What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Volkswagen Golf 2012 Mark 6 - Possible problems - wantstolearn

Looking at 2 Golf 2012 s with a 1.6 TDi diesel engines approx 70,000 miles on clock. Priced around £6,500.

Leaving aside petrol v diesel is there anything to be wary of with these cars. Any advice welcome.

Volkswagen Golf 2012 Mark 6 - Possible problems - elekie&a/c doctor
Yes, the 1.6 tdi diesel is notoriously troublesome. I would avoid .

What if I can find a petrol model - not many about ? Any comments on auto system with that car ?

Volkswagen Golf 2012 Mark 6 - Possible problems - landmarked

Golf MK6 is terrible for reliability, especially with Diesel and especially with auto (DSG)

They are also just coming up to the age where big bills start to hit.

Volkswagen Golf 2012 Mark 6 - Possible problems - elekie&a/c doctor
Not good times this age of Vw. The petrols suffer timing chain issues and the Dsg box can be very on and off for reliability. All expensive fixes when they go wrong. Go for a different maker.
Volkswagen Golf 2012 Mark 6 - Possible problems - SLO76
Honda Civic or Mazda 3 are both far better cars regarding reliability and full life running costs. I wouldn’t buy a Golf of this vintage especially with the 1.6 diesel, the DSG box or an early chain driven TSi petrol.
Volkswagen Golf 2012 Mark 6 - Possible problems - bazza

A neighbour has just been through a rather fraught experience with the near identical Leon 1 6 TDI , bought a few years old, all sorts of cooling, heating and water pump, possible EGR issues. There are much better options about.

Thanks everyone. Crossed golf off the list.

Upper budget to 10 thousand. Looking at Hyundai i ix 20 post 2015 facelift. Know auto is thirsty but quite fancy it.

Advice appreciated.

Nothing much wrong with the Hyundai but a Mazda 3 would be nicer to drive and better on fuel plus easier to sell when you’re finished with it, ditto a Honda Civic 1.8 auto.

Auto Trader:

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20180914050...8

Auto Trader:

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20181010134...3

Edited by SLO76 on 27/12/2018 at 00:53

Cheers. Thanks for two informative links.

I will look for these locall, Beverley area. Evans Halshaw move me closer looks helpful. Any experience s. , good or bad.

Don’t commit to anything without viewing it first. Sales staff will always talk up the condition of any car in stock and it could be a right mess in reality. It’s well worth a days travel to look yourself even with approved used stock which is often not as well prepared as it should be.

Many smaller autos like these are owned by elderly drivers who often have minor scuffs and bumps which are all too often poorly repaired and quickly became tatty. We almost always had to carry out paint repairs to them before putting them on display, this needs to be done properly.

If it must be an auto then Japanese is definitely the way to go. I’d favour the Civic and the 3 but a Toyota Auris 1.6/1.2T CVT will no doubt be utterly reliable too if a bit dull.

Thanks for the practical advice. It is helping me learn, which is what I want to do !