatively, it could be that the extra fuel injected when the engine is cold is cutting back to warm engine running at that point.

This is all theory of course and i am probably well off the mark, but it might an interesting experiment to let the engine run for a minute or two longer before starting your hill climb and see if there's any difference.

2018 Honda CRV 1.6 diesel Auto - Intermittent Loss of Power - focussed

Possible cause is cold lube oil, turbo a little reluctant to spool up and produce enough boost to allow more fuel injected, plus the load on the engine from the alternator just after a cold start, plus aircon if you are using it. And it's an auto box with cold fluid in it.

It's a wonder the poor little engine can drag the car out of the car park, it's only a little diddy 1.6 after all!

Edited by focussed on 08/03/2019 at 21:01