What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Ford Fiesta ST - MK6 - MK6 ST - Strange sound at biting point (Video/Sou) - Jon_T

Hello people,

For a little while now I appear to be hearing this really strange low pitch humming / rubbing sound when pulling off / when the clutch is raised to the biting point.

The sound occurs mostly in first gear, but does also happen when going through the gears (I.e letting out the clutch when changing from 2nd to 3rd etc..). The sound only seems to occur when I raise the clutch to the biting point.

The odd thing is, the sound does not occur all the time, some days it will be constantly happening when pulling off, other days it may occur a few times or even not at all.

I've had it looked at, but they cannot seem to diagnose the issue obviously without stripping the car. The sound does not seem to be affecting performance, as the clutch has been tested for slippage and it came back fine.

I have a link to a video that I captured of the noise (Sound occurs around 0:03 of the video) Turn your volume up

Video: www.youtube.com/watch?v=OcyeinZZ0TY&in...

What do you think? Any help would be appreciate.

Thanks.

Ford Fiesta ST - MK6 - MK6 ST - Strange sound at biting point (Video/Sou) - skidpan

How you expect us to diagnose a problem watching a youtube video when a mechanic cannot diagnose it when stood next to it is beyond me.

Find a different mechanic.

Ford Fiesta ST - MK6 - MK6 ST - Strange sound at biting point (Video/Sou) - Oli rag
There’s a chance it’s the release bearing noisy, but without stripping and checking it’s impossible to prove. If you don’t want to have the gearbox out to check you’ll just have to live with it.
Ford Fiesta ST - MK6 - MK6 ST - Strange sound at biting point (Video/Sou) - Jon_T

Thanks Oli.

Yeah I've arranged for it to be stripped. I've put up with it for a few months and I've now had enough (The sound has become more regular), so hopefully it's a minor-ish issue.

I do not expect anyone to diagnose the problem watching a video, I just asked for thoughts. Would it have been better to describe the sound using letters instead?

Nice way to welcome a new member btw.