What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Average miles per annum car - Why so much attention paid to fuel consumption? - John F

I cannot understand why fuel consumption figures feature so much here, especially if retired and only driving a few thousand miles a year. If petrol is £6 per gallon and you do 40mpg, that's 15p per mile. But if you have a less desirable but more economical car which does 50mpg, that's 12p per mile, a saving of 3p per mile. But, if you do 8000m p.a. in a newish car and it depreciates £3000 p.a., (or rented at £250pcm) - that's a whopping 37.5p per mile. At that level, a few p either way is neither here nor there. Even an old car with a low £1000 p.a., depreciation is still 12.5p per mile - twice that for 4000m p.a. drivers. So clearly, for most people the rate of depreciation per annum is far more important than studiously comparing fuel economy figures to the nearest decimal point.

As for EVs with 'free' energy, there are a couple of two year old Tesla S cars (much the same size as a Ford Mondeo) for sale at around £47,000 having done (slightly above average) 20,000 miles. Assuming cost price of £72,000 that's 125p per mile! Actually more, because they will have got far less than £47,000 at trade in. Even the high milers with 70,000m in two years will have paid nearly 40p per mile at that impossibly generous trade in price.

Apologies for non-metric - I can't get used to kilometers per litre.

Average miles per annum car - Why so much attention paid to fuel consumption? - SteveLee

I totally agree - I've said this many times, fuel is no where near the biggest expense for most people when running a car. The amount of people who buy new cars justifying the purchase on a reduction in fuel consumption and/or a couple of VED bands reduction - throwing thousands away in immediate depreciation and possibly saddling themselves with new debt just for a small weekly "saving". It very rarely adds up.

People just don't want to admit to themselves that they *want* rather than *need* a new car.

Average miles per annum car - Why so much attention paid to fuel consumption? - drd63
And there’s nothing wrong with that. Depends how you view your car, is it just transport, if so need will do. I don’t need a V8 but did want one so that’s what I’ve got. Never ceases to amaze me how obsessed people are with my mpg. Weird!
Average miles per annum car - Why so much attention paid to fuel consumption? - SteveLee
And there’s nothing wrong with that. Depends how you view your car, is it just transport, if so need will do. I don’t need a V8 but did want one so that’s what I’ve got. Never ceases to amaze me how obsessed people are with my mpg. Weird!

I'm simply saying if you want a new car - admit it -don't try and pretend it's for any other reason - particularly if you can't actually afford it and are putting the roof over your familys' head at risk just to impress the neighbours. (I'm not suggesting you would but it does happen a lot).

Average miles per annum car - Why so much attention paid to fuel consumption? - SLO76
People fret over a few mpg and an extra £100 road tax, sum total of maybe £200-£300 a year for a low mileage user. Try selling used cars to people you’ll be amazed by the ‘logic’ on display. I’ve a neighbour who spent thousands extra to get a used Fiat 500L with a Diesel engine rather than a petrol despite covering hardly any mileage in a year. My street is full of highly complex and overpriced new diesels and hybrids despite half of them being retired and the cars barely turning a wheel. It’s nuts, but then someone’s gotta buy em and at the end of the day it’s their buck.

Edited by SLO76 on 04/10/2018 at 00:05

Average miles per annum car - Why so much attention paid to fuel consumption? - Andrew-T

Apologies for non-metric - I can't get used to kilometers per litre.

If you were truly metric, John, you would quote litres per 100km., but we'll let that pass. As I travel miles and buy fuel by the litre, I have switched to mpl instead of mpg. I can't remember when I last handled a gallon of anything except in a watering-can, so I can't see the point of wasting time converting to mpg. Anyway 10mpl is a simple and useful target = 45.5 mpg.

I monitor consumption as an indicator of things starting to go wrong in the engine, and also as a mild challenge, not to save money but to save fuel. Fuel is a finite resource, while money is artificial and a marginally less valuable replacement can always be found for it. For the same reason I don't bother to go out of my way to find fuel at a penny cheaper - tho I never buy on the M-way unless there is no alternative.

Average miles per annum car - Why so much attention paid to fuel consumption? - nellyjak

Agree...can never understand why so many peeps are SO hung up on mpg...it's an "obsession" that seems to have increased so much in the last few years particularly.

As said, there are other factors in car purchase/ownership that should be of FAR more importance....and no doubt that "want trumps need" on so many occasions...and that's fine...but don't whinge about your choice later on.

My Toyota is a 2 tonne, 220 bhp 3 litre V6 beast and I'm quizzed almost daily ..."That must cost you a fortune to run"...!!

Well, actually, NO....because I only do around 4k miles each year (I'm retired)..it costs me around £260 to tax it and around £300 to insure it fully comp.

Mpg.?...frankly I don't much care.

Average miles per annum car - Why so much attention paid to fuel consumption? - FoxyJukebox

As a low mileage user-totally agree with this. Last weekend needed to drive 150 plus miles and stay overnight with some added little local journeys on the saturday and sunday-then back home on monday morning.

Topped up with £45 quids worth of unleaded yesterday which represented my petrol use on previous friday-tuesday.

If i had done my journeys by train-the train would either be unavailable, unusable, cancelled, unreliable and grossly expensive....and where i was in Dorset --there were only limited very expensive taxis. I suppose i could have hired a vehicle for the weekend --but that would have been silly money.

So a £45 petrol bill for an occasional weekend journey for 2 folk was a bargain!

Average miles per annum car - Why so much attention paid to fuel consumption? - Bolt

although I do check my mpg regular its more to make sure no problems are occurring, being in a hilly town area mpg is nowhere near what Honda says it is even though I cannot complain about it

car depreciation was something that never bothered me as it does some, once I had my use out of the car I get what I get for it, I consider what I spent on the car as lost money as I do with all appliances indoors, it aint worth much after you buy it so no point in worrying about it.

My family is another matter bil will not spend more than he has to on a car including tyres which I`ve often had arguments about buying cheap tyres

Average miles per annum car - Why so much attention paid to fuel consumption? - barney100

I think there is a lot of sense in the post. Buying the car is mostly the expensive part. I paid 20k for my car 4 years ago...my retirement promise to myself...I was curious and have been quoted around 10k in PX so that's easy, 2.5k a year. If I hang on 8 years I might get 4k with a bit of luck, 2k a year, not much difference.

Average miles per annum car - Why so much attention paid to fuel consumption? - TheGentlemanThug

Sadly, a lot of people only see the headline figures and don't care about how those figures are achieved. One of the reasons why I opted for my Civic 1.8 was because of its mechanical simplicity and good reputation. I don't care if the VED is more expensive or the fuel consumption is higher than average. Knowing that I won't have to worry about expensive turbochargers or suchlike is more important to me.

Average miles per annum car - Why so much attention paid to fuel consumption? - 72 dudes

A female aquaintance of mine bought a nearly new Juke a couple of years ago, a 1.2 turbo petrol model. This replaced a 10 year old diesel Yaris in which she did mainly local short journeys.

Saw her the other day, she has a new job (civil service role) which will sometimes require her to visit people's homes. Again mainly within the west of the county in which we live.

She has changed the Juke for a nearly new (67) Micra diesel !!!! Oh dear. The logic being that the Juke was apparently thirsty and she will 'only' be getting 45p per mile from the employer!!!!

This is a fairly intelligent lady who has previously held management positions, but the depreciation factor has clearly not even occurred to her let alone the whole diesel for short journeys saga. People eh?

Average miles per annum car - Why so much attention paid to fuel consumption? - carl233

The short answer is people are easily blinded, look at rail fares up 110% at least since BR yet the public do not seem to care. I run a 20 year old plus Ford with 0% depreciation, annual repairs outside of servicing no more than £250 per year although I change the oil every 10k max and working out the fuel consumption it costs 12.7 pence per mile to run the car. Insurance less than £300 per year, at this age of vehicle GAP insurance is not needed!

Average miles per annum car - Why so much attention paid to fuel consumption? - Bolt

A female aquaintance of mine bought a nearly new Juke a couple of years ago, a 1.2 turbo petrol model. This replaced a 10 year old diesel Yaris in which she did mainly local short journeys.

Saw her the other day, she has a new job (civil service role) which will sometimes require her to visit people's homes. Again mainly within the west of the county in which we live.

She has changed the Juke for a nearly new (67) Micra diesel !!!! Oh dear. The logic being that the Juke was apparently thirsty and she will 'only' be getting 45p per mile from the employer!!!!

This is a fairly intelligent lady who has previously held management positions, but the depreciation factor has clearly not even occurred to her let alone the whole diesel for short journeys saga. People eh?

Might have something to do with save money on fuel now, which is needed, and lose value on the car later, people I have spoken to are more concerned with saving money now than worry about what the car is worth when diesels severely drop in price, for some its live now the rest can wait- with more people having the same attitude

Average miles per annum car - Why so much attention paid to fuel consumption? - Big John

Interesting post

MPG sligtly relevant for me I do 15,000 miles a year. Taking 1.30 as the price per litre thats:-

• £3000 at 30mpg
  • £2000 at 46mpg

So if I enjoyed the v6(I wish) version of my Superb II which does about 30mpg (possibly less!) and compared it to my 1.4tsi Superb which does about 46mpg(real life) then it would cost me £1k a year extra in petrol.

I'll class depreciation as £1k year (its more at the mo) as I paid just over £10k at 14 months and will throw away after 10 years use (I kept my last Superb 10 years)

Tyres can be significant though. Mine has 205/55/16 tyres that are lasting more than 35k miles and cost about £300 a set. So on average they will last two years which is £150/year.

However if I'd had a sporty version with larger wheels and ultra low profile tyres you'd be lucky to get 15k out of a set and lookng at a model I was interested in would cost £800 a set which is approx £800/year

Servicing (sorry John F ) at my mileage is about £400/year inc MOT, air con and brake fluid change

Repairs - none at all yet at over 4 years old/ 64,000 miles - but there will be soon lets estimate £400/year to cover brakes etc as the car wears

Then of course tax/insurance etc - rough estimate £500/year

Oil other than servicing - £0 thus far

So fuel is slightly important at 15,000 miles/ year but not as significant as you would originally think. - although If I treated myself to the v6 depreciaton , tyre costs, tax and insurance would be a lot higher.

Edited by Big John on 04/10/2018 at 20:55

Average miles per annum car - Why so much attention paid to fuel consumption? - gsatlas17

I agree. This is the kind of insight I have to share with my peers.

Average miles per annum car - Why so much attention paid to fuel consumption? - Leif

I do ~25,000 miles a year so mpg does matter, which is why I drive a car with an efficient 3 cylinder engine giving over 60 mpg.

I suspect the average forum user age is over 100, so they don't drive many miles.

Average miles per annum car - Why so much attention paid to fuel consumption? - FP

I cover a bit more than 10,000 miles per annum, but admit to being mildly obsessed with mpg, and driving with a very light foot to achieve the maximum. Of course it makes sense that, in the bigger picture, fuel costs are only a part. However, my style of driving also means less wear on brake components and tyres.

I've been fortunate (or careful) in recent years to avoid cars which needed substantial repair; the biggest expenditure I recall within the last ten years was a replacement alternator to a Ford Focus - not a common issue, so I was unlucky there.

One of the biggest money-savers on fuel for me as an OAP is using the (free) buses, which I do wherever possible.

Average miles per annum car - Why so much attention paid to fuel consumption? - klu01dbt

Its probably largely down to Parkinson's Law of Triviality. MPG figures are easy to understand, working out depreciation relatively less so.

According to Fuelly my car is currently averaging 46.6mpg since 2012 and I have spent over £8000 on petrol. Quickly topping up everything else I have spent on the car, including repairs, purchase price MOTs etc this come to around £6500.

Average miles per annum car - Why so much attention paid to fuel consumption? - sammy1

Once you have made the purchase you cannot do much else about running costs. Depreciation probably the biggest for most, servicing, MOT you can budget for. Repairs, sit and pray! You do have some control over your MPG. At purchase decide what is acceptable MPG for your mileage and budget and buy to suit. Where you buy your fuel can make a big difference to your budget. Why buy premium fuel when supermarket is far cheaper. OK you get the enthusiasts who go on about the additives and how clean their can must be running and maybe giving 1MPG extra, but in reality how many broken down vehicles do you see on motorways and other roads because of fuel related issues or indeed any mechanical breakdowns. Drive sensibly to achieve max MPG and monitor your mpg as a good indicator of any potential problems.

Average miles per annum car - Why so much attention paid to fuel consumption? - Mutton Geoff

And why do most drivers not associate mpg with the brake pedal? I was taught that all that careful driving to get up to speed is undone in a few seconds when you press that consumption pedal in the middle.

If drivers could see a "fuel wastage" indicator as they pressed the brake, maybe driving would be more considered and anticipated than it is?

Average miles per annum car - Why so much attention paid to fuel consumption? - Big John

And why do most drivers not associate mpg with the brake pedal? I was taught that all that careful driving to get up to speed is undone in a few seconds when you press that consumption pedal in the middle.

If drivers could see a "fuel wastage" indicator as they pressed the brake, maybe driving would be more considered and anticipated than it is?

Some hybrids re cycle braking energy back into the battery. eg with a Toyota hybrid when you initially push the brake pedal electronics control the hybrid gear to turn it into a variable generator. It's only when you push harder for more stopping power do the brake pads/discs get involved

Average miles per annum car - Why so much attention paid to fuel consumption? - smallcar
My CRZ does that - it’s nice to see some of the braking energy recycled.
Average miles per annum car - Why so much attention paid to fuel consumption? - Bromptonaut

Use mpg simply because I'm used to it. Both cars display mpg and I use a Fuel app on my phone to check brim/brim consumption. As somebody says above it's more about watching for any change than actual cost.

At purchase decide what is acceptable MPG for your mileage and budget and buy to suit

that's assuming the mpg mentioned by OEM is what it says it is, in a lot of cases the MPG quoted is well above what you can achieve, of which the area you live can sway the mpg either way, so unless you know in reality what the MPG is you can only guess

Average miles per annum car - Why so much attention paid to fuel consumption? - Andrew-T

That's assuming the mpg mentioned by OEM is what it says it is, in a lot of cases the MPG quoted is well above what you can achieve, of which the area you live can sway the mpg either way, so unless you know in reality what the MPG is you can only guess.

No sensible person takes a maker's quoted figures at face value, but those figures should give reasonable comparisons between vehicles, as the tests have (allegedly) all been done under the same conditions.

Average miles per annum car - Why so much attention paid to fuel consumption? - Leif

That's assuming the mpg mentioned by OEM is what it says it is, in a lot of cases the MPG quoted is well above what you can achieve, of which the area you live can sway the mpg either way, so unless you know in reality what the MPG is you can only guess.

No sensible person takes a maker's quoted figures at face value, but those figures should give reasonable comparisons between vehicles, as the tests have (allegedly) all been done under the same conditions.

That is what any reasonable person would do. However, I do often wonder about the real world variation between makes and models. The cynic in me suggests that some brands will specifically tailor the gearing etc so as to favour consumption tests, at the expense of real world driving, given that consumption tests use rather artificial simulated routes.