What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Cars scrapped too early - Should HMG force us to spend so much on cars? - John F

After much thought I have come to the conclusion that the now absurdly draconian annual MoT is not only a sop to the motor trade but also a political action to boost the economy.

The average age of cars in the UK is a mere 8yrs. It's a year older in most other European countries and approaching the UK average scrapping age in the USA, where the average age for cars and light trucks is nearly 12 years. I don't think they make them any better in the USA so the only reason I can think of is our overly cautious MoT which forces fundamentally sound vehicles off the road too early because 'not worth repairing, squire..', at huge cost to the disappointed poorer motorist who often struggles financially to keep a car on the road. Anyone else agree?.....or just a stupid idea?

Cars scrapped too early - Should HMG force us to spend so much on cars? - carl233

After much thought I have come to the conclusion that the now absurdly draconian annual MoT is not only a sop to the motor trade but also a political action to boost the economy.

Totally agree, the changes to the MOT test are not about safety or emissions, yes that is the official cover story but read between the lines it is quite obvious what the real drivers of this are. It is not hard to see.....

Cars scrapped too early - Should HMG force us to spend so much on cars? - Gibbo_Wirral

The average age of cars in the UK is a mere 8yrs.

Is it? I normally buy cars at that age and run them to 12-15 years old, as do many others.

I'm actually thinking of going for an old S reg (1998) Peugeot 306 for my next car. One owner from new, great condition, and just sailed through another MOT. Price? £400.

Cars scrapped too early - Should HMG force us to spend so much on cars? - daveyjp

I suspect failing reliability and accident damage are other reasons for early scrapping of vehicles - they are becoming very expensive to repair so write offs are more common.

I witnessed an accident a couple of weeks ago - 17 reg FIesta had hit a lamppost at quite low speed - driver was out and walking. Nothing too major in the grand scheme of things, compared to the cost of the car. Suspension and bodywork damage - bonnet and wing. We managed to start the car to move it.

However both front airbags and a side airbag had gone off so the car was probably heading for the scrapyard.

Edited by daveyjp on 05/10/2018 at 13:44

Cars scrapped too early - Should HMG force us to spend so much on cars? - Andrew-T

Is it? I normally buy cars at that age and run them to 12-15 years old, as do many others.

I'm actually thinking of going for an old S reg (1998) Peugeot 306 for my next car. One owner from new, great condition, and just sailed through another MOT. Price? £400.

Gibbo, I don't suppose you own enough cars to affect the national average by much, so I guess 8 years is about right. Plenty of people keep the market topped up with new and nearly-new ones, over 2 million a year (good choice, by the way :-) )

The daft thing about scrappage is that for over 30 years the industry has made huge progress in making their products last longer, while still expecting the public to keep passing their parcels down the pecking order. If things look like slowing down, pressure is put on the govt. to shove things along a bit.

Personally I am in favour of an annual MoT, because car breakdowns are now rare, so that plenty of drivers expect them to keep going without maintenance. Most of us on here aren't like that, but we should allow for those that are.

Cars scrapped too early - Should HMG force us to spend so much on cars? - Snakey

Its probably going to get a lot worse when the city councils implement their low emissions zones - all in the name of air purity of course and nothing to do with an additional motoring tax

I find it amazing a car can fail its MOT for having a pinhole in the exhaust, or a fraction over the emissions standard deeming it unroadworthy, when a lot of our roads are simply uncarworthy

Cars scrapped too early - Should HMG force us to spend so much on cars? - SLO76
I actually agree that it’s overly strict now. Cars as they age can flag up warning lights via wonky sensors and wiring but still be perfectly serviceable and able to meet emissions standards. Now otherwise useable older cars are being scrapped rather than spending more than they’re worth trying to hunt down very minor electrical gremins that have no effect on it. It’s more to do with decisions being made by people who know absolutely nothing about the subject they’re legislating on.
Cars scrapped too early - Should HMG force us to spend so much on cars? - oldroverboy.

As in the thread about 20% drop in sales...

Keep the motor industry happy... big employers... £tens of millions to Aston Martin for a factory in wales.. same to JLR for the engine factory in Wolverhampton. (other examples out there)

Make it so hard to repair cars that the average joe punter can't fix them anymore.

More work for garages, more VAT for HMG...be it on sales, servicing or repairs.

Consider the cost of VAT on the car, excise duty, fuel taxes, insurance premium tax, vat on servicing, repairs, vat on parking... and ll the other bits of tax on the motor industry. social security contributions on workers, their taxes, their employers share of those taxes too.

Motoring is a nice little earner for HMG, but i do wish that someone somewhere had got sensible and upped the showroom tax and zeroed the ongoing excise duty with an additional rate of duty on fuel so that the granny who does her 2000 miles a year pays for that, and the rep who does 30000 miles pays that too. No VED evasion then...

Edited by oldroverboy. on 05/10/2018 at 14:30

Cars scrapped too early - Should HMG force us to spend so much on cars? - madf

the answer is simple. Buy cars proven by experience to be made by manufacturers who care about reliability and servicing costs.

ie. Do not buy Ford for a start.

Cars scrapped too early - Should HMG force us to spend so much on cars? - barney100

Never had a Ford but always thought they were one of the more economical to service and repair.

Cars scrapped too early - Should HMG force us to spend so much on cars? - SLO76

Never had a Ford but always thought they were one of the more economical to service and repair.

Once upon a time. Not now though. 1.0 Ecoboost can’t be rebuilt after any major internal failure it is scrap. 1.6 TDCi is effectively scrap if the turbo breaks up too. Poor quality, shortsighted management and a desperation to return to profit via cost cutting... we all know where that led with GM and SAAB and Vauxhall.

Edited by SLO76 on 05/10/2018 at 15:53

Cars scrapped too early - Should HMG force us to spend so much on cars? - Bolt

Once upon a time. Not now though. 1.0 Ecoboost can’t be rebuilt after any major internal failure it is scrap. 1.6 TDCi is effectively scrap if the turbo breaks up too. Poor quality, shortsighted management and a desperation to return to profit via cost cutting... we all know where that led with GM and SAAB and Vauxhall.

Wasn't the idea to have disposable drivetrains so if it went wrong you had to buy a new one,

certain manufacturers talked about it years ago, I thought Ford were on there way to doing it

Cars scrapped too early - Should HMG force us to spend so much on cars? - John F

the answer is simple. Buy cars proven by experience to be made by manufacturers who care about reliability and servicing costs.

It's not that simple. Buying and keeping intentions are probably much the same in any country. It's just worth a debate why the UK average age is now even less than that of Japan, a country once renowned for considering cars past it at 5yrs old or less - only fit for export to such as us!

Cars scrapped too early - Should HMG force us to spend so much on cars? - corax

It's not that simple. Buying and keeping intentions are probably much the same in any country. It's just worth a debate why the UK average age is now even less than that of Japan, a country once renowned for considering cars past it at 5yrs old or less - only fit for export to such as us!

Japan have a history of liking new and shiny toys. I don't know if they still do, but they had mountains of rubbish from old (but still serviceable) electronic goods that were thrown away.

Looks like we're maybe becoming like that, coupled with increasing pressure to own a car with low emissions - HMG keeping VED costs low or nil. One component failing on an aging car is enough to scrap it these days. £400 for a diesel injector for example, on a car which already needs a new set of dampers, balljoints, and an awkwardly sited corroded brake pipe.

madf is right. Buying a car with poorly designed carp is likely to send it to the scrap heap sooner rather than later through expensive replacement components and high labour costs.

One component failing on an aging car is enough to scrap it these days. £400 for a diesel injector for example, on a car which already needs a new set of dampers, balljoints, and an awkwardly sited corroded brake pipe.

An excellent example supporting my argument. Just the £400 injector would probably not scrap the car, but a possibly unfair MoT failure (did it really need new dampers? Were the ball joints really worn enough to rattle or cause steeering stiffness? Could a bit of emery paper and a blob of grease have dealt with probably very superficial corrosion of a brake pipe? ) might tip the balance.

Cars scrapped too early - Should HMG force us to spend so much on cars? - Andrew-T

... i do wish that someone somewhere had got sensible and upped the showroom tax and zeroed the ongoing excise duty with an additional rate of duty on fuel so that the granny who does her 2000 miles a year pays for that, and the rep who does 30000 miles pays that too. No VED evasion then...

Nice idea, but the problem with that is that you can't afford to create large differences in fuel price between countries without precipitating smuggling, or simply topping up abroad whenever possible. Lots of trucks travel over the Channel or the Irish Sea ....

Cars scrapped too early - Should HMG force us to spend so much on cars? - skidpan

The MOT is essential to keep cars on our roads safe and roadworthy. many cars never see garage from one year to the next and without the MOT God alone knows what state they would be allowed to get into. At £40 (the price I pay to the local garage) its a bargain and gives me confidence that i have not missed anything that needs attention on the Caterham. If it worries poeple that a garage will rip them off use the local Council, most do MOT's, any repairs need doing elsewhere thus no vested interest in failing cars just for the profit.

Sitting here typing this one neighbours car is a 54 plate, the other neighbours an 08 plate. Across the road the cars are a 55 plate and a 57 plate. Total age is approx 48 years, average age 12 years. If I include our 3 it increases the total to 76 years, average age 10.9 years. Spread the net a little wider and include the neighbours sons 04 plate and 05 plate the sons wifes 67 plate and the total is 104 years, average 10.4 years. Include the sons on the other sides 54 plate and his wifes 10 plate and the toatl is 126 years, average 10.5years. I could go on but its going to be difficult to get it down to 8 years even if I go down the road and into the cul de sac where a salesman form the local Vauxhall dealer lives. 2 Corsa's and an Insomnia that probably average 2 years but he also has an F plate Land Rover, that would take the average of those 4 to 9 years.

Surely JohnF's are older than 8 years?

But to me saying the average age is 8 years does not mean that 8 years is the age that most are taken off the road. The average age of the UK population is 40 years but that does not mean that is the age most people die at.

The average age of cars in the nearest 4 houses (excluding our 3) is 12.3 years thus we are obviously hanging on longer than most of the UK.

If you look at this website www.smmt.co.uk/industry-topics/sustainability/aver.../ it confirms the average age is car is scrapped at is currently 13.9 years, and this confirms my above thoughts.

Anyone else agree?.....or just a stupid idea?

If you want to reduce our road safety record to that of a developing country it's a great idea. If you want to keep the roads free of potentially dangerous cars it's stupid.

Cars scrapped too early - Should HMG force us to spend so much on cars? - Big John

Some (not all) of what is in the new MOT is sensible. I'm fed up of following some cars belching out diesel smoke (some post 2010 so have probably had the DPF deleted) and being dazzled by illegal headlight bulbs on my journey to work (usually fitted in a car that has been "slammed"). If you have a major fail re the oil leak test you are leaving a substantial puddle of oil - any motor bike riders out there would agree this fail is a good thing!

Edited by Big John on 05/10/2018 at 18:57

Cars scrapped too early - Should HMG force us to spend so much on cars? - Big John

OK - at least some my current and past cars are rather bucking this trend:-

• Previous 2003 1.9pd Superb still going strong under new ownership with well over 200k miles
  • 2001 Octavia 1.4 16v still going strong with my son now (approx 125k miles)
  • 2006 Panda 1.2 still going strong (approx 35k miles)

Is part of this the trendy desire to own a new car on PCP? Saying that as things get more complex PCH might be the way forward?

Edited by Big John on 05/10/2018 at 21:48

Cars scrapped too early - Should HMG force us to spend so much on cars? - Brit_in_Germany

If the average age is 8 years, then for every new car, there is a 16 year old wreck on the road. With regard to the US, life expectancy will be influenced by corrosion. If a car is not safe or polutes excessively, it should not be on the road. If it costs too much to fix, then scrap it.

If the average age is 8 years, then for every new car, there is a 16 year old wreck on the road.

That's a ridiculously simplistic suggestion. As a new car ages, its probability of 'having died' increases, so the age profile tails off exponentially. On your suggestion, how do you account for any cars more than 16 years old - like my two aged 10 and 28 respectively? :-) And they aren't necessarily wrecks.

Cars scrapped too early - Should HMG force us to spend so much on cars? - Falkirk Bairn

We have to have an MoT - it insures that on 1 day/year the car is roadworthy. Left with no MoT for 2 years (suggestion of 2 year MoTs in the recent past) you need some to look underneath to check of the brakes, steering, corrosion. Even new /newish cars can go 2 years & 20K miles without the service light showing - a lot can go wrong with a car in 20K miles.

I think there is a happy medium between the old MoT & the new one - a car needs to be roadworthy (& not putting out masses of diesel fumes) HOWEVER more pollution can be caused by building new cars to replace what are essentially safe cars but they do not meet "paper standards" set by the EU/Government.

Cars scrapped too early - Should HMG force us to spend so much on cars? - barney100

I would like to know how many cars don't have an mot. There are loads of uninsured drivers and banned drivers who don't give a hoot for regulations including the mot.

Cars scrapped too early - Should HMG force us to spend so much on cars? - expat

If the idea is to make the roads safer then they should test the drivers every year.

If the idea is to make the roads safer then they should test the drivers every year.

Good suggestion, but unlikely to be greeted with enthusiasm ....

Cars scrapped too early - Should HMG force us to spend so much on cars? - skidpan

29 million MOT's carried out every year. Mine takes about 20 minutes. Garages do the work just like they have always done.

45.5 million licence holders in 2014 (some will be provisional). An annual assessment including all road types and a class room session would take well over an hour. A complete new set up would be required to carry out these assessments. Using simple maths assuming one person could carry out 8 assessments a day (unlikely) and works 45 weeks a year after leave they would need over 25000 qualified staff, plus admin staff plus premises. How much would that little lot cost.

Actually it would not cost HMG anything, we, the drivers would have to pay.

Cars scrapped too early - Should HMG force us to spend so much on cars? - Theophilus

John, surely you need to re-phrase this statement. Do you really mean that 50% of UK cars on the road today are over 8 years old? This doesn't correlate with my observation looking outside at a busy urban road.

I'm guessing that you may have meant that the average age at which vehicles are scrapped in the UK is 8yr, which would certainly leave a more realistic ratio of older vehicles on the highways ... but of course an average still implies that 50% fall on the either side of your mean figure, or 50% are scrapped at or below 8yr (!), whilst the other 50% last longer.

Edited by Theophilus on 06/10/2018 at 13:59

Cars scrapped too early - Should HMG force us to spend so much on cars? - carl233

I am for sure not following this tend:

Daily driver: 1997 Ford Mondeo 1.8 petrol 246k miles, should last another 2 years before it will be replaced with an 8-10 year old vehicle.

Other half: 2006 Ford Fiesta 1.6 auto (torque converter) 35k miles, still drives like a new car.

Whilst the neighbours have a Tesla Model S, £60k plus high end Benz and Audi's not to mention the obligigatory BMW of course. The money saved by running old cars for many years has helped pay off the house and be mortgage free purchase a second property again mortgage free and send the children to private school. They will leave uni with no debt at all when that time comes.

Rather than giving a motor manufactuer huge profits would rather do more sensible and far more productive things with the money rather than making others rich.

Edited by carl233 on 06/10/2018 at 15:16

John, surely you need to re-phrase this statement. Do you really mean that 50% of UK cars on the road today are over 8 years old? This doesn't correlate with my observation looking outside at a busy urban road.

I'm guessing that you may have meant that the average age at which vehicles are scrapped in the UK is 8yr,

See my link above

www.smmt.co.uk/industry-topics/sustainability/aver.../

To quote from it "The average age of a car at scrappage in 2015 reached 13.9 years".

The 8 years JohnF quotes is from (I think)

www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2018/04/12/average-ag.../

and the 8 years is simply that, the average age and not the age cars are scrapped at.

Two very different facts. Both correct but answers to two different questions.

<< Do you really mean that 50% of UK cars on the road today are over 8 years old? This doesn't correlate with my observation looking outside at a busy urban road.

I'm guessing that you may have meant that the average age at which vehicles are scrapped in the UK is 8yr, which would certainly leave a more realistic ratio of older vehicles on the highways ... but of course an average still implies that 50% fall on the either side of your mean figure, or 50% are scrapped at or below 8yr (!), whilst the other 50% last longer. >>

As all you statisticians will know, there are three kinds of average: mean, median and mode. I think John's figure will be the mean, calculated by adding up the ages of every car and dividing by the number of cars. It seems you are thinking of the median, which is the age which has exactly half the total number of cars either side (younger or older). It's not the same thing! Nor is the mode, which is the most 'popular' age, the age showing the greatest number of cars - which will probably reflect a peak in annual sales, at least for younger cars.

And I think most cars which do not get written off in accidents last more than 8 years before being scrapped - unless there is a scrappage scheme, of course ....

Cars scrapped too early - Should HMG force us to spend so much on cars? - thunderbird

This tread got me thinking that surely 8 years of life is way off the mark for a modern car. Whilst we run car under 5 years old many on the street are 55 and 56 plate, one is a 51 plate and an Accord is on a "S" which I makes about 21 years old.

So I looked on the DVLA site armed with the reg numbers I could remember from out old motors back to the 70's and into the early 2000's and the results have been quite a shock.

The shortest life was a 1984 Ford Escort, lived 9 years. Longest was the car that replaced it, a 1989 Golf which lived 26 years. In between we have 17 years, 14 years, 11 years and 15 years.

But there are two that have shocked me. First was a 1986 Mini that the wife had new. When we sold it at 5 years old the rust was showing through and at 5 years the MOT was an adventure, it lived to 23 years old. The other was a Puma. It had the dreaded rusty arched when it left us 10 years ago, now it 19 and still on the road.

The average of that lot is 17.57 years.

The perceived average will vary hugely with the street you look at. There are plenty of new(ish) cars in better-off districts pulling down the 'average' age.

Thank you Andrew-T; I did not want to complicate matters as it is obvious from some of the above posts that many folk have no knowledge of statistics. I suspect the mean and median age are much the same. However, this detracts from the point I was making - that I think we are being fleeced by HMG on spurious safety issues promulgated by the garage trade for which the MoT is, frankly, a nice little earner which is responsible for a great deal of unjustifiable misery amongst the 'JAM's. (just about managing).

As for the observation that cars become 'wrecks' after 16yrs or so, this is no longer the case if covering an average mileage and reasonably well looked after. By the end of this year the average, or mean, age of our three cars will be 23 years. (Audi 13, Focus 18, TR7 38). .....(but the median age is of course only a mere 18). All are in perfect working order - despite never having had a garage 'service' during our ownership.

Nearly forgot about rust!

I bought a 9 year old Viva in 1982 that had an MOT (was only £50). The inner wings had rotted away and nothing was holding the bonnet hinges, Saying that it was with this car I learnt how to weld.

I had a 1976 Datsun 100A that was only 8 years old. Looked lovely when I bought it but boy did it start rusting! Actually was a reasonable car and was really economical (The 1256 Viva above did 32mpg on a run the 100A did way over 50mpg! - Not sure many small petrol cars are much better than that now)

A friend had a bigger Fiat (can't remember the name) that was new in 1981 and didn't make it's 6th year.

What was the average car age then?

Cars scrapped too early - Should HMG force us to spend so much on cars? - Terry W

Car ownership is an emotional decision for many. Hence the attraction of new cars with unnecessary trinkets rather than fundamentally reliable, adequately fast, cost effective etc.

Cars are scrapped when they become uneconomic to repair partly due to complexity and government regulation.

In my view cars are hugely over-regulated beyond the need for the safety of occupants and others. Were the same disciplines applied to other parts of life we would have large fines issued for a failure to have the requisite 8 inches of loft insulation and other environmental housing standards, monitoring of household recycling rates, all supported a team of government appointed and trained inspectors funded by annual inspection fees charged to each household.

Cars scrapped too early - Should HMG force us to spend so much on cars? - oldroverboy.

monitoring of household recycling rates, all supported a team of government appointed and trained inspectors funded by annual inspection fees charged to each household.

Now, i have a point to add here.

We were "advised" that our " bin" (general waste) contained items that could be recycled... Show me I said, Black plastic food containers.. on the council website as being unrecyclable.. various bits of wrapping mixed cardboard and plastic windows, as uch of the cardboard removed as possible. Doggie poo, which is where we are told to put it, in appropriate doggie poo bags. But it doesn't matter about the food wastw spilled by the collectors onto the street.. doesn't matter about the litter on the streets, the untaxed uninsured cars parked everywhere...

Nearly forgot about rust!.....

.......A friend had a bigger Fiat (can't remember the name) that was new in 1981 and didn't make it's 6th year.

What was the average car age then?

The only UK figures I can find only go back to 2000 - 7.1 years, not much less than now. Which is surprising as in those days there were still a lot of rapidly rusting 20th century cars around - even Mercedes! After nearly 20 yrs the longevity of cars should have improved more than this.

<< The only UK figures I can find only go back to 2000 - 7.1 years, not much less than now. Which is surprising as in those days there were still a lot of rapidly rusting 20th century cars around - even Mercedes! After nearly 20 yrs the longevity of cars should have improved more than this. >>

Peugeot cracked the rust problem in the mid-80s, and I think many makers followed suit about then - witness the existence of some rust-free 205s even now. But listening to others' tales on here, I suspect there has been some cost-cutting since. After all, it doesn't help planned obsolescence, does it? Gotta keep the plants churning out new hardware that most people don't really need, only want ....

I think a lot of classic cars around today have usually been restored and preserved (er at least once). I restored a 1968 Morris 1000 in 1988 so it would have been about 20 years old at the time. To be honest if it wasn't for knowing the owner really well the car should have been scrapped at the time. At 20 years old.The behind the scenes sil structure had vanished, the 3 door side panels were munched away as was the metal & structure bedind it. Floors and crossmember needed repairing (not replacing though) and there was little left for the rear springs to attach to - someone had bodged them with foam, filler and underseal. Bottom of the A pillar was poor around bottom door hinge. There was little metal left for the rear wings to attach to and needed fabricating from scratch. There was so much metal removed and welding required I started running out of reference points - had to make up a wood and dowel device to keep track of body panel/chassis positions, this was compared to another know good car.

Wind the clock forward I saw it a couple of years ago and it was still in pretty good nick - I was pleased as I still got my hands mucky with the still tacky rust proffing!