What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Ford Focus 1998 - Ford Sigma Engine - KenC

A friend has a 20 year old Ford Focus with the early Yamaha influenced Sigma engine, the engine has been a joy to own, does anyone know of this type of Yamaha developed engine is available in newer Focus Models ? If it is not can anyone advise when it was last used ( he wants a newer focus with the same robust engine)

Ford Focus 1998 - Ford Sigma Engine - SLO76
An excellent engine and believe it or not it’s still in use in modified form in the new Ka. It was effectively replaced by the troublesome 1.0 Ecoboost but you can find plenty of later pre-facelift Mk III’s with the 1.6 and later pre and facelifted 1.6 Ecoboost which is essentially the same motor with a turbocharger bolted on. Don’t touch the 1.0’s they’re pretty notorious.
Ford Focus 1998 - Ford Sigma Engine - jc2

From what I have read the new version in the KA+ is not quite as pleasant as the previous version-it now has VVT as used on the 1.7 Sigma.-other than that I'm on my fourth Fiesta with the 1.24 engine-well pleased.

Ford Focus 1998 - Ford Sigma Engine - KenC
An excellent engine and believe it or not it’s still in use in modified form in the new Ka. It was effectively replaced by the troublesome 1.0 Ecoboost but you can find plenty of later pre-facelift Mk III’s with the 1.6 and later pre and facelifted 1.6 Ecoboost which is essentially the same motor with a turbocharger bolted on. Don’t touch the 1.0’s they’re pretty notorious.

So is the facelift mk 111 focus with the 1.6 eco boost the same 4 cylinder Sigma engine ?
I know there has been a lot of oroblems with the 1.0 ecoboost engines which I believe are 3 cylinder?

“So is the facelift mk 111 focus with the 1.6 eco boost the same 4 cylinder Sigma engine ?
I know there has been a lot of oroblems with the 1.0 ecoboost engines which I believe are 3 cylinder?”

Yes, the 1.6 Ecoboost is especially the old Yamaha designed motor reworked and turbocharged. It’s a good unit with plenty of pull, good reliability and only a relatively minor drop in economy on the road. Not that common though unlike the non-turbocharged versions. Be wary of the 85PS base model 1.6 Edge which is utterly gutless but again quite rare, most had the more powerful version.

Only issue with the 1.6 Ecoboost is that it usually comes in top spec models with daft fat ultra low profile tyres which ruin the ride. The normal Zetec is the best compromise.

The 1.0 has a terrible reputation for failure and is best avoided despite what salesmen will tell you. Funny enough this very subject has popped up with a neighbour I recommend a Fiesta to a few years back. I told him to get the 1.25/1.4 Zetec but he allowed himself to be talked into a 1.0 Ecoboost which is currently lying immobile at the dealer he bought it from with a knackered engine while they try to source a used motor for it.

Edited by SLO76 on 08/01/2019 at 19:36

“Yes, the 1.6 Ecoboost is especially the old Yamaha designed motor ”

Essentially...

b***** predictive text!
Ford Focus 1998 - Ford Sigma Engine - jc2

Turn it off then!