What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Honda CRV - Issues with used car from large dealer chain - Mutton Geoff

I've just bought a Honda CRV (2012 petrol manual) from a dealer member of the Inchcape group. I got a mate local to the dealership to view the car, I spoke to the dealer about the history of the car (one owner 40k miles FSH). New tyres fitted as part of the deal and my mate then drove the car to me (130 miles) when I saw it for the first time.

The dealer had jet washed the car but done no interior valet, the engine bay was a mess with dead leaves everywhere, years of detritus under the seats when I folded them out. The door shuts and boot ledges were full of dirt as if the car had stood in a muddy field for a year. On full lock in 1st or reverse, the diff groans (common CRV 4WD mechanism fault according to interweb) and the clutch only bites near the top of the pedal.

I had only asked my friend to do condition inspection and quick test drive to ensure everything worked as I assumed Inchcape wouldn't put a dog on it's forecourt. They posted me the service book after the sale (saying they had to stamp it for their own service work) so it wasn't viewed pre purchase.

Now I've got the book, it had two Honda services from new. One year in at 10k miles and two years in at 15k. Then nothing. The car now has 40k and no service since 2014 so none of the timed stuff appears to have been done. They carried out a service prior to putting it on their forecourt but there is no supporting documentation and neither Inchcape nor Honda ever entered the items attended to in the service book "maintenance completed" pages so apart from 3 stamps, there is no evidence of any work.

I've spoken to the dealer but they want me to process the check/repairs through the Inchcape warranty I purchased rather than any other method.

I like the car, run out model spec, colour and 1 owner, low mileage but the receipt for BCA transport from Blackbushe makes me think this was something an Inchcape buyer picked up cheap and shipped up to the Midlands (the original owner was SW London). It certainly doesn't look like the "one owner, local person trading in, fsh car" that I was led to believe.

On the phone the dealer says they don't usually advertise cars with "fsh" and did I have a screen shot or name of person who told me that.

Should I reject the car or let them put everything right so it has some history from now on?

I'm pretty experienced buying, selling and owning all sorts of cars but wonder on the best and most sensible course of action. I'm certainly not happy that letting a warranty policy cover point of sale issues is the right way to proceed.

Honda CRV - Issues with used car from large dealer chain - Avant

I would think rejection is your best bet. Whatever the failures of the dealer, if the last owner left it in such a state, they probably weren't too careful how they drove it either.

There should be plenty of better CRVs around, and FSH is a reasonable expectation for a six-year-old car.

Welcome back to the forum, by the way!

Edited by Avant on 29/09/2018 at 16:07

Honda CRV - Issues with used car from large dealer chain - Brit_in_Germany

What grounds of rejection are available though if there is no proof of a "fsh" being part of ghe offer.

Honda CRV - Issues with used car from large dealer chain - Mutton Geoff

HJ offers lots of advice here - https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/news/legal-motoring-advice/2017-08/everything-you-need-to-know-about-your-right-to-reject-a-car/

I would say the car was not as described (verbal contracts are binding) and it possibly has at least two major faults at purchase, ie rear diff and clutch, the former a cheap easy fix, the latter not so. The advert was full of adjectives that the car was clearly not. The absent history immediately c******s the resale when it's time to change.

I have sold 3 cars of my own recently. All had every single bit of paperwork from the original purchase invoice to a set of wiper blades. Two of them I had bought used but they still came with the full "back to birth" paperwork.

I was wary of buying via a private sale as I have little knowledge of this model and avoided the smaller outfits in favour of a big name.

Thanks Avant, lost password for a long time and the site wasn't responding to "send my password" requests. All sorted now.

Honda CRV - Issues with used car from large dealer chain - Falkirk Bairn

It is foolhardy to take the word of someone who is unknown to you - to give them something around £10K for an unseen car is taking a lot of risk.

I have son who has, over the last 8-10 years bought 3 cars - approximately 6 months old 6,000 miles & am appalled that he saw the car & paid cash for it when the car did not come up to the standard of a 6,000 mile car - no actual scores or scrapes in the paintwork but dull, swirled paintwork, tarted up alloys that are far from pristine etc etc.

The only successful buy, where the car was immaculate, was a BMW520d which had 2,000 on the clock. They delivered it to his office with an empty tank despite the sales offer of a full tank - a letter to the dealer manager was required as the salesman was not available at any time but had been prior to the sale. He got the cheque but never bought another car from them.

Honda CRV - Issues with used car from large dealer chain - SteveLee

If you end up being saddled with the car, change the rear diff oil for the latest spec Honda oil - that usually sorts the groaning out.