What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Rover 25 1.4 Wreg - LOSS OF HEATER - Delysher

I only very drive short trips in the Rover 25 about 4 to 6 miles max at a time and recently found split in hose pipe and put tape round hose in emergency to try and slow down loss of water.

I had noticed at same time I had no hot air on my car heater. It had failed to work at same time of the hose pipe leak.

Having repair to the leaking hose pipe on Monday.

Any other reasons why theirs no hot air and does the leak affect the heater stooping the hot air not work.

Could it also be to do with the Therrmostate ?

I don't want to waste to much money on this car, as it age ( its value being W REG ) and more problems now going wrong as its a 2000 W Reg.

Rover 25 1.4 Wreg - LOSS OF HEATER - elekie&a/c doctor

If you have lost coolant ,then it is very possible there is an airlock in the system.This can prevent water flowing through the heating system .You need to find somebody that can bleed the system for you. This can be a little tricky on this engine. If you know a garage with a power bleed system,then even better.

Rover 25 1.4 Wreg - LOSS OF HEATER - liammcl

when the water gets too low there is no heater.
In fact, I used to use that as an indicator to top up the water, when my head gasket was going.

I think a new pipe will fix it.

you must bleed it , too
since trapped air will cause not only, no heater, but the engine to get too hot, and damage things etc.

let it idle with the new pipe on, and see if the heater starts to heat up..

Cheers
Liam
ps forums.mg-rover.org/mg-zr-rover-25-200-streetwise-.../

Edited by liammcl on 14/10/2018 at 15:26

Rover 25 1.4 Wreg - LOSS OF HEATER - Railroad.

There's no exact science to bleeding the cooling system on any engine. You just need to make sure the highest point of the system is open when filling it up. The thermostat effectively divides the system into two parts when it's closed, and that's why bleeding can be difficult. On a K series engine the thermostat is located on the return inlet to the water pump, making accessibility difficult. Remove the coolant temperature sensor to allow air out as you fill up, as it will usually be the highest point on the engine side of the thermostat. This way there won't be anywhere air can get trapped. K series engines have a cooling system capacity designed for optimum efficiency. Unfortunately this does mean the engine will overheat very quickly in the event of coolant loss, and head gasket failure is common.

Rover 25 1.4 Wreg - LOSS OF HEATER - Big John

K series engines have a cooling system capacity designed for optimum efficiency. Unfortunately this does mean the engine will overheat very quickly in the event of coolant loss, and head gasket failure is common.

These engines fail quickly (see above) with coolant loss due to the lack of capacity - once coolant drops below the cylinder tops it's game over due to localised overheating and warping.

Stop driving until fixed.

The heater not working is a clue you are low on coolant!

Edited by Big John on 14/10/2018 at 23:00