What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Ford Focus ST - Ford Focus ST Petrol 2016 onwards - paul mack
I currently drive a Kia Cee’d GT 204 BHP Petrol which I bought new in March 2016 and am / have been extremely happy with it.

I am considering a change to the Focus ST Petrol and am wanting to ask if any of you Petrol heads out there own a Ford Focus ST Petrol 2016 and beyond?

If yes, please can you give your own honest opinion (warts and all) of how the car has been from running costs to comfort, performance, reliability etc etc.

I appreciate your thoughts and advice.

Many thanks

Paul

Happy New Year to all
Ford Focus ST - Ford Focus ST Petrol 2016 onwards - SLO76
I really rate them, to me it’s the best family hot hatch for the money by a mile. My old gaffer had both a pre-facelift ST and a Mk VII Golf GTi and the ST was the more aggressive and entertaining drive plus it was far more reliable never giving any grief at all despite his exuberant driving style and later 300bhp remap which was actually pointless as it was too much for any front wheel drive car.

The Golf GTi by comparison felt more refined and comfortable, a bit of a high speed express but it was never fun not in the way the ST was. It was also plagued by faults including master cylinder failure at less than 50,000 miles and numerous minor electrical issues. I’ve never met anyone who was unhappy with an ST.

Buy a post-facelift model, pay extra for an approved used example with full Ford service history including proof of annual oil changes and not every two years and the chain driven Mazda designed 2.0 Ecoboost motor should give no grief. You need to keep it maintained by the dealer for any recalls and to be sure any relevant technical bulletins and software updates have been carried out.

Also check that the service record is genuine by calling the dealer who supposedly did it. Don’t call the number on the stamp, look it up yourself and call. You’d be amazed at how much of a problem faked service histories are. My old gaffer faked the history on his, he did it himself then stamped the book with a stamp he made up himself! Another friend has never serviced her lease cars, she gets a pal who works at a large main dealer nearby to stamp it just before she hands it back, I pity the poor sod who gets them next.

Fast Ford’s are easy to sell on again if you keep it standard and don’t ruin it with mods. Keep it correctly maintained and it’ll be fun and reliable but don’t scrimp or do it on the cheap and remember these are a bit greedy with early 30’s to the gallon the norm day to day and worse if you’ve a lead foot. My pals trip computer is usually showing high 20’s whenever I check it.

The only issue I see here is the price you’ll get for your Cee’d if you own it and plan on part-exchanging as high spec examples absolutely plummet in value.

Edited by SLO76 on 31/12/2018 at 17:53

Ford Focus ST - Ford Focus ST Petrol 2016 onwards - paul mack
Excellent feedback, really helpful points here, thank you.

I note and understand your comment re the p/e on my Cee’d GT, it is in first class condition with full service history etc, but as we all know, depreciation is the enemy for all owners of privately owned cars.

I nearly bought the ST before the Cee’d, but the price difference of £4K (at the time) was a deal clincher.

Thanks again for your reply, it is appreciated.

Paul