What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Toyota Corolla - Trying to compare two very similar cars - DavidS1

I’m looking for some general advice on how to compare to slightly different versions of a Toyota Corolla but I'm having trouble deciding which direction to go in.

Car A

————

£8000

36,000 miles

Includes full service history

MOT

August 2016 - 18,600miles - Pass

September 2017 - 26,829 miles - tyres near legal limit - Pass

September 2018 - 34,708 miles - Pass

Car B

————

£6500

45,000miles

12 month warranty

Does have scratches on left and right rear sides of the vehicle and a small scratch 1cm on the wind screen.

MOT

March 2015 - 27,436 miles - 1 cm windscreen crack - Pass

January 2016 - 36,355 miles - Pass

December 2016 - 39,444 miles - Pass

December 2017 - 42,330 miles - Pass

Is there an obvious choice?

Toyota Corolla - Trying to compare two very similar cars - Andrew-T

Not really, pay your money, take your choice. Compare the state of the interiors. Ask whether the scratches you mention could be removed with change from the £1500 you have saved. It seems the dearer car may have been cherished a bit more?

Toyota Corolla - Trying to compare two very similar cars - lucklesspedestrian

Hang on, I'n confused, I didn't think there was a Toyota Corolla imported into this country in 2012/13?

Toyota Corolla - Trying to compare two very similar cars - SLO76

Hang on, I'n confused, I didn't think there was a Toyota Corolla imported into this country in 2012/13?

Assuming it’s an Auris.

Edited by SLO76 on 24/01/2019 at 09:27

Sorry my bad! Thanks for clearing things up SLO76 - I've been researching / overthinking too much lately I'm starting to mix myself up!

I agree about the more expensive car being looked after which is kind of making me think although it may cost more now it might pay off in the long run, don't get me wrong both look great overall but being a new buyer/inexperienced I'm tempted to play things as safe as I can.

Toyota Corolla - Trying to compare two very similar cars - Avant

If the newer car has full service history and the other doesn't, then it's worth every penny of the extra. Even more so if the older one hasn't got a current MoT.

Toyota Corolla - Trying to compare two very similar cars - madf

Make a list of features you want and MUST have- and score each car..

Then look at the other pros and cons.. Eg does each car have a full Toyota Service History..? The 5 year warranty will have expired on both I think.

Toyota Corolla - Trying to compare two very similar cars - bazza

How many owners each? Where are they for sale, Toyota dealer fsh and used car 1 year warranty is bombproof. Otherwise, car 1 looks slightly better bet on the face of it. Ful history on an auris, not much to worriy about, mileage is low on both. Think there was a facelift in 2013 and later car handles and drives a bit sharper. We have an old Corolla it's been through last 8 mots with no more than routine maintenance, it's 15 years old now, so they're very well put together.

I did mention that to the salesman he said even although it doesn't currently have an MOT it will have one included in the purchase, it does seem strange though, unless they are possibly trying to hide something?

I did mention that to the salesman he said even although it doesn't currently have an MOT it will have one included in the purchase, it does seem strange though, unless they are possibly trying to hide something?

Perfectly normal for a dealer to leave putting an Mot on a car until it’s sold. Wouldn’t be concerned about it. The important factors are condition, service history and how long the previous owner had it. Look for longterm ownership which signifies the car was liked and be wary of anythingvthats been owned only a short time. The petrol Auris is generally very robust but watch for worn clutches (popular with old biddies, no offence) and lacquer peel and fading paint on body. Paintwork was a bit below par on this gen for some reason but metallics are best usually.
Toyota Corolla - Trying to compare two very similar cars - Engineer Andy

Petrol or diesel? I'd be wary of the second car if it were a diesel as its only done 3k of mileage pa for the past 3 years (as opposed to 8k pa [not great, but better]), and could be storing up DPF problems. I suspect they're both petrols though, but just wanted to make sure.

Both are petrols as you suspected :) It wasn't intentional but at the same time I don't feel like I know enough about diesels, so happy to stick to petrol for now.

Edited by DavidS1 on 24/01/2019 at 23:20

Both are petrols as you suspected :) It wasn't intentional but at the same time I don't feel like I know enough about diesels, so happy to stick to petrol for now.

Wise. Modern diesels are much more complex and thus more prone to expensive failures than an equivalent petrol. Keep it simple!