What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Ford Focus on 59 plate - Programming key fob - Supertramp

We have a 2009 Focus, the battery went flat in one of the remotes, we replaced it now the car won't recognise the fob.

Checked the ops manual it describes in great detail how to do it by putting the key in the ignition and turning it on 6 or 8 times.

So I dug the plastic cover off, found a plastic (not a steel one) ignition barrel with a slot for the key. But it will not turn. So what do i do?

I put the fob down beside the ignition barrel and it sensed the the microchip and started on the button.

Ford Focus on 59 plate - Programming key fob - csgmart

As well as trying to turn the key have you tried turning the steering wheel from left to right (or vice versa) at the same time?

yes, tried that as well.......its as if its simply a receptacle for the key......you can't feel any of the detents..........what i did wonder is if there's more to take off - like a plastic shield over the lock, but it would need a bit of force and I thought the whole idea was that it was an easy alternative in the unlikely event....

Have you owned the car from new? I wonder if the key is from another car (with the chip transferred over)?

we've had it for about 5 years i guess.....the key fobs both have always worked before, we changed them as soon as the message flashed on the dash that the battery was low......however this time we didn't.....and we are trying to avoid going to a dealer and paying their rate for what "should" be a simple procedure

Does the key work in any other locks such as the door or boot?

If it does it would suggest the fault lies with the ignition barrel.

Ford Focus on 59 plate - Programming key fob - elekie&a/c doctor

Is the key battery a good quality product? There is loads of rubbish out there. Does the car lock and unlock from the key fob buttons and the exterior door handle buttons? I think you will find that the ignition barrel will only turn if you have your foot on the brake,and/or the clutch pedal. As a last resort,you may have confused the system. Disconnect the main car battery for 10 mins.

So all the keys that we have unlock the doors. None of them work in the ignition.

This is a pic of the said ignition barrel, as i have said it appears to be nothing more than a key receptacle, when i push the key in it does not feel like it should in a normal steel barrel

What annoys me is the fact that Ford do not put anything in their ops manual about this

[img]i.ibb.co/6bdWr54/Focus-ignition-lock-2.jpg[/img]

Ford Focus on 59 plate - Programming key fob - FiestaOwner

To the OP. I don't think you've made it clear in your posts that your car has Keyless Ignition! I think some of the replies have been from people who have assumed that your car has a conventional keyed ignition.

Have looked about online and found that other owners have had the same issue. From what I understand, the plastic ignition barrels don't turn. Some cars have metal ones which do turn.

Try buying good quality batteries for the remote fobs (not pound shop ones!). Are you positive the batteries are the correct voltage and not just the correct physical size? Are you positive the batteries are in the fobs the right way round? Apparently some owners fit them upside down, although they are absolutely convinced they are the right way round.

Please post to let us know how you get on.

Ohh, my apologies, I didn't realise there was a difference even after reading the OPs manual.

However I will double check the battery, surprisingly the 2nd battery I bought I am using in a Disco key fob without probs....but anyway i get your point totally.

Once again apologies for my lack of product knowledge