What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Ford Transit Connect - Accident advice - Jamie Tennant
So at approx 3pm today I got caught at a closed road junction which I had to reverse to turn around parked cars on my left and with no cars behind me I started reversing I had a quick look down the road behind me nothing there so I was watching the parked cars while reversing so I didn’t hit them and out of no ware a van came and parked right behind me as Iam reversing causing me to hit him.
We exchanged details and he was Latvian over in England in a Latvian van(Latvian plates and left hand drive) There is extremely minor damage to his bumper and by minor I mean the police where there and walked off not interested as it was that small.
His boss wanted my details which was fine but the van will not go to get looked at until it’s back in Latvia he arrives there Thursday but said it may not get looked at straight away I asked if he could let me know cost and I would pay without insurance claim as damage is that minor...but what’s the procedure when he’s taking the van back to another country and still driving it around for almost another week before going back?
I am notifying my insurance tomorrow morning but what do I do with regards to him travelling all that way before he’s considerng getting it looked at?
How can I post photos and I will show the damage my van has a small dent which I have already pushed out without damaging paint so my van is fine
Ford Transit Connect - Accident advice - Palcouk

Ensure your photos of damage are safely stored, and printed, then wait for them to contact you

Ford Transit Connect - Accident advice - Jamie Tennant
Should I notify my insurance tomorrow or wait?
Ford Transit Connect - Accident advice - Tester

From experience, I'd recommend notifying your insurer in case things get expensive. (You probably need to do so anyway, on the 'good faith' principle.) I had a similar bump last year: reversing at much less than walking pace in a small car park when a taxi pulled in behind me. My fault, I should still have missed it, but there was a light touch that pushed in the corner of his bumper (didn't make a mark on mine).

I notified my insurer and thought no more about it. A few months later I called just to see how it had all panned out, expecting a cost around perhaps £1000 maximum once a day's lost earnings were included. It turned out that they had paid out more than £4000, as the driver had managed to get a doctor to certify that he had a whiplash injury as the result of this 1 mph collision!

Ford Transit Connect - Accident advice - skidpan

So at approx 3pm today I got caught at a closed road junction which I had to reverse to turn around parked cars on my left and with no cars behind me I started reversing I had a quick look down the road behind me nothing there so I was watching the parked cars while reversing so I didn’t hit them and out of no ware a van came and parked right behind me as Iam reversing causing me to hit him.

He's trying it on. Why would anyone with a brain park behind another car whilst its reversing, its clearly his fault, you should be claiming for any damage to your vehicel form his insurance.

Last year the Mrs had to make an emergency stop to avoid a dog that ran into the road. The white van driver following her did not stop in time. He said it was her fault for not indicating. Later in the evening he rang for her insurance details and I asked him why she would need to indicate when doing an emergency stop. He was lost for words and immediately offered to repair our car without insurance involvement. Cost him over £1500. He was simply hoping she would pay to repair his van (which was probably a write off).

Ford Transit Connect - Accident advice - Palcouk

Personally I would make an emergency stop for a person or other road user, or large animal but certanly not for a dog/cat unless I knew there was no one behind me

Ford Transit Connect - Accident advice - Bromptonaut

Personally I would make an emergency stop for a person or other road user, or large animal but certanly not for a dog/cat unless I knew there was no one behind me

A cat's one thing. I've run one over once, it ran out from under a field gate. Went straight under wheels. If it'd been a child I would have veered nearside side swiped a drystone wall.

Probably same for a small dog but different if it was an Airedale or a Newfoundland it's a 'large animal' :-)

Edited by Bromptonaut on 16/10/2018 at 21:27

Ford Transit Connect - Accident advice - KJP 123

He's trying it on. Why would anyone with a brain park behind another car whilst its reversing, its clearly his fault, you should be claiming for any damage to your vehicel form his insurance.

I don't think that this is the whole story. Anyway,I can't see a court or insurance company accepting that when a moving vehicle hits a stationary one it's the fault of the stationary vehicle.

If I had an accident away fro home and the vehicle was driveable I would want it fixed locally to where I lived.

Ford Transit Connect - Accident advice - skidpan

In my opinion if something runs out the last thing you should be doing is deciding if its child, dog, cat and then checking its OK behind. By the time you ahve done that whatever it was has either escaped with one of its lives lost or its splat in the road.

The fact that the person behind was either too close, going too fast or using the phone (I suspect all three in the wifes case) means its that drivers fault 100% and they paid the price.