What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
When the default answer doesn’t fit - SLO76
I’m not one to criticise the site often but among the latest Ask HJ’s responses I found this one.

“Which small-medium sized car would you recommend as a local taxi? Hybrids are expensive so I'm thinking a petrol, with no DMF and chain driven. Better if it is non-turbo too but that isn't a deal breaker and MPG should be reasonably good.”

To which HJ answered by telling them to buy a Mazda CX-3 auto or a Honda Jazz 1.5 neither of which would be a sensible taxi or qualify with any local authority I know of. Odd reply I thought.

I’d’ve pointed them towards a nearly new Toyota Auris Hybrid Estate which is proving very popular as a taxi thanks to its proven running gear and economy. They’re not hugely costly for a hybrid and there’s none of the usual diesel reliability woe to worry about.

When the default answer doesn’t fit - badbusdriver

That is an odd couple of suggestions. The CX-3 is one of the fe SUV's that i like the look of, but it is not especially spacious, either in the cabin or the boot. The Jazz certainly is spacious, for it's size, more spacious than the Mazda, but it is a small car. Furthermore the 1.5 engine is only available with the sport trim. I'd imagine a taxi's needs would be better served by something with a torque rich engine and cushy suspension, neither of which the Jazz has. Granted, the person asking the question he/she would prefer non turbo, but goes on to say it wouldn't be a deal breaker.

Our local authority had a stipulation that all private hire vehicles had to be 1600cc or above which was really out of date and a quick check reveals they’ve only just changed this to allow smaller engines cars so an Auris 1.2T May be an option in certain areas. The rules on interior dimensions would I believe rule out a Jazz or a CX-3 but who’d want a supermini based car as a taxi anyway?

Another utterly daft rule requires any car to be less than 4yrs old when registered as a taxi and it has to come out of service by 7yrs. This was written by someone with zero understanding of cars. Why can’t a well looked after used family car such as my 9yr old Avensis be a taxi? This puts huge additional costs onto the taxi trade who now have to buy a new or nearly new car and suffer huge depreciation costs when a good older family sized car would’ve done the job fine. Why is there an age requirement at all when they all have to pass an MOT and taxi test anyway?

Edited by SLO76 on 24/02/2019 at 10:22

When the default answer doesn’t fit - Andrew-T
Why can’t a well looked after used family car such as my 9yr old Avensis be a taxi?

When we visited the Azores about 15 years ago, many of the taxis had been pensioned off from the Portuguese mainland, and still in the Lisbon livery, often with about half a million Km on the clock. I think some cabs on Crete are similar. It's all a matter of keeping them going. as you say.

But on those outer islands passengers are probably less fussy about what the interior looks like.

When the default answer doesn’t fit - skidpan

To which HJ answered by telling them to buy a Mazda CX-3 auto or a Honda Jazz 1.5 neither of which would be a sensible taxi or qualify with any local authority I know of. Odd reply I thought

Agree its another totally daft answer by the Honest John office.

But equally why doesn't the Taxi Driver asking the original question use their common sense and look at cars themselves and form their own opinion, its not that difficult surely.

it has to come out of service by 7yrs

Round these parts many years ago all the Taxis were total nails (mostly old Cortinas and Princesses) and when the Council appointed a new licensing officer his first task was to inspect them and take them off the road. This caused much upset. The drivers replaced them with a fleet of new FSO's which after a couple of years were in a worse state than the Cortinas and Princesses. Thankfully times have moved on and all the local cabs are perfectly presentable but some are older than 7 years.

But surely the best answer from Honest John would have been to suggest the Taxi drivers favourites which seem to be Octavias or if wheelchair access is needed modified Berlingo/Partner or Doblo.

But is this version of Honest John actually in the UK? A few weeks ago one version of Honest John seemed to be answering questions from the far east (and not London).

Edited by Avant on 02/03/2019 at 12:45

Taxi firms around here almost always used to buy used cars. New cars became almost valueless instantly once they started a hard life on a taxi fleet so to buy new was madness. Some of them covered massive mileages before being retired or scrapped but maintained correctly they could be perfectly safe. This time bar also locks a lot of people who’ve poor credit out of the trade too.

One thing I’ve noticed recently is that taxi plates are no longer screwed onto the bumper but stuck on so they can be removed without causing noticeable damage. Several drivers are using new prestige motors like the latest top of the line Volvo’s and Jag XF diesels which is madness to me and a reminder to all to be wary of buying a heavy mileage used exec that may not be what you expect. Even well maintained a taxi interior lives a hard life and few are maintained at main dealers due to the cost.
When the default answer doesn’t fit - edlithgow

But is this version of Honest John actually in the UK? A few weeks ago one version of Honest John seemed to be answering questions from the far east (and not London).

Everybody has to be somewhere.

As I understand it, HJ has family in Thailand.

Can't see why this would disqualify him (or anyone) from commenting on the UK automotive scene.

When the default answer doesn’t fit - Andrew-T

<< Everybody has to be somewhere. As I understand it, HJ has family in Thailand.

Can't see why this would disqualify him (or anyone) from commenting on the UK automotive scene. >>

I suspect there may be more than one HJ, if not concurrently, then consecutively - in fact I would think it needs more than one to maintain the 'column'. I still have the first four omnibus editions from 1997 onwards, where HJ tells us that he bought his first car in 1964, going on to suggest that he was then 16. The images on the cover changed over time, and don't look like the same person to me.

When the default answer doesn’t fit - Engineer Andy

<< Everybody has to be somewhere. As I understand it, HJ has family in Thailand.

Can't see why this would disqualify him (or anyone) from commenting on the UK automotive scene. >>

I suspect there may be more than one HJ, if not concurrently, then consecutively - in fact I would think it needs more than one to maintain the 'column'. I still have the first four omnibus editions from 1997 onwards, where HJ tells us that he bought his first car in 1964, going on to suggest that he was then 16. The images on the cover changed over time, and don't look like the same person to me.

HJ does not need to work in his firm's UK office to 'maintain' his weekly column. Yes, he will rely on colleagues and their webmaster to upload reports, his column, etc, but others writing his agony column - I seriously doubt it. He personally responded to q uery I raised the other day.

Don't forget that the interweb, and email/skype in particular, means people can easily work remotely these days.

When the default answer doesn’t fit - craig-pd130

A slight tangent here, but Toyota (or at least the UK dealers) seem to have made a subtle shift in how they market the Prius, Auris etc.

I saw a promotional vehicle outside our local Tesco with the words 'SELF CHARGING HYBRID' emblazoned on its flanks, which I thought was quite a canny way to refresh the message.

HJ does not need to work in his firm's UK office to 'maintain' his weekly column. Yes, he will rely on colleagues and their webmaster to upload reports, his column, etc, but others writing his agony column - I seriously doubt it.

I personally don't care less where in the world or who in reality Honest John is but since this is a UK site the answers should be relevant to the person in the UK who asks it.

There was an question on this forum a few weeks (months ago) that was answered by "Honest John" and in the post it was made clear that this particular "Honest John" was in Thailand (I seem to remember) and the answer given was not in any way relevant to anyone living in the UK. I sent a query about this at the time and did not get an answer.

Posters from outside the UK are regularly reminded that this is a UK forum and its unlikely we can give a correct answer to their local situation. So why is Honest John giving answers to UK queries (OK, its only 2 in several months) that have little relevance to the UK

When the default answer doesn’t fit - Avant

HJ is indeed a person - I've met him - who has family in Thailand so spends some of his time there, but most of it in England.

He uses examples from Thailand, notably the Honda Jazz / Fit that he runs there, to illiustrate his answers, but as far as I know his answers are directed to people living in the UK unless a questioner says they don't.

He uses examples from Thailand, notably the Honda Jazz / Fit that he runs there, to illiustrate his answers,

That proves my point surely. They might use the Jazz as a taxi in Thailand but yet to see one in the UK.

Totally irrelevant answer for the OP.

Just looked for the other example but cannot find it.

He uses examples from Thailand, notably the Honda Jazz / Fit that he runs there, to illiustrate his answers,

That proves my point surely. They might use the Jazz as a taxi in Thailand but yet to see one in the UK.

Totally irrelevant answer for the OP.

Just looked for the other example but cannot find it.

Why don't you set up and run a website? You seem to think you're the font of all motoring knowledge.

When the default answer doesn’t fit - fredthefifth

HJ freqently doesnt answer the question. Decided to try and find an example and the first one I looked at was such a case.

www.honestjohn.co.uk/askhj/answer/120257/can-i-cla...s-

When the default answer doesn’t fit - Pondlife

Why don't you set up and run a website? You seem to think you're the font of all motoring knowledge.

Just because someone wants a better bus driver doesn't mean they want to drive the bus themselves.

Just because someone wants a better bus driver doesn't mean they want to drive the bus themselves.

By that analogy, I don't think it's a good idea when someonecontinually uses a free bus service, then every time they use the bus, they loudly have a go at the driver in front of all the other passengers for (in their opinion) their driving style when there are othe bus services available, and many other passengers believe that the driver does a fine job in the main and no-one's perfect.

When the default answer doesn’t fit - dan86

By that analogy, I don't think it's a good idea when someonecontinually uses a free bus service, then every time they use the bus, they loudly have a go at the driver in front of all the other passengers for (in their opinion) their driving style when there are othe bus services available, and many other passengers believe that the driver does a fine job in the main and no-one's perfect.

( tongue-in-cheek comment)

You can't have ridden many London buses then.

Edited by dan86 on 07/03/2019 at 13:10

Actually I have, many times, including one 'memorable ride' with one nutcase (not bbd) driver who got ticked off at a colleague overtaking him and so had a race going into High Barnet town centre with the bus trying to re-overtake the other at 60+mph on the wrong side of the road in the morning rush hour.

When the default answer doesn’t fit - dan86

Actually I have, many times, including one 'memorable ride' with one nutcase (not bbd) driver who got ticked off at a colleague overtaking him and so had a race going into High Barnet town centre with the bus trying to re-overtake the other at 60+mph on the wrong side of the road in the morning rush hour.

Juts one of the reason I don't like public transport.

I've used buses in other locations around the UK and other countries but nothing compairs to London bus drivers.

When the default answer doesn’t fit - edlithgow

You have all the luck. I lived in London for a decade and nothing as exciting as that happened on the buses.

I'd guess this was one of the sporty aluminium-bodied Lancaster bomber-derived Routemasters? The modern ones probably don't have the handling.

You have all the luck. I lived in London for a decade and nothing as exciting as that happened on the buses.

I'd guess this was one of the sporty aluminium-bodied Lancaster bomber-derived Routemasters? The modern ones probably don't have the handling.

No - actually it was a single decker newer bus (at the time) from around 1998-99.

When the default answer doesn’t fit - gordonbennet

No - actually it was a single decker newer bus (at the time) from around 1998-99.

Would that have been a Dennis Dart i wonder, they could accelerate at a fair old rate of knots.

When the default answer doesn’t fit - badbusdriver

I did think for a minute this was directed at me! ........... :-(