What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Octavia Estate - Stick with petrol/diesel or change to hybrid? - terry mac

Would appreciate some help/advice on my intended next buy. I'll just start by saying that I am not mechanically, nor technically, minded in the car department; as long as it gets me from A to B in one piece, economically, then its OK for me. I am not into too many gadgets, in car entertainment/satnav's etc are wasted on me although the latest car, and van, have cruise control, and stop/start. I am also not in the habit of regularly changing vehicles, this intended buy will be the 3rd in the last 15 years.

I will be moving from France to Portugal next year but with the recent news about phasing out diesel, then petrol, and the emphasis on hybrid & electric through much of Europe I've started to think ahead about a new car as fuel types can have an impact on import taxes etc,etc. I currently have 2 vehicles, a petrol Octavia estate and a diesel Ford Transit Custom Kombi and have now found that only a large estate type will be needed as the 9 seater Kombi is hardly used these days.

At the moment there is only a matter of a few cents difference in petrol & diesel here in France whereas in Portugal petrol the difference is around 15 cents, and whilst France are going to stop the sale of new diesel cars by 2020 and then gradually phase out fuel driven cars over the next 20 odd years, there are no plans in Porugal to follow suit in the near future.

Because I will be living in the country I will occasionally encounter uneven, cobbled, roads often narrow and I started to think about a 4x4 type vehicle. I started with types like the Landcruiser but swiftly moved away as they seem to be built more for off road, plus they are quite thirsty. I then started to look at something more like the Kodiaq (4x4) and put that on the possible list with reservations because of the diesel only.

I'm now seriously think hybrid, not just for the economy of running the vehicle but with the gradual phasing out of diesel/petrol cars I'd like to get on board before prices start to spiral. It's already noticeable that in France new petrol car prices have increased quite a bit, along with hybrid & electric, whilst diesels have decreased a little.

I cover around 8 000 km a year ( about 5K in English money), the majority is short shopping trips of 25km , whilst there will be about 4 000 km a year involving motorway on long trips, one of which is a round trip of 2 500km.

Ideally I want economy, plus 60mpg, plenty of boot space, comfort, be eco friendly if possible. Also the vehicle is to be new, or under 1 year old max, with a budget of up to 25K sterling, 30K at a stretch.

At the moment I have 3 vehicles on a shortlist (Kodiaq, Mitsubishi PHEV, and a Hybrid Toyota Auris Sports Tourer) but would welcome additional possibilities, or comments on whether I should indeed change, or simply stick with the Octavia and take pot luck with future legislation.

Octavia Estate - Stick with petrol/diesel or change to hybrid? - NARU

I'd stick with the Octavia until things become clearer.

Octavia Estate - Stick with petrol/diesel or change to hybrid? - oldroverboy.

Sounds like you need a Dacia Duster next year with the 1.3 petrol engine or a Superb estate 1.5 tsi.

Dacia if you want to spend less, superb if more/

Sounds like you need a Dacia Duster next year with the 1.3 petrol engine or a Superb estate 1.5 tsi.

Dacia if you want to spend less, superb if more/

interesting, i must admit i drool over the Superb estate despite not being really into a cars looks. however its just a big, handsome beast, the boot can host a six a side football match. the Duster i have ignored to be honest, but that's only because the french tend to look down their noses at them, but on hindsight maybe i should make my own mind up :-)

i'll give it a good look, many thanks for the tip

PS the french tend to turn their noses up at the duster but there are a fair number turning up on the road !

Edited by terry mac on 25/10/2018 at 09:09

have followed up your suggestion with the Duster but it s luggage space is a wee bit small for my needs because i'm thinking something with 1600 litres minimum. plus the petrol is a bit thirsty for my liking. the superb 1.5 tsi is around 55mpg (according to skoda's "official figures") which is only just below what i had in mind, and the boot is cavernous

NARU

that appears to be a very sensible option, and i had half come to that conclusion but :

1) perhaps it's a male menopausal thing but i'm getting a slight urge to change/update our car and i have a "need" to look at a new one.

2) importation to Portugal is slightly more complicated than here to France as they, along with Cyprus, impose import duties dependant on age, fuel & engine size, hence my thinking along the new hybrid route. being tight i want to keep the costs as low as possible, for example my octavia will cost around €600 in import duties, and a new hybrid zero but a small amount of VAT difference is payable because of the difference in VAT rates between France & Portugal, around €300.

my main fear is that by hanging onto the octavia, paying the import duties, its re-sale value will go down dramatically because i've found many portuguese are still very much into diesel because of the price at the pump, whereas here in France my car has barely lost any value since i bought it : a skoda dealer, here in france has offered me over 95% of the price i paid for it, just a depreciation of €750 over 30 months. he cannot lay his hands on enough 2nd hand petrol octavia estates, and has even got some RHD's on sale. my car now retails at €5000, or more, new today, an increase of over 25%.

Edited by terry mac on 25/10/2018 at 09:01

i am going to have to put this on hold because i've just received conflicting information from the customs guys in portugal about importing a hybrid vehicle. previous telephone discussions led me to believe that there was zero, or very very little, duty to pay on hybrid. however written confirmation to an email enquiry indicates that the import duty could be +€3000 because it has been calculated on a petrol 1.8 engine with low emissions of 82.

they have a simulator on their site to calculate duty but it only lists diesel or petrol, when i tried it i came to over €3000 selecting petrol and low emissions. i'm hoping the simulator is out of date and needs hybrid adding to it but if not then it looks as though the octavia estate has earned a reprieve.

many thanks for the input to date, and when i get any news i'll post because it could aid others

Octavia Estate - Stick with petrol/diesel or change to hybrid? - RT

Hybrids aren't that economical in real world terms - even the PHEVs are uneconomical once their short electric range is exhausted.

In the UK, hybrids and PHEVs wouldn't exist below supercar level if it weren't for the low tax theorogh BIK.

Hybrids aren't that economical in real world terms - even the PHEVs are uneconomical once their short electric range is exhausted.

In the UK, hybrids and PHEVs wouldn't exist below supercar level if it weren't for the low tax theorogh BIK.

i sort of had an inkling about that, i come round to thinking that they made sense in town but outside not so much. i reckon that the initial outlay to buy new would probably take a considerable number of years to be wiped out by fuel savings considering my low mileage.

Octavia Estate - Stick with petrol/diesel or change to hybrid? - Avant

I'd suggest you look at either the Octavia or Superb, both with the 1.5 petrol engine. On a long run you could get high 40s or even 50 mpg, and either can be had as a hatchback or an estate. If you want an SUV, you can have the same engine in a Skoda Karoq or Kodiaq, or the SEAT Ateca.

One other thought - the new Hyundai Kona Electric apparently has a realistic range of 250 miles. That's a lot better than other EVs although I don't know how it's priced in your part of the world. Plug-in hybrids generally seem too expensive, and as mentioned above, only make economic sense as company cars.

i have got to the bottom of the problem i was having with the duty. in the simulator, hybrids and plug-ins are well hidden down a long list that includes all manner of light vehicles, including vans, mini buses. i expected them to be high on the list bearing in mind their increasing demand.

armed with the relevant info i have come up with amounts between 1800 and 3500 euro's depending on type of vehicle +6 month old to import, so that option of buying new here is off the table.

many thanks for the comments, they've been very useful. the octavia estate has had a stay of execution

Octavia Estate - Stick with petrol/diesel or change to hybrid? - gordonbennet

I too would be sticking.

It's all very well apparatchiks making grand eco gestures from their ivory towers built on infinite piles of other peoples money, but grandstanding plan cans have a habit of being kicked down the road, Brexit a prime example, and recall how many people bought Diesel cars when encouraged by the politicians of the day.

The EU will be a completely different animal in a few years, and none of us can know what it will be.

I'd not be spending money to replace something still giving good service for the forseeable.

Edited by gordonbennet on 25/10/2018 at 12:18

Octavia Estate - Stick with petrol/diesel or change to hybrid? - madf

Whatever you buy now will be out of date and worth scrap value in 15 years time..

(anyone want a Mark 1 Toyota Prius? Nope)

Octavia Estate - Stick with petrol/diesel or change to hybrid? - galileo

Whatever you buy now will be out of date and worth scrap value in 15 years time..

Don't forget if electric cars become a sizeable proportion of cars on the road, whoever the Chancellor is will have to recoup the lost fuel duty and VAT with extra tax somehow.

I wouldn't bet on adequate (and reasonably priced) fast charging facilities being available anytime soon either.

Octavia Estate - Stick with petrol/diesel or change to hybrid? - RT

Don't forget if electric cars become a sizeable proportion of cars on the road, whoever the Chancellor is will have to recoup the lost fuel duty and VAT with extra tax somehow.

I wouldn't bet on adequate (and reasonably priced) fast charging facilities being available anytime soon either.

They're seriously considering "road pricing" in some form.

Octavia Estate - Stick with petrol/diesel or change to hybrid? - Vitesse6

"Hybrids aren't that economical in real world terms - even the PHEVs are uneconomical once their short electric range is exhausted."

I have a Toyota Auris estate hybrid. Over the last 10000 miles it has never dropped below 52 mpg real mpg not from the car computer and when on rural roads in France will go over 60mpg

Add to that no cam belts to worry about and to me that is economical motoring.

Octavia Estate - Stick with petrol/diesel or change to hybrid? - Big John

60+ mpg - a lot of the cars you are mentioning , little chance on that size of car

I like the Kodiac to drive but it is large and box shaped so even the diesel models won't be that econoical - real life economy mid 40's mpg. With your mileage I'd worry about a modern diesel as well.

Toyota hybrids can be economical but it depends on your driving conditions/style. They are at their best aroung town/urban/traffic. Brake pad/disk wear is good as a lot of braking is regenerative. If sat on the motorway they are not as economical. The Toyota Auris hybrid is a good car though - worth a try.

The Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV is a different beast. 4x4 as default with a motor drving the front axle and another driving the rear. The engine then can drive a generator and/or engage directly with the front axle at higher speeds (clutch but no gearbox). Great for smallish distances but rubbish at towing and not that economical when just running on petrol. However with 25km distances you may be able to just run on battery. If short distances very good though.

In real life the small VAG tsi engines are reasonably economically - not 60mpg though.

Octavia Estate - Stick with petrol/diesel or change to hybrid? - barney100

Mate just bought a new hybrid Rav, not cheap but Toyota seem to have developed a reliable hybrid system. If I was in for a hybrid Toyota would top my list. Who knows where fuel types are going for sure,,,not me.