What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Advice on a second car - Benj1

Hi,

So I posted a while ago asking for advice on a second car (I already have a 2007 Honda Civic 1.8 petrol). I decided I'd just get another Honda Civic (same spec more or less).

However I'm now looking at spending around £4.5-5k and getting a 1.6 petrol Nissan Qashqai. (2009 roughly).

It'll just be for daily drives - so around 20/30 miles on country roads, and infrequently used for longer drives and on the motorway. It'll just be nicer to have the higher driving position and also not to have two of the same car really.

Just wondered what everyones thoughts are on the Nissan?

Advice on a second car - badbusdriver

£4.5-5k would get you into a Toyota RAV4 of around 2008 vintage. It has a higher driving position, higher than the Qashai, and it has the legendary reliability, (which the Qashqai doesn't), it isn't that big, not much more so than the Nissan (5mm longer, 35mm wider). I'm not saying the Qashqai wil be unreliable, and being a n/a 1.6 petrol, you are minimising the risk, but if it was my money, there are any number of other cars, including the RAV4 (with a higher driving position) that i'd take over the Qashqai.

£4.5-5k would get you into a Toyota RAV4 of around 2008 vintage. It has a higher driving position, higher than the Qashai, and it has the legendary reliability, (which the Qashqai doesn't), it isn't that big, not much more so than the Nissan (5mm longer, 35mm wider). I'm not saying the Qashqai wil be unreliable, and being a n/a 1.6 petrol, you are minimising the risk, but if it was my money, there are any number of other cars, including the RAV4 (with a higher driving position) that i'd take over the Qashqai.

Thanks for your response. I did actually look previously at the RAV4, but it was quite expensive to tax and seemed to be around 30mpg average as they're 2.0L. I'm probably looking for a smaller engine or one with a 6th gear like the Civic. I probably should have mentioned this in my opening post!

Advice on a second car - nellyjak

AS BBD says...there are many other vehicles I would choose over the Squashcow....just a Renault in fancy fatigues...certainly the Rav4 would be on my list.

AS BBD says...there are many other vehicles I would choose over the Squashcow....just a Renault in fancy fatigues...certainly the Rav4 would be on my list.

Oh! I just presumed Japanese + petrol = reliable!

What others would be on your list? Ideally with lower tax than £200 and around 40mpg average. (ambitious I know!)

Or even Honda Civic and Mazda3 alternatives?

Advice on a second car - SLO76
Ever since Renault effectively took control of Nissan quality and reliability took a nosedive. I’d look elsewhere.

A few alternatives to consider (in no particular order).

Ford C-Max 1.6 petrol. Your £5k could get you into a 2011 example (>80k miles).

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20190107371...1

Toyota Corolla Verso. Same reliability as the RAV4 but a more efficient 1.8. Also has 7 seats (though the rears would not be suitable for adults).

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20190122418...1

Mazda 5. Same idea as the Corolla Verso (7 seats), very reliable.

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20180622774...1

Honda FR-V. Slightly leftfield choice this, being a 6 seater with two rows of 3. Every bit as reliable as a Toyota.

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20190128437...1

Hyundai ix20/Kia Venga. If you want petrol engine and manual gearbox, these two would have to be 1.4 (89bhp). But if you are not too bothered about performance, could fit the bill nicely. Very tall cars, so don't be decieved into thinking they will be cramped due to the short overall length, they aren't. Note the Venga is a 2014 model and whilie the bottom of the range '1', has everything you need for a car like this.

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20190227536...1

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20190204458...1

Kia Soul. A bit of an oddball (and, perhaps because of this, a car i have a soft spot for!), but if you can live with its looks it is a useful, practical and reliable little pseudo SUV. Not as spacious as the others, but not cramped either. There are special edition versions with huge wheels which (apparently) ruin the ride, so i'd stick with one of less blingy examples, such as this 2012 bottom of the range car.

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20180926088...1

Suzuki SX4. A bit smaller again, but very very reliable. There are 4wd versions available, but i'm assuming that isn't needed in your case.

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20190129438...1

There may be others i've forgotten about(!), but all of the above have higher seating positions and shouldn't give any problems re reliability

A few alternatives to consider (in no particular order).

Ford C-Max 1.6 petrol. Your £5k could get you into a 2011 example (>80k miles).

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20190107371...1

Toyota Corolla Verso. Same reliability as the RAV4 but a more efficient 1.8. Also has 7 seats (though the rears would not be suitable for adults).

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20190122418...1

Mazda 5. Same idea as the Corolla Verso (7 seats), very reliable.

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20180622774...1

Honda FR-V. Slightly leftfield choice this, being a 6 seater with two rows of 3. Every bit as reliable as a Toyota.

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20190128437...1

Hyundai ix20/Kia Venga. If you want petrol engine and manual gearbox, these two would have to be 1.4 (89bhp). But if you are not too bothered about performance, could fit the bill nicely. Very tall cars, so don't be decieved into thinking they will be cramped due to the short overall length, they aren't. Note the Venga is a 2014 model and whilie the bottom of the range '1', has everything you need for a car like this.

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20190227536...1

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20190204458...1

Kia Soul. A bit of an oddball (and, perhaps because of this, a car i have a soft spot for!), but if you can live with its looks it is a useful, practical and reliable little pseudo SUV. Not as spacious as the others, but not cramped either. There are special edition versions with huge wheels which (apparently) ruin the ride, so i'd stick with one of less blingy examples, such as this 2012 bottom of the range car.

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20180926088...1

Suzuki SX4. A bit smaller again, but very very reliable. There are 4wd versions available, but i'm assuming that isn't needed in your case.

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20190129438...1

There may be others i've forgotten about(!), but all of the above have higher seating positions and shouldn't give any problems re reliability

Wow, thanks for this. The Hyundai ix20 is nice and not something I’d even looked at before! The C-Max I’d completely forgotten about too.

Edited by Benj1 on 28/02/2019 at 21:13

Advice on a second car - drd63
Each to their own of course but, why? Apart from driving position both of these cars seem similar. Why not just have one more exciting car?

Apart from driving position both of these cars seem similar.

Which two cars are you referring to?

Why not just have one more exciting car?

This is possibly the mother of all inexplicable statements. Do you really think that it would be better and more practical for any two car family to just have 'one more exiting car'?!.

What you have been sniffing!

Each to their own of course but, why? Apart from driving position both of these cars seem similar. Why not just have one more exciting car?

As the above user said, which two cars are you referring to? Can you also suggest an 'exciting' alternative for me? One that is capable of being a family car with low running costs and costs under £5k?

Advice on a second car - Glaikit Wee Scunner {P}

There was not an explanation of what type of second car you wanted or needed in your original post. We now know that you want a family car with low running costs and costs under £5k. If you are happy with your current Honda maybe buy an additional one?

Several families around my way have a pair of similar cars in the driveway.

There was not an explanation of what type of second car you wanted or needed in your original post. We now know that you want a family car with low running costs and costs under £5k. If you are happy with your current Honda maybe buy an additional one?

Several families around my way have a pair of similar cars in the driveway.

I was effectively asking for opinions on the 1.6 petrol Qashqai or offers of an alternative (same sitting position/size). Or an alternative for a 1.8 petrol Civic (same size). So ultimately cars in that same mould.

I'd describe these as family cars, but I appreciate this might not always be the case.

I'm also not against buying another Civic, but I just wanted to gather views on reliable alternatives.

Edited by Benj1 on 01/03/2019 at 13:40

Advice on a second car - drd63
Way the original post was written it sounded like you, personally wanted a second car. More on the lines of a car for commuting and something a bit more fun for the weekend. My mistake.
Advice on a second car - Engineer Andy

As the above user said, which two cars are you referring to? Can you also suggest an 'exciting' alternative for me? One that is capable of being a family car with low running costs and costs under £5k?

Unfortunately you aren't going to get an 'exciting drive' from a more high-sided car (MPVs/SUVs) without shelling a lot more money to buy or run them if you stick with a petrol engine, as they are by their design heavier and lesss aerodynamic than their hatchback brothers and sisters.

A car like a gen-2 Mazda3 1.6 would be a far better handling car, but it's not particularly quick (not terrible, just ok - I have a gen-1 car which is a bit quicker but more polluting and attracts a higher VED charge).

The problem you have is that more powerful versions will cost more to buy and run (lower mpg/higher VED and insurance), and to match your budget will have to be older cars, meaning they could suffer more reliability issues or need new parts sooner just through wear-and-tear (age).

On a budget, you can''t have everything - it means you're going to have to compromise, and if the money's tight, then you really need to go for reliability/hardiness first, then comfort before worrying about a particularly sporty drive. Whatever you do, don't get a diesel - as has been said, keep it simple - saving on repair bills normally far outweighs a slightly higher fuel and VED bill.

If you want a REALLY exciting car, then you could always get one with dodgy brakes! Just kidding. :-) Best of luck.

Advice on a second car - SLO76
Tall car with high seating position, loads of space that’s great to drive with a big dose of fun thrown in? A Ford S-Max 2.5T with that lovely and very robust Volvo 5cyl lump. £4K is enough and it leaves money to fund the 25mpg thirst.